Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thailand's English skills lowest in SEA

News Bandit

The JobStreet.com English Language Assessment (JELA) results show Singapore workers have the highest average score while Thai workers have the lowest. The results are from the 1,540,785 assessment takers in the Southeast Asia countries of Singapore, the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.

View the full article

Yes, saw this and you would think it was a concern for LOS, as jobs will have to be filled by Overseas Imports, like Philippinos.

I wonder if they're not all off somewhere learning Chinese?

On my very low level of English is satisfactory for me. I compose words consecutively and in so girls can communicate best. Grammar is a useless thing. :P 

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Not really surprising as English is an official second language in most of those countries.  It would be more interesting to see how Thailand compares to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc.

Come on now, the Thai Government made it a requirement that every Thai student must undergo at least two years of English Language training. That's why so many sandal wearing, Girl chasing, Native English speaking Hippies manage to get jobs here is LOS. Why it isn't sticking? Well maybe it's a cultural thing.

Countries like Laos, Cambodia simplly don't have the Public Funds to put up with these Tossers. I know during my time in Laos the people were consumed with the need to learn English, as they saw it as a direct correlation between earning capability.

Hey, maybe I just answered your question? Though some of my friends are legitimate, Degree qualified teachers, so maybe, as I think the OP suggests the Thai students are culturally inhibited.

Mind you, countries like Japan, Korea, in spite of their Homogenous societies,offer better wages/ lifestyles to Native english speaking teachers so go figure.

And from what i've heard, China is a good bet.

Pay peanuts.............................But in general all Thai education from primary to high school is appalling...............because educated people think, and complain, and demand, and a whole list of other things that does not suit the power elite but is good for us sexpats and sex tourists.

a option:

why (?) translating (all original) English programs to (only) Thai language on regional tv !?!

why not ???

just put Thai tv/subtitels in annex on screen ...

( were even the poor/Thai could get an advantage / a English course by hearing & reading it this way )

My Thai g/f boy is 13 and already has had a few years of English. Three years ago they added Chinese. The study manuals in English that are used are very poorly written and contain many errors. Lot's of graphic's and maybe that help's with the learning curve, no idea.

He is able to grasp more English at home playing games/simulations online that utilize English than what he learns at school. We of course must constantly monitor the sites he is going to so that he can learn good English and not slang. He's a willing student that works hard at all his study's, so it's hard to place the blame on him for inattention. Also, he's well aware of the long term benefit for him in learning the language, so he has remained motivated.

Seems to be a very slow process and in talking to him he tells me most of his friends are bored with trying to learn and are passed even though failing tests. We'll take the time to try to teach him at home, but maybe that alone won't be good enough to supply him with a good future.

It's not about what you got.. It's all about what you can still get!

My Thai g/f boy is 13 and already has had a few years of English. Three years ago they added Chinese. The study manuals in English that are used are very poorly written and contain many errors. Lot's of graphic's and maybe that help's with the learning curve, no idea.

He is able to grasp more English at home playing games/simulations online that utilize English than what he learns at school. We of course must constantly monitor the sites he is going to so that he can learn good English and not slang. He's a willing student that works hard at all his study's, so it's hard to place the blame on him for inattention. Also, he's well aware of the long term benefit for him in learning the language, so he has remained motivated.

Seems to be a very slow process and in talking to him he tells me most of his friends are bored with trying to learn and are passed even though failing tests. We'll take the time to try to teach him at home, but maybe that alone won't be good enough to supply him with a good future.

Well it wont hurt, and given another 5 years you'll probably find him doing very well.

An issue is they dont target the students who show aptitude and Desire, there should be extra programs for them but they get the same schooling as the least interested least skilled student.

They should have funding for old bargirls to go train to be english teachers as they have a better command of english than most of the thai teachers. AND they wont be moping around bars trying to get 1 barfine or a few dinks for the week

Member since Dec 06.

Archived