Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

flying with emirates

LaaMok

Any one flown with emirates recently? They tell me 20kg suitcase maximum and 7 kg hand luggage maximum. This takes the piss.. i have lots of stuff to bring.. any ideas guys can i push it.. i mean are they weighing hand luggage at the moment?

I hear it varies with different companies.. never had it weighed before tho.

When i flew out in December from Manchester they semed pretty strict with people who were seemingly 'over' with their baggage.I never have that problem as i don't take much luggage out with me.

'From the Purr of Pattaya to the Lure of Luzon!'

When you live here you bring some weird stuff back with you !

I was 2 K over on Emirates in Jan so I rang them to ask how much .

Can`t remember how much but she told me that they arn`t that strict and to try smiling at the check in girl.

Worked like a charm so I didn`t have to choose between dumping the Pressure cooker ( Sad bastard , I know ! ) or the 2 K of madras curry powder !

The cattle class is 20k , definitely!

They charged you 125 quid because you are fat no wonder they don't fly out of the states :FWC:

A Thai girls arsehole is just like a 9 volt battery you know you shouldn't but sooner or later you will put your tounge in it

I actually rang up and checked they said the person at the desk can use descretion and allow 5-8 kg over 20kg.. The problem i had was that my laptop had to be processed as baggage as they only allow one bag.. and the laptop wouldnt fit in the suitcase.

So the laptop will most likely be ruined.

I actually rang up and checked they said the person at the desk can use descretion and allow 5-8 kg over 20kg.. The problem i had was that my laptop had to be processed as baggage as they only allow one bag.. and the laptop wouldnt fit in the suitcase.

So the laptop will most likely be ruined.

Treat yourself to one of the large size computer cases they have here and put all your other stuff as well as the computer in it .

No problem and the computer mall sells them for peanuts .

I have sandwiches ( The stopover in Dubai has horrendous prices for food and six pound a pint beer ), a book , my reading glasses , chili powder ( The foods too bland ) and a pair of shorts after that unfortunate incident with the white cotton pants and the vindaloo I had had in rusholme the night before , last June ! :Blush1:

Quoted from shoutbox 13-2-2007

judge_tom - hi there,about emirates and the 20 kilos.i can tell you that it all depends on where u book ur ticket.i recently flew to the Philippines with klm and they also have a 20 k limit,which as u say is taking the piss.but when i booked my ticket with crystal travel i made sure that i was able to take 30 k with me and that does not include 7k hand luggage.as a frequent flyer i find its best to stick with one airline,emirates are brill,and to join there skywards airmiles.its free to join but the benefits are great,such as no waiting in line even if ur flying economy,extra baggage allowance and free up grades to business class.just ask at check in.just 2 trips to thailand a year and u would get silver membership.hope this is a benefit to ur members although i get the feeling i'm teaching grandma to suck eggs.judge_tom

cheers Tom

Quoted from shoutbox 13-2-2007

judge_tom - hi there,about emirates and the 20 kilos.i can tell you that it all depends on where u book ur ticket.i recently flew to the philippines with klm and they also have a 20 k limit,which as u say is taking the piss.but when i booked my ticket with crystal travel i made sure that i was able to take 30 k with me and that does not include 7k hand luggage.as a frequent flyer i find its best to stick with one airline,emirates are brill,and to join there skywards airmiles.its free to join but the benefits are great,such as no waiting in line even if ur flying economy,extra baggage allowance and free up grades to business class.just ask at check in.just 2 trips to thailand a year and u would get silver membership.hope this is a benefit to ur members although i get the feeling i'm teaching grandma to suck eggs.judge_tom

cheers Tom

I mostly travel Emirates on my flights to LOS and have joined there frequent flyer scheme. Only thing is..theyve put a big fuel surcharge on there flights now so the flights have gone up considerably.

When i fly to LOS my suitcase usually weighs in at around 14kgs..... on my return flight it usually weighs between 27-30kgs.(clothes and cigs make up the extra weight)

Ive never been charged for any extra weight...but im a hansum man!!

1 word of advice...when your bags at its heaviest..either going out or return..get to the check in ASAP. 1st come 1st served i think applies here.

Dean

Scars are a reminder that the past was Real!

I'm not a big world traveler but i think Emirates is the cat's meow. I have flown Thai, KLM and Continental. KLM is the only one that comes close!

I've flown over 100k miles with them and they always treat me right.

I was overweight last December on my trip back to the States. Emirates did not charge me a dime but Continental did.

Emirates is starting a direct 17 hour flight from Dubai to Houston in December. That will be my choice from now on. No more Continental for me!

I just got a free flight to LOS with my miles. 12 days and a wake up!! tongue.gif

LTC

Edited by Long Tall Cowboy

I hope i don't lose the ranch..........

When I flew out of Manchester last November with Emirates they were very srict with the weight of the cabin bagage. It was the first item weighed and I got told to go away from the counter and lose some weight from it. Most of the weight was camera gear. Eventually I managed to get the weight below the allowed limit. Manchester were also being very strict on the only one piece of luggage. But when I was wandering through Dubai airport waiting for my onward flight to Bangkok I saw plenty transfer passengers with 2 or more pieces of hand luggage :mad:

Flying back from Bangkok my cabin baggage wasn't checked for weight. :)

Gone Bananas!!!

uk airports have really tightened up on hand baggage,i used to travel with one small bag about 9kg got 3 changes of clothes in it,but last time got to airport said bag too big and too heavy,went to bogs put on extra socks,tshirt, put more clothes in my pockets,got to desk still said bag was oversize i told them to measure it (it was standard size for hand luggage) they let me pass,then it was back to the bog to take off the extra clothes. from now on i will just take a big case and check it in, save on my laundry bills.

is the duty free expensive in Dubai too?? or just "refreshments"??

The duty free shops at Dubai airport are great, particularly for spirits/liquers, a third to half the price of the UK. Electronics are a little cheaper or the same e.g. SE W850i was about £50 cheaper there than the cheapest price I could find in the UK, last month.

Any one flown with emirates recently? They tell me 20kg suitcase maximum and 7 kg hand luggage maximum. This takes the piss.. i have lots of stuff to bring.. any ideas guys can i push it.. i mean are they weighing hand luggage at the moment?

I hear it varies with different companies.. never had it weighed before tho.

I normally fly Emirates from Manchester, last trip was January. I travel with carry-on luggage only, nothing in the hold. They have a 15 pounds carry-on limit, which is always a challenge. They've always weighed my luggage. You can push the carry-on limit slightly, they'll forgive a couple of pounds, but I wouldn't chance it with more.

The duty free shops at Dubai airport are great, particularly for spirits/liquers, a third to half the price of the UK. Electronics are a little cheaper or the same e.g. SE W850i was about £50 cheaper there than the cheapest price I could find in the UK, last month.

would you compare them with prices in bahrain?? we paid about £4 for a litre of bacardi oro

lovely it was too :D

would you compare them with prices in bahrain?? we paid about £4 for a litre of bacardi oro

lovely it was too :D

Same same, I think I paid about £3.50 for a litre of Vat 69.

:D

but last time got to airport said bag too big and too heavy,went to bogs put on extra socks,tshirt, put more clothes in my pockets,

Think I'll try that next time B)

I used to put some clothes in my hand luggage in cease my hold luggage got lost. Will definitely put extra lothes on for check-in and the post-check-in make a visit to the toilets to take a layer off to put in the hand luggage ^_^

Gone Bananas!!!

• 4 weeks later...

If you join Qatar's Privilege Club your baggage allowance increases from 20Kg to 32Kg. It might be worth checking with Emirates to see if they offer a similar bonus for joining their frequent flyer scheme.

Or switch to Qatar !

• 2 weeks later...

Booked again with Emirates for my May/June trip - £508 inc all taxes from Birmingham.... ^_^

Edited by TheFiend

Gone Bananas!!!

• 1 year later...

20kg for cattle class and 7 kg for hand baggage.

Join the skywards and same up points, a few flights to UK will put you onto silver and you will have 32kg then, and be allowed in the lounge for free food and drink.. cant beat it.

Also if you get on Emirates flight in the UK there is no way off bluffing them with your excess baggage, you have to take the hit and pay the extra. very strict.

I know its crap when you see all these other people arriving and they have about 3 cabin bags each!!!! A while back Emirates where checking before you got on the flight in the waiting area, and if you had a heavy bag it had to go in the hold, but sadly they seem to have stopped this.