IGNORED

Any (good) hotel rooms in HKG under $100 USD?

muffhunter1

Seems all the posts here on hotel rooms in Hong Kong are all well above $100 USD. Anyone know of any (good) places under that amount or is that the going rate there?

Thx

There are some places on Nathan Road with really small rooms in the range of $30 - $35. You can find them on Agoda (sort by 1 Star to 5 Star in the Tsim Sha Tsui section). I stayed in one of these for a night with an early plane flight the next morning. They are so small you don't want to be there except to sleep.

You can get a good deal and much larger room if you stay farther out. In particular, I've stayed at the Youth Square Y-Loft. It's just outside the last subway stop on the east end of Hong Kong island. It's about a 25 minute ride to/from Central. The rooms are huge compared to what you'll get for $100 in the center of things.

image001.jpg

Sorry, double post. Got some strange note about can't post multiple messages in a short time, so I ended up posting it again. 

Depends upon your definition of "good" of course. Remember that HK is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Prices are more akin to London than they are to Bangkok. The different is that HK does a better line in flea pits than anywhere in Europe. I would worry about "bargains" in HK. Last time I was there (about 3 years ago) the cheapest decent hotel that I could find was about USD 90 for a very tiny room in a business hotel a fair distance away from anywhere you would want to be. I rather doubt the prices have got any less in recent years. Do your research. Look on Agoda, and if you find bargains check out reviews on Tripadvisor. Just remember that when hotel rooms are described as "small" in HK, they probably mean marginally larger than the bed, with a bathroom about the size of the average plane toilet! If you want comparable size/quality of rooms to the ones you can very reasonably get in Thailand you will probably have to pay a good deal more than a hundred dollars!

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

Thanks for the replies.

I plan to be there for only 3 nights in February, get in at 11:50 am so I have 1/2 of one day and 2 more full days. Seems it is HIGH season, I was just looking at room rates now (May) as opposed to February. I found for example Citadines Hongkong Ashley which is in very good location and good reviews would be $69 now and $372 in February!

I am aware of price increase in high season but this is outragious!

Yes, Tode1640, I have been reading reviews and heavy in trip advisor. Found a room at Ibis Hong Kong Central for $104 at the time I will be there which appears now to be a bargain.

philkrenshaw, I will check out the reviews and location for Y loft rooms. The price looks good, just don't want to spend to much time commuting to areas I would like to see. 

Yes, Tode1640, I have been reading reviews and heavy in trip advisor. Found a room at Ibis Hong Kong Central for $104 at the time I will be there which appears now to be a bargain.

That is probably as good as you are going to get around that area.  Ibis hotels are quite reliable budget business hotels - just in HK expect the rooms to be very, very small!  HK Central is a good area for getting to other places.  There is very little of interest in Central itself, it is the business district, but it is only a few minutes walk to the ferry terminal where you can get across to Kowloon, and a couple of stops on the MTR to Wan Chai - which is the centre of HK nightlife.  I would generally take the MTR rather than bus/tram or taxi, because when the HK traffic seizes up it gridlocks like nowhere else on earth!

Have a good time, it is a great city - I love it dearly.

Trip Reports:

Mark Twain

Sorry, double post. Got some strange note about can't post multiple messages in a short time, so I ended up posting it again.

Some very good reviews on Y-Loft! MTR seems close walking distance.

Did it take long to get to some more tourist areas?

That is probably as good as you are going to get around that area.  Ibis hotels are quite reliable budget business hotels - just in HK expect the rooms to be very, very small!  HK Central is a good area for getting to other places.  There is very little of interest in Central itself, it is the business district, but it is only a few minutes walk to the ferry terminal where you can get across to Kowloon, and a couple of stops on the MTR to Wan Chai - which is the centre of HK nightlife.  I would generally take the MTR rather than bus/tram or taxi, because when the HK traffic seizes up it gridlocks like nowhere else on earth!

Have a good time, it is a great city - I love it dearly.

Thanks for the info! I am currently reading about the Y-Loft given above. Lot's of great reviews and price is very good also. Just wonder about commute to the more tourist areas as this trip is based on more to get a taste for the city. Will go to LOS from there to take care of my other needs.

I will check out the reviews and location for Y loft rooms. The price looks good, just don't want to spend to much time commuting to areas I would like to see. 

The HK MTR is very good (seriously a different league to anything in Bangkok, it is one of the best metros in the world), so it would probably only add an extra 30 minutes to your journey times.  The MTR does stop running at about 1am, so if you are out late you would be getting back by taxi, and if you get caught over in Kowloon late at night taxis will be hard to find and expensive (Kowloon taxi drivers hate coming through the tunnel).

Do read your reviews and make sure you know what you are getting.  "Y-Loft Youth Square" sounds a bit hostelly to me!  It might be OK, but if things are cheap in HK it is usually for a reason!

Trip Reports:

Mark Twain

Checking the booking web sites for Y-loft to see what prices are for that time and all say no rooms available for those dates! Sent a request direct to Y-Loft and waiting for responce.

I have stayed at Y-Loft and it is nothing like a hostel.

It's a fairly new building, connected by a short skyway over the streets to the MTR station.

I think I was on the 11th floor. The bottom 6 or 7 floors are classrooms, small shops, a couple restaurants and performance venues mostly for youth. The room was clean and well appointed, at least twice the size of the $100+ places you'll find in the tourist areas.

On the island I can recommend Ibis North Point. Rooms are small but clean, fresh and fairly new and seems a good value for the location.

On the peninsula, the Ramada Kowloon hotel is very nice with larger rooms and walking distance to many touristy places, but maybe out of your price range. I stayed there a couple times when everything was cheap due to the SARS breakout scaring away tourists.

I have stayed at Y-Loft and it is nothing like a hostel.

It's a fairly new building, connected by a short skyway over the streets to the MTR station.

I think I was on the 11th floor. The bottom 6 or 7 floors are classrooms, small shops, a couple restaurants and performance venues mostly for youth. The room was clean and well appointed, at least twice the size of the $100+ places you'll find in the tourist areas.

On the island I can recommend Ibis North Point. Rooms are small but clean, fresh and fairly new and seems a good value for the location.

On the peninsula, the Ramada Kowloon hotel is very nice with larger rooms and walking distance to many touristy places, but maybe out of your price range. I stayed there a couple times when everything was cheap due to the SARS breakout scaring away tourists.

I read the reviews and saw the pictures of the rooms at Y-loft in Trip Review and all look very good. Still have not heard back from them about any openings. 

There must be something more than just high season going on during that time that all the hotels are booked already.

I read the reviews and saw the pictures of the rooms at Y-loft in Trip Review and all look very good. Still have not heard back from them about any openings. 

There must be something more than just high season going on during that time that all the hotels are booked already.

Yes. Once I was there when they were having some kind of international dragon boat races in Victoria Harbor. Getting a room was tough.

The Dragon Boat festival is in June, and Hong Kong has always got something big on.  That is part of what makes it such a great place, but it does make finding a room at short notice tough (and/or expensive!).

Trip Reports:

Mark Twain

The Dragon Boat festival is in June, and Hong Kong has always got something big on.  That is part of what makes it such a great place, but it does make finding a room at short notice tough (and/or expensive!).

I'm planning on being there in Feb of 2014!……that's why I can't figure out why full already.

Seems a long ways out for rooms being gone.

• 4 weeks later...

Any further progress on booking a hotel muffhunter1 ?. 

Y-Loft still showing sold out in Feb 2014

• 3 weeks later...

Any further progress on booking a hotel muffhunter1 ?. 

Y-Loft still showing sold out in Feb 2014

I found something called "Butterfly on Victoria Botique hotel" for $82, has great reviews. The Y-Loft did get back toy me and said to check back later in the year. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can also try to rent an apartment from

https://www.airbnb.com/

Hope that options helps

post-22007-0-43851400-1348179382.png

Check it before you Wreck it !!!!

Gamora: Quill, your ship is dirty.

Peter Quill: She has no idea. If she had a black light, this ship would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

• 4 weeks later...

philkrenshaw,

It would appear there is a little deception on prices at the Y-Loft. They came back to me again after inquiring about room rates that the current rate is $800 HKD and the ad you gave shows $400. They told me they still do not have new rates established for next year and to check again in October!

This place is smelling fishy to me.

philkrenshaw,

It would appear there is a little deception on prices at the Y-Loft. They came back to me again after inquiring about room rates that the current rate is $800 HKD and the ad you gave shows $400. They told me they still do not have new rates established for next year and to check again in October!

This place is smelling fishy to me.

To be fair, what I posted wasn't exactly an ad. It was from an e-mail offer they sent me back in May (when you started this thread), and it was probably only good for a limited time. Just like Thailand, there are high and low seasons in Hong Kong. For example, right now, on Agoda, Y-Loft rooms are $620 HKD for early September.

To be fair, what I posted wasn't exactly an ad. It was from an e-mail offer they sent me back in May (when you started this thread), and it was probably only good for a limited time. Just like Thailand, there are high and low seasons in Hong Kong. For example, right now, on Agoda, Y-Loft rooms are $620 HKD for early September.

Yes, I saw after I made the last post the ad said May 1-June 30. I assume they will be higher in February when I plan to go.

• 3 months later...

Ok, I booked in February at "Butterfly on Victoria Boutique" for 3 nights. Waited to long and price went from $82 USD- $120 USD. Will give report later. In the mean time, has anyone else any experience with the area?

Thx

• 10 months later...

FYI, I stayed at the Butterfly on Victoria and enjoyed it very much!

Not often you start out by complimenting the front staff but this group is exceptional!! always smiles and very helpful.
Now for the hotel. As others have said it is very well located to get to the Metro station which is about a 2 block walk. The weather when I was there was overcast with rain at times so the outside renovation did not bother me, besides who wants to see Hong Kong from their hotel room window!! Get out and live it and stop complaining.

I was on the 26th floor in very nice room. Not a big room in American standards however, I new what to expect when reading about the room size in Hong Kong and was pleased. It was clean, had good wifi, large screen TV and all the toiletries you need. There are a few restaurants in the neighborhood and you can always catch the metro to go downtown for a bite to eat.
I enjoyed the stay, wish the weather had been better for photos.
I would recommend staying there.

Sorry so long for review, I forgot that about it.

Archived