Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

For Americans who have just recently received retirement visa?

chang beer

Hi guys. Time after time I read here and in other Thailand forums that ONE(US citizen only) does not need to show,with a original copy of bank statements,confirming the appropriate funds of 800,000 bht in the Thai Bank for a retirement visa..Just need to visit local U.S. consulate and have a LETTER stating that one does in fact have enough funds!. They, the U.S consulate does not even check to confirm the appropriate amount in the bank. JUST YOUR WORD is good enough.

Is this true when applying for the retirement visa for the first time? or this only applies when retirement visa is first granted to you and only for renewals?

Thank you

chok dii

Beer

For your extension in Thailand,

to get a non immigrant "O" at any embassy, all u really need show is ur passport an on the form state ur applying for reasons of retirement an you will obtain a single non "o" entry visa. Of course you must be over 50.

This is what ur signing and swearing to is true. NO mention of how much funds u have

I also affirm that I receive US$ _________________ every month from the United States Government and/or other sources. I am applying for a Thai visa/ an extension of a current Thai visa and any assistance you can provide in this request will be greatly appreciated

You only need a Thai bank statement if ur using the combo method for ur extension

There is a form you fill out attesting to your monthly income. It is available on the U.S. embassy web site. You then take it in to the embassy and they will notarize it . Be aware that at times the people at immigration will ask to see actual proof. That hasn't happened to me but it did to a friend of mine.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

Hi guys. Time after time I read here and in other Thailand forums that ONE(US citizen only) does not need to show,with a original copy of bank statements,confirming the appropriate funds of 800,000 bht in the Thai Bank for a retirement visa..Just need to visit local U.S. consulate and have a LETTER stating that one does in fact have enough funds!. They, the U.S consulate does not even check to confirm the appropriate amount in the bank. JUST YOUR WORD is good enough.

Is this true when applying for the retirement visa for the first time? or this only applies when retirement visa is first granted to you and only for renewals?

Thank you

chok dii

Beer

This is correct and the reason proof is not normally needed is because like the Aussies it is a stat declaration so in their eyes your word is enough, The Brits need to see proof of your income because it is a letter not a stat dec,

Before you go the US Embassy make sure you make an appointment online or they may not let you in,

Posted Image

This is correct and the reason proof is not normally needed is because like the Aussies it is a stat declaration so in their eyes your word is enough, The Brits need to see proof of your income because it is a letter not a stat dec,

Before you go the US Embassy make sure you make an appointment online or they may not let you in,

Thank you the a quick reply Key. Important question is. If I were to apply for a retirement visa..with doctors check up list and criminal records and so forth here in LOS ANGELES California, I bet they will ask for my monthly statement..savings account or from stock brokerage firms I'm with. Chuck Schwab,T.D. Ameritrade to meet the minimum requirements?  Anyone here applied for it here in Los Angeles.?.

Thank you again

BEER :GoldenSmile1:  :Think1:  :Beer1:

Thank you the a quick reply Key. Important question is. If I were to apply for a retirement visa..with doctors check up list and criminal records and so forth here in LOS ANGELES California, I bet they will ask for my monthly statement..savings account or from stock brokerage firms I'm with. Chuck Schwab,T.D. Ameritrade to meet the minimum requirements?  Anyone here applied for it here in Los Angeles.?.

Thank you again

BEER :GoldenSmile1:  :Think1:  :Beer1:

Can't answer the primary question, but wanted to chime in on Schwab -- I assume you have an "investor checking account" -- if not get one asap!  

They refund ATM charges and do not charge a foreign ATM fee.  That would allow you to keep you money here and draw it out whenever you need it (or even draw it out to fund a Thai bank account in baht).  I had a short trip (about 8 or 9 nights) and hardly used it on my last trip, but still managed to get $30+ refunded in ATM charges.  Next trip, I am planning to use it as my primary funding source, taking only about 1/3 of my money in cash.

I'd also love to hear how things go with application in L.A. -- if I ever get to that lucky spot, I would be doing the paperwork here, as well.

do not attempt to do ANY visa in LA. they will make you jump thru any unnecessary hoops.

wait til u arrive in LOS. get the letter from US embassy & deposit some money in a thai bank account (100K thb +)so they can see you have living funds. if you have any problems PM me for other solutions....

u dont need a doctor exam in LOS...

as been said;

Apply for a single entry non immigrant "O" visa for reasons of retirement,

u do not need show any money in any bank, criminal check and as long as your over 50 they will grant you the visa.

Once ur in Thailand put your 800,000 in the bank (unless your going on a combo method,  my means to get my retirement extension)

As long as you have some sort of income your ok ( even if its only $200/month)

If your going for the full 800,000 in the bank it needs be there 2 months before u apply for a retirement EXTENSION at immigration.

NO police check and maybe u will need a 100-200 baht med exam but not all immigrations require one ( Phuket does not)

If your doing the combo u need show an income/pension and than get the letter from the us embassy ( as i quoted above)  or from one of their consolute visits to other places.  You then need have the remainder of the funds in the bank BUT IT DOES NOT BE SEASONED

so if ur claiming an pension of $200/month ( say 6,000 baht) u will need  730,000 baht in the bank (to make up 800,000)

$1,000/month income (360,000 baht/year) you would than need a balance of 800,000- 360,000= 440,000++ ( to account for exchange fluctuation)  in the bank

Just having any amount in the bank does not count   it must add up to the remainder of the 800,000 needed.

Easy

I simply deposited 800,000 baht in the bank and immediately applied.  They gave me a 90 day visa until the money was in the bank for 90 days.  I returned and got my retirement visa.  I saw a huge German get in a pissing contest about his proof of income and the officer flipped out!  It just seems so easy to simply deposit the 800,000 baht. Kbank has a 14 month promotion at 3.2 %  one of the visa companies on soi bukhao  (cambodia visa?) will let you use their account, and get you a retirement visa for 19000 baht!  no money needed of your own

• 4 months later...

as been said;

Apply for a single entry non immigrant "O" visa for reasons of retirement,

u do not need show any money in any bank, criminal check and as long as your over 50 they will grant you the visa.

Once ur in Thailand put your 800,000 in the bank (unless your going on a combo method,  my means to get my retirement extension)

As long as you have some sort of income your ok ( even if its only $200/month)

If your going for the full 800,000 in the bank it needs be there 2 months before u apply for a retirement EXTENSION at immigration.

NO police check and maybe u will need a 100-200 baht med exam but not all immigrations require one ( Phuket does not)

If your doing the combo u need show an income/pension and than get the letter from the us embassy ( as i quoted above)  or from one of their consolute visits to other places.  You then need have the remainder of the funds in the bank BUT IT DOES NOT BE SEASONED

so if ur claiming an pension of $200/month ( say 6,000 baht) u will need  730,000 baht in the bank (to make up 800,000)

$1,000/month income (360,000 baht/year) you would than need a balance of 800,000- 360,000= 440,000++ ( to account for exchange fluctuation)  in the bank

Just having any amount in the bank does not count   it must add up to the remainder of the 800,000 needed.

Easy

So.  If my monthly pension is $3000 thousand a month, which exceeds 800k a year, I should not need anything in the bank?  Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes this is correct, money in the bank or an income or a combination of money and income

This will help http://www.keyvisathailand.com/thai-visas/retirement-visa-in-thailand-flowchart/

Posted Image

Can't answer the primary question, but wanted to chime in on Schwab -- I assume you have an "investor checking account" -- if not get one asap!  

They refund ATM charges and do not charge a foreign ATM fee.  That would allow you to keep you money here and draw it out whenever you need it (or even draw it out to fund a Thai bank account in baht).  I had a short trip (about 8 or 9 nights) and hardly used it on my last trip, but still managed to get $30+ refunded in ATM charges.  Next trip, I am planning to use it as my primary funding source, taking only about 1/3 of my money in cash.

I'd also love to hear how things go with application in L.A. -- if I ever get to that lucky spot, I would be doing the paperwork here, as well.

Schwab - I wish they had a referral program!! Also to withdrawal the most cash if you need to, call them and ask for a permanent daily limit or a temp daily limit raise. And then you go the yellow ATM (Krungsi or whatever) that will give you 30,000 baht at a time vs 20,000 like other ATMs. 

Side note: You are not supposed to say that you are not living in the USA or else the will need to cancel your account (said 2 customer service reps from different companies). So keep a PO Box in the USA or an address and always say you're traveling and then get electronic statements. This is true for most credit cards as well. You'll have to call in to verify transactions once in a while and say that you're traveling for an extended period of time. 

Archived