Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

I am a sickle cell disease patient. Can I travel to Pattaya?

Alomrani

I am a 38 years old and sickle cell disease SCD anemia person. I am planning to spent this summer in Pattaya. However, In case of pain crisis, Is there pain killer medicines? My pain medicines are Morphine Tablets/ Pills. Is it available in the pharmacies? i have a medical report issued from My doctor here in my country. Is it accepted there.

Best thanks,

I am a 38 years old and sickle cell disease SCD anemia person. I am planning to spent this summer in Pattaya. However, In case of pain crisis, Is there pain killer medicines? My pain medicines are Morphine Tablets/ Pills. Is it available in the pharmacies? i have a medical report issued from My doctor here in my country. Is it accepted there.

Best thanks,

If you go to the hospital in Pattaya and show them your script, they should have no problem renewing your meds.

Just be aware that you may have to pay 1000 baht to see a doctor and then have to pay for the meds too, but I am sure this will be a lot cheaper than expected.

Bill

My best pal and wingman on Pattaya trips is 100% disabled veteran (US) with chronic pain..  

He takes Morphine Sulfate 100mg daily for nerve damage, which is one of the strongest doses possible..

He brings his own medicine and has no problems doing that because he has the prescription.

That being said..  He has found it extremely difficult to get anything even close to Morphine Sulfate 5mg....

Pharmacies; No way...

Hospitals were extremely reluctant...

BigBill I know you recently had a great experience with the hospitals here in Patts..  But are you sure that he can get morphine that easy?

You realize that someone with chronic pain can die if they don't have their meds...   

Patients that take morphine have a physical addiction just like a heroin addict and if they don't maintain they could get really sick... 

You can't just replace morphine with oxycodone or other painkillers...

We're not here for a long time

Just a good time !

My best pal and wingman on Pattaya trips is 100% disabled veteran (US) with chronic pain..  

He takes Morphine Sulfate 100mg daily for nerve damage and which is one of the strongest doses possible..

He brings his own medicine and has no problems doing that because he has the prescription.

That being said..  He has found it extremely difficult to get anything even close to Morphine Sulfate 5mg.... Pharmacies No way...

Hospitals were extremely reluctant...

BigBill I know you recently had a good experience with the hospitals here in Patts..  But are you sure that he can get painkillers that easy?

You realize that someone with chronic pain can die if they don't have their meds...    patients that take morphine have a physical addiction just like a heroin addict and if they don't maintain they could get really sick...

If you have a script from your home country and see the doctors about it, they will give him what is needed. It might take a little time as they may have to check with his doctor that it is a real script and that he takes it on a regular basis, but as long as all is good in his home country, then he will be fine out there! The only thing I would say is to not leave it until he only has 1 days drugs left, it may take a day or two for them to get the conformation they need at the hospital!

Bill

If you have a script from your home country and see the doctors about it, they will give him what is needed. It might take a little time as they may have to check with his doctor that it is a real script and that he takes it on a regular basis, but as long as all is good in his home country, then he will be fine out there! The only thing I would say is to not leave it until he only has 1 days drugs left, it may take a day or two for them to get the conformation they need at the hospital!

Bill

That's good news for Alomrani~

Thx Bill!

Sheck

We're not here for a long time

Just a good time !

Just a few words of common sense that we all forget sometimes!

Before you leave your home country, tell your doctor where you are going and for how long. In many instances they will give you enough meds to last you until you get back.

Make sure you have the name and phone number of your doctor when/if you go to the hospital.

Try and go to the hospital when your doctors are open back home, it will speed things up if they need to speak to your doctor first.

I personally would ask the doctor to write me a note stating that I need these meds as ongoing pain management and that this is the treatment you receive back home. It may not carry that much weight, but it will be a note with your doctors name and number on it and your doctor will be aware that there maybe a need for them to phone him.

Bill

This does not answer the question but twigged my memory about something. Be vary careful when travelling with drugs like this. One area that I know it could cause problem is in the middle east. Don't travel through that area with drugs like this. A British woman was arrested in Dubai and held for like 8 weeks just because she had codeine in her system.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

This does not answer the question but twigged my memory about something. Be vary careful when travelling with drugs like this. One area that I know it could cause problem is in the middle east. Don't travel through that area with drugs like this. A British woman was arrested in Dubai and held for like 8 weeks just because she had codeine in her system.

That is exactly why I take direct flights, I know there is no need to worry in Thailand about the meds I carry as long as I have the correct docs to prove they are mine and prescribed.

Some of the meds I take are morphine based and could cause me troubles in a lot of other countries(including Thailand if I didn't have the paperwork for them).

Bill

That is exactly why I take direct flights, I know there is no need to worry in Thailand about the meds I carry as long as I have the correct docs to prove they are mine and prescribed.

Some of the meds I take are morphine based and could cause me troubles in a lot of other countries(including Thailand if I didn't have the paperwork for them).

Bill

Yes but in the countries that I am talking about your medical certificates mean nothing. The woman that I posted about had a doctor tell them that it was prescribed and they didn't care. I think you already know this and just posting so that others get the correct message.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Perhaps I'm missing something - why doesn't OP simply see his doc in Bahrain, explain travel plans and obtain sufficient drugs to cover his visit to LOS? 

(He should, of course, travel with a doctor's note).

... a prescription from a non-Thai board certified physician is not accepted by Thai pharmacies.

... I have heard over the years from multiple sources that morphine is not easily prescribed by Thai physicians, for reasons still unknown to me ... that might be regulatory, or the local Thai medical culture ... recall that Thailand served for a long, long time as the gateway to the world for the Golden Triangle, then the largest source for the world's illicit opiates ... opium addiction amongst Thais was then quite wide here.

... suggest you e-mail Bumrungrad Hospital in BKK (www.bumrungrad.com), arguably the preeminent medical center in Thailand ... their patients are overwhelmingly international, and will have certainly encountered this question.

... my experience at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital leads me to believe it is the best in Pattaya (others here might suggest others) ... you would do well to correspond with a physician here with relevant expertise in a pain management related discipline before coming here (pain management specialization, outside of the adult entertainment zones of course, is unavailable here) ... if you will stay in BKK, I would do the same there.

... if you get into medical trouble here, you need to be prepared to get yourself out ... on your own ... do not even think you can rely upon any local outside of an ER to have the remotest idea of what to do ... they might be expected to freak dealing with a farang with a major medical problem.

... check your insurance coverage ... check on medical evacuation if you find this could be a problem for you ... a rider on your existing policy for international travel to Thailand might be available.

... worst case ... if there are no alternatives to morphine and morphine availability here appears unlikely, check into evacuating out of here to nearby countries where pain management is a recognized field and morphine is more liberally prescribed ... SIN is 2-1/2 hours gate-to-gate.

... (and there's also upcountry Laos, where local dens could keep you in la-la land for weeks at a time ... just pay someone enough money to keep you hydrated and to pull you out of there, sober you up and clean you up when your visa is due to expire ... ummm ... actually, I am not kidding about this ... been a long time, but I believe they are still up there).

... well ... back to more practical alternatives, which do not involve the risk of testicle manacles and those nasty, cold, copper anal cathodes.

... while Bumrungrad Hospital is very good, and has some very competent western-trained physicians, this issue might be a regulatory issue over which physicians have no control ... do your homework.

... read more forum discussion at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/261427-morphine-in-thailand/

... that's all I got, man ... I gotta' go ... good luck.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

Archived