IGNORED

Angola to BKK who's travelling this route ?

Chris Los

Hi I will soon to be working In Angola on 28 on/off rotation, I was just hoping there might be some BM's here on a similar work pattern, who could let me know how many days travel to and from BKK, also what airlines are being used, also how long are the transfer times I should expect.

I have done some looking I did find Ethiopian Air do the route, I'm not sure who my company will fly me with at the moment, just looking for some info if anyone has any.

Thanks & Cheers all the Best

Chris

Ethiopian Air should be the best choice. Although I would definetly prefer going from luanda to joanesburgo through TAAG or South African Airlines. And then direct flight from joanesburg to bangkok by thai airlines. cheaper, faster and better airline service IMO (thai) The schedule should be something like

3:30h from luanda to joanesburgo TAAG

11h direct flight joanesburgo to bangkok THAI

Bangkok to Dubai (Emirates think they fly on Monday)

Dubai to Luanda

Luanda to Dubai (Thursday)

Dubai to Bankgok

All the guys I know that live in Thailand do this route.

Cheers Darkosirex

I'll have to look into how often these flights go out of Luanda, if daily I shouldn't lose to much of my time off travelling, thankfully I don't have to pay as my employer takes care of my flights, I just want to make sure I find out the best possibilities, so I can tell them what flights I want to take :)

Would be good if someone here is doing this trip right now, I'm sure they would be getting the most direct flight they can to and from LOS..

Thanks IFHP

the more Info I can get the better, I'm not sure my time off and return will fall on different days each time, it's good to know I may always have an airline going out on them days, hopefully without a hotel stay waiting for a flight or coming back to early. whatever it'll end up being I should still get at least 21 days of my 28 in LOS I hope that's worse case scenario :)

Just been taking note as I hope to be out there in jan doing the same 28 days on 28 day off with a bit of luck

Just been taking note as I hope to be out there in jan doing the same 28 days on 28 day off with a bit of luck

Hi Scaffman

I don't have a date yet, I've been in the process for 3 months now, everything is now in the Angolans hands, the pen pusher & rubber stamp brigade lol

Am hoping to be out by August.

When I know for sure what the crack is with the travel I will be sure to post how I'll be doing it on here, airlines used, timetables and anything I can be of help with,

I'm hoping as I work for the Dubai arm of the company, they will use Emirates but I know it all hinges on the times I need to be there for my shift not my time off, I guess we have to accept the travel is within the 28 off, I hope I can get good flights in and out without to many long transfers eating into my LOS time :)

Have you any idea what part you hope to be stationed at, I am going to Malongo, Cabinda, so that's my first and last flight I need every rotation..

Good luck with your mobilisation to Angola.  :GoldenSmile1:

I reckon Emirates is your best choice since my mate has been transferred to Angola flying out of Luanda to Dubai then on to Bangkok which he seems quite happy with.

Mind you he is Skywards Gold member gaining access to the posh lounges they have in Dubai for the A380's.

Regards,

Kurt

Regards,

Kurt

--- Is it in yet?

I also travel from BKK to Malongo , My route is via Dubai and onwards to Luanda on the way there , And on the return I go to Joberg with South African Airlines and then connect with Emirates again to Dubai and Bangkok. Emirates only fly out and in to Luanda on a Tuesday and a Thursday . Another option although quicker , but old planes and full of ignorant chinese is Ethiopia Airlines . They get you back quicker but you are sacrificing quality to do it. I hope this helps.

I reckon Emirates is your best choice since my mate has been transferred to Angola flying out of Luanda to Dubai then on to Bangkok which he seems quite happy with. Mind you he is Skywards Gold member gaining access to the posh lounges they have in Dubai for the A380's. Regards, Kurt Regards, Kurt

Cheers Kurt, yea would like to fly Emirates for sure..

I also travel from BKK to Malongo , My route is via Dubai and onwards to Luanda on the way there , And on the return I go to Joberg with South African Airlines and then connect with Emirates again to Dubai and Bangkok. Emirates only fly out and in to Luanda on a Tuesday and a Thursday . Another option although quicker , but old planes and full of ignorant chinese is Ethiopia Airlines . They get you back quicker but you are sacrificing quality to do it. I hope this helps.

are you on 28/28 ? if so how many days off on average do you lose ? I guess the different airlines that you take is because of the shift pattern starting and ending different days each rotation ? Cheers for the info Its great to know there are options

Just curious, what sort of work is there in Angola ?.  I assume that's why you're going there  :)

Just curious, what sort of work is there in Angola ?.  I assume that's why you're going there  :)

Angola is one of the largest exporters of Oil (and associated products) in the world

Value of exports (billion $) 65.69 Value of petroleum exports (billion $) 64.43

Fly to Johannesburg JNB with South African Air. Then via Dubai with Emirates or Mumbai with Jet Air.

Emirates are great.  I suspect Jet Air would be shit - quite a few poor reviews on Skytrax.

Malaysian used to fly BKK-KUL-JNB and on to Buenos Aires but that doesn't look like its running anymore (the architect for PETRONAS towers lived in BA)

Jaynewcastle 

Angola is one of the largest exporters of Oil (and associated products) in the world

Value of exports (billion $) 65.69 Value of petroleum exports (billion $) 64.43

Socrates beat me to it, & with a more factual answer than I could muster..I would have said just one word... OIL... :GoldenSmile1:

Fly to Johannesburg JNB with South African Air. Then via Dubai with Emirates or Mumbai with Jet Air.

Emirates are great.  I suspect Jet Air would be shit - quite a few poor reviews on Skytrax.

Malaysian used to fly BKK-KUL-JNB and on to Buenos Aires but that doesn't look like its running anymore (the architect for PETRONAS towers lived in BA)

Cheers LRanger. I am now getting some good choices so I can request the best flights from my employer :) My main goal is to spend as much of my 28 days in LOS

Jaynewcastle 

Socrates beat me to it, & with a more factual answer than I could muster..I would have said just one word... OIL... :GoldenSmile1:

I would imagine the rest is bananas - when I went there that was all it they seemed to produce apart from Oil

Its main export a few hundred years ago was slaves - I went to see the museum and when I heard some of the stories it made my blood boil

On a happier note they now export some of the best looking mixed race women in the world - that Portuguese blood is running through their veins - and the skin colour is perfect - nice big tits too in a lot of cases due to the diet

Its fucking expensive though and the gap between rich and poor is huge and I mean huge - went to the Shanty Town and its a disgrace considering how much money they receive from the Oil Industry

Middle classes have to have armed guards outside their homes - as much to do with status as it is to do with safety

Because of the Civil War they are very very wary of foreigners and its almost impossible to get in - you need letters of introduction etc etc and even then its tough

They have miles and miles of sandy beaches and great coastlines that are untapped and undeveloped - but they are not interested in tourists as they believe they will only bring problems with them

One thing they have in common with Thai people is they are fascinated by car crashes - they actually pull over on the middle of a motorway - almost causing another pile up - just so they can get involved

There is an expat scene over there - and according to people that live there and that I know there are a number of older guys with ''very young poor girls'' the families are remunerated for this......

Its way behind Thailand in terms of development but they came out of a 27 year Civil War just over 10 years ago - and the average age expectancy for a male during that period was 24 - so even now there is a shortage of men and it is common for an Angolan man to have 2 or 3 girlfriends  - if he has money he can literally have his pick of the bunch

They currently have a well respected good leader who prevailed after the Civil War because his opponent died - when this particular leader dies - all hell may break loose again - remind you of somewhere else?

Anyway there is loads more I could tell you but that's enough for one day....

Cheers Kurt, yea would like to fly Emirates for sure..

are you on 28/28 ? if so how many days off on average do you lose ? I guess the different airlines that you take is because of the shift pattern starting and ending different days each rotation ? Cheers for the info Its great to know there are options

Yes I am on 28 & 28 rotation . I leave Pattaya late monday night for the 01-35 A380 flight to Dubai . arrive in Dubai at 04-40 .Depart at 10-10 to Luanda arriving Luanda 15-00 then fly up to Cabinda arriving approx 18-00 then get a bus up to Malongo arriving in the camp at 20-00 . I have a night in the camp and travel offshore first thing Wednesday morning normally arriving on the Platform at 07-00 to start me trip.

On the way back I come off the Platform 15-00 tuesday then have a night in the camp then get the bus down to Cabinda then the flight down to Luanda arriving approx 09-00 then get the SAA flight 14-45 down to Jberg arriving at 19-00 . Then get the Emirates flight which leaves at 22-20 and arrives in Dubai at 08-20 then I get the Emirates flight again at 09-40 which arrives into Bangkok at 19-15 on wednesday evening. So the answer to your question in the region you still get a full 25/26 days out of your 28 days off .It would all depend on what day you will be crew changing and if you are working out of Luanda or Malongo , and also if you are offshore or onshore , There is too many variables to give you an exact answer.

Yes I am on 28 & 28 rotation . I leave Pattaya late monday night for the 01-35 A380 flight to Dubai . arrive in Dubai at 04-40 .Depart at 10-10 to Luanda arriving Luanda 15-00 then fly up to Cabinda arriving approx 18-00 then get a bus up to Malongo arriving in the camp at 20-00 . I have a night in the camp and travel offshore first thing Wednesday morning normally arriving on the Platform at 07-00 to start me trip.

On the way back I come off the Platform 15-00 tuesday then have a night in the camp then get the bus down to Cabinda then the flight down to Luanda arriving approx 09-00 then get the SAA flight 14-45 down to Jberg arriving at 19-00 . Then get the Emirates flight which leaves at 22-20 and arrives in Dubai at 08-20 then I get the Emirates flight again at 09-40 which arrives into Bangkok at 19-15 on wednesday evening. So the answer to your question in the region you still get a full 25/26 days out of your 28 days off .It would all depend on what day you will be crew changing and if you are working out of Luanda or Malongo , and also if you are offshore or onshore , There is too many variables to give you an exact answer.

Nice one that's very good to know, about the 25/26 days :)  I will be working out of Malongo, I believe I will be staying onshore working dayshift but getting helicopter out daily, met a guy a few weeks ago who gave me a bit of a heads up on the job, unfortunately he knew nothing about travel to Thailand, but did say there were a couple of guys doing this route also, so I hope to bump into them when I get there.

I am currently waiting on my entry visa, I hope its not much longer I am itching to get back to Thailand..

Thanks for the info, maybe catch you for a drink in Pattaya once I'm finally out there :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Scaffman

I don't have a date yet, I've been in the process for 3 months now, everything is now in the Angolans hands, the pen pusher & rubber stamp brigade lol

Am hoping to be out by August.

When I know for sure what the crack is with the travel I will be sure to post how I'll be doing it on here, airlines used, timetables and anything I can be of help with,

I'm hoping as I work for the Dubai arm of the company, they will use Emirates but I know it all hinges on the times I need to be there for my shift not my time off, I guess we have to accept the travel is within the 28 off, I hope I can get good flights in and out without to many long transfers eating into my LOS time :)

Have you any idea what part you hope to be stationed at, I am going to Malongo, Cabinda, so that's my first and last flight I need every rotation..

Good luck with your mobilisation to Angola.  :GoldenSmile1:

not sure it will be for Exxon Mobil offshore but soon as I find out will let you know have you got shorted out now

Archived