Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

They will end up canceling our Nov Qatar biz class flight and hope they let me reschedule it for sometime in 2021 vs a refund.

Did you get the email about the changes to our November flights?

I thought it would be cancellation notice, but it was a VERY minor tweak to flight times.

At this point, my “aspirational flight” is ANYTHING that gets me back into Thailand! 5555

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Did you get the email about the changes to our November flights?

I thought it would be cancellation notice, but it was a VERY minor tweak to flight times.

At this point, my “aspirational flight” is ANYTHING that gets me back into Thailand! 5555

Haha yeah saw that 5 min schedule change 555.  Think they won't cancel it until nov..

On 10/09/2020 at 14:39, Luv2Phuket said:

My current obsession is building Hilton Honors points for a trip NEXT November (or maybe the aforementioned summer trip....or both!). After this month, I'm still going to be about 150,000 points shy of my goal (480,000 points for two 5-night stays in Pattaya). I have plenty of time to grow them.

My question to you @Luv2Phuket is Hilton guest friendly?  
I remember a friend stayed once many years ago and I thought they fined him 1000B every time they caught him bringing in a GF.  Maybe I'm wrong...

I like you. Hell, you can even fuck my sister.

My question to you [mention=32621]Luv2Phuket[/mention] is Hilton guest friendly?  
I remember a friend stayed once many years ago and I thought they fined him 1000B every time they caught him bringing in a GF.  Maybe I'm wrong...

I have stayed there double-digit times - 110% guest friendly

• Like 2

My question to you [mention=32621]Luv2Phuket[/mention] is Hilton guest friendly?  
I have stayed several times at Hilton also and yes can confirm is guest friendly. I usually had enough points for an executive room. They take you from reception to another room for executive check in. The lady checking me in would always tell me I could have guests and please have them leave ID with guard or reception.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On the Hilton, I should add that they DID cockblock me once because the girl was 19. Manager on duty said they had a firm "20+ Rule," which had never been explained to me (and I had taken a 19 year old on prior trips). I was pissed and didn't react very well. I think there was a recent push to enforce that rule. Caveat monger.

On the flip side, I ahve had multiple threesome there, with no issues or joinder fees for them either.

On 15/09/2020 at 16:09, Luv2Phuket said:

While I have been not-so-patiently waiting/hoping for a big bump in the Sapphire Reserve bonus, Chase just announced a HUGE bump in the Sapphire Preferred bonus - now up to 80,000 UR after $4,000 spend in 3 months:

https://onemileatatime.com/chase-sapphire-preferred-80k-bonus/

Anyone who currently holds a Sapphire card OR who has received a Sapphire bonus within the past 48 months is ineligible. Also, Chase's 5/24 rule applies to this product.

I've GOT to do a better job of tracking and logging when I open and close accounts moving forward! I had a Chase Sapphire Preferred year ago and am pretty damn sure the bonus hit more than 48 months ago, but I'm not 110% positive.  I also think that I am cool with 5/24, but unclear on it, as well.

I currently have 3 personal Chase cards and 2 business cards, so they may take issue with that.  I had an issue in the past where Chase said I had too many accounts open, but I have closed a few since then.

@Luv2Phuket, creditkarma's got a pretty decent, free, regularly-updated (and detailed) overview of your credit report from two sources. They also list your credit card opening dates, so you can see if (for example) your Dell financing showed up as a credit card account or what your reported balances were per card (and %'s, how much they're affecting your report, etc). This helped me move my payment a few days ahead of schedule so that my loading up on sign-up bonuses didn't result in a high reported balance % since the balance was being reported a few days prior to being paid off in full. 

They make their money by suggesting new credit cards for you to sign up for (and now I think they want to do my taxes for me), but you can skip all of those and just use the platform for free. 

On the Hilton, I should add that they DID cockblock me once because the girl was 19. Manager on duty said they had a firm "20+ Rule," which had never been explained to me (and I had taken a 19 year old on prior trips). I was pissed and didn't react very well. I think there was a recent push to enforce that rule. Caveat monger.
On the flip side, I ahve had multiple threesome there, with no issues or joinder fees for them either.
Had that happen once on my last stay. Ended up going through Central, grabbed a bite to eat and then using the mall elevator to go up. There was a large group in the elevator and we stayed with them while walking to the room elevators. Didn't even notice us.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Guys, could use a little advice.

I am booked mid October on Qatar Airlines from US to Bangkok through Doha.

My understanding is that if I cancel then I get a credit for future trip but if they cancel I get my money back. It is clear that I will not gain entry to Thailand in October from the US.

Been hoping Qatar will cancel but today I got an email outlining travel restrictions on who can travel to Thailand and I do not fit in any category (Thai National, Diplomat, etc).

So I guess they do not plan to cancel this flight.

I could wait longer to see if they cancel because not enough passengers, etc or cancel myself and get the credit.

I would prefer my money back just in case Qatar isn’t my best choice when all opens up again.

Any advice appreciated.

17 minutes ago, Whooah said:

My understanding is that if I cancel then I get a credit for future trip but if they cancel I get my money back. It is clear that I will not gain entry to Thailand in October from the US.

Been hoping Qatar will cancel but today I got an email outlining travel restrictions on who can travel to Thailand and I do not fit in any category (Thai National, Diplomat, etc).

I could wait longer to see if they cancel because not enough passengers, etc or cancel myself and get the credit.

I would prefer my money back just in case Qatar isn’t my best choice when all opens up again.

Any advice appreciated.

I also have two flights scheduled with qatar this year via LAX..

If they cancel, its full refund. (Still a big possibility they will cancel) only China has been approved for SVT, and only repirariton flights are coming in.

U can also hold your ticket for 2 years, or exchange for future travel plus 10%

45 minutes ago, Whooah said:

Any advice appreciated.

Since you prefer to get your money back and have some time to wait, why not wait as long as possible.

Sup guys. The general feeling of 2020 malaise, combined with 2 missed trips (SJO and BKK) have kept me from venturing on to this forum in recent weeks. Sorry for not keeping up!  But I'm back with a points PSA.

Amex Gold card holders (possibly others) be on the lookout for a Pay Over Time promotion. To the uninitiated: the top tier Amex cards are charge cards. They have credit cards as well, but they're known for the charge cards. In the last, I don't know how many years, they've added a "Pay Over Time" feature to the charge cards. It allows you to take select purchases over $100 and carry them like a credit card. What's the difference anymore?...kind of. 

Anyway, I got an offer of 10k MR's for just activating Pay Over Time on my Gold card. No other hitch as far as I can tell, so no spend and hold required. Seems like free MR's so far. Have it activated already on my Plat, so I'm wondering if I could have had it on both. Still not sure why I even have my plat anymore now that I can't make use of international Centurion lounges, but that's a whole 'nother rant. My promo came in paper mail. Don't throw away Amex paper spam, just in case. 

Bonus round: Lookout for 5X Amazon perk (requires activation) until the end of Nov 2020 (they obviously cut off Xmas). 

Bonus-Bonus round: Not new, but Grubhub 2x perk stacks on 4x gold, so I'm getting 5 points per dollar on Grubhub until the new year.  Gold card absolutely destroys plat on points. 

On 26/09/2020 at 14:05, Luv2Phuket said:

COVID has REALLY fucked with my travel plans!  I transferred points for 75,000 EVA miles before the shit hit the fan, now I'm worried about expiration.

I FINALLY took the time to look up my EVA miles. Transfer was in February 2020, so they do not expire until February 28, 2023......God help me if i cannot find a trip to use them on before then! 5555

I was a little worried about my return flight in February and wanted additional options, so I moved the miles to give me additional choices.

I'm 95% sure that EVA miles have a shelf life" - you cannot keep them alive by activity, and they expire 36 months after being earned. It SUCKS ASS that I'm losing an ENTIRE YEAR of the 3-year period, but it is what it is.

Some good news for those who -- like me -- are chasing American Advantage status each year:

https://viewfromthewing.com/american-aadvantage-makes-2021-elite-status-easier-to-earn-introducing-new-elite-choice-benefits/

Basically, they are:
 - allowing you to "double dip" on any flights through the end of 2020 (they will count for 2020 if you are chasing a bump AND will rollover to 2021);
 - reducing requirements for the various status levels for 2021 (which I consider 2022, since that's when you would have it); and
 - eliminating EQD requirements up to Platinum Pro if you hit $30k annual spend on an AA credit card

This could really help me out, assuming travel for me comes back in ANY way, shape or form by next summer. I am pushing my paid Qatar RT flight from LAX-BKK back, so those could be some very valuable EQMs.

I also will look at putting some more recurring charges on my AA credit cards to hit that $30k spend (which works out to $2,500/month - not too hard to hit)

40 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Some good news for those who -- like me -- are chasing American Advantage status each year:

https://viewfromthewing.com/american-aadvantage-makes-2021-elite-status-easier-to-earn-introducing-new-elite-choice-benefits/

Basically, they are:
 - allowing you to "double dip" on any flights through the end of 2020 (they will count for 2020 if you are chasing a bump AND will rollover to 2021);
 - reducing requirements for the various status levels for 2021 (which I consider 2022, since that's when you would have it); and
 - eliminating EQD requirements up to Platinum Pro if you hit $30k annual spend on an AA credit card

This could really help me out, assuming travel for me comes back in ANY way, shape or form by next summer. I am pushing my paid Qatar RT flight from LAX-BKK back, so those could be some very valuable EQMs.

I also will look at putting some more recurring charges on my AA credit cards to hit that $30k spend (which works out to $2,500/month - not too hard to hit)

This is huge for me since I'm usually an AA Exec Plat until this year when they required 15K in spend.

I have a trip to Brazil next week in PE that nets me 1.5x flight miles and those two QR flights that I may use one in dec and one next year.   Those will net at $9200 EQDs and about 80K EQMs.  So my Exac Plat for 2022 seems to be pretty strong.  

Plus love the fact that since I'm a current Plat Pro. I'll get a free upgrade cert 

Im happy 

The added perk has me thinking I may shoot for Platinum Pro next year.

I've been Platinum for a few years, but never pushed for Platinum Pro because I didn't see much benefit in it. Now that it can score me a SWU, it could have some value (although my friends claim the SWU are pretty useless), especially since the EQDs should not be an issue.

6 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

The added perk has me thinking I may shoot for Platinum Pro next year.

I've been Platinum for a few years, but never pushed for Platinum Pro because I didn't see much benefit in it. Now that it can score me a SWU, it could have some value (although my friends claim the SWU are pretty useless), especially since the EQDs should not be an issue.

I never had any of my SWU to hong kong not go through.  Think I am 8 for 8 on the lax to hkg and vice versa.    But also keep in mind ..who knows if AA will ever bring back lax to Asia.    They are trying to make DFW there main pacifc hub as well.  So might be harder in the future.   Or easier. Depending how business travel picks up 

Edited by HimBadMan

• 2 weeks later...

Today I may have come across my first "not going to pursue it because of COVID and my inability to get back into Thailand" offer....although I DID sign up for it in case I change my mind! 5555

I got an offer on my Chase Hyatt card for a free night (Category 1-4) if I put $4,000 on the card between today and year end.

In the past, I would have another free night waiting for the Grand Hyatt in Bangkok, but -- given my inability to use it in Thailand any time soon -- I used it here in So Cal when they were sandblasting my building.

I'm in an depressing position that I never hope to experience again: too many free room nights that I doubt I can use in Thailand before they expire!

I am currently sitting on:
 - 2 free Marriott nights (up to 35k points). These are holding my reservation for February 2021, but I think that trip, in the words of Paul Simon, is slip sliding away. They were just extended to August 1, but, if I am able to get back, I was looking at a mid-late August trip. Hope still remains, though, as others have mentioned being able to get short extensions, so maybe I can use them in mid-to-late August?
 - 2 Hilton nights which luckily do not expire until June 1, 2022 and August 24, 2022, respectively. These will be used if/when I can get back to Pattaya, as there is no "points cap" on them. Theoretically, Pattaya is a poor value, given that I used one in prior years at the Waldorf in Beverly Hills and might be able to score a swanky hotel in Hawaii with them that would cost double or triple the Pattaya Hilton.....but not seriously looking at Hawaii....YET!
 - I also will have a $250 resort credit next April that can be used at the Pattaya Hilton. With points (5 nights), the certificates mentioned above (2 nights) and this resort credit (1+ night), I'm looking at 9 nights with very little out-of pocket.
 - 2 free IHG nights + a BOGO certificate that can be used at any Intercontinental. Pattaya and Bangkok are the most likely options, although the free night certs are capped at 35,000 points and both of those hotels frequently hit 40,000. The free night certificates expire August 30 and July 31, 2021, so they're going out the window if I can't get a summer trip (or two!) in.

The reason I haven't completely squashed the idea (and, after typing this am starting to come back around on it!) is that I will pick up another Hyatt night certificate in early April 2021, that will run through April 2022. Depending upon how long this certificate would be valid, it could come in handy for a February 2022 trip (although I expect it to only run through Dec. 31, 2021). Even a November 2021 trip seems like a possibility for use in Bangkok (2 nights at the Grand Hyatt would be nice "welcome back!" 555)

$4k spend is a little ugly (especially since I am currently knocking out the same spend for my new Sapphire), but I can always drop a chunk on estimated taxes in mid-late December to get me there.

9 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Today I may have come across my first "not going to pursue it because of COVID and my inability to get back into Thailand" offer....although I DID sign up for it in case I change my mind! 5555

I got an offer on my Chase Hyatt card for a free night (Category 1-4) if I put $4,000 on the card between today and year end.

In the past, I would have another free night waiting for the Grand Hyatt in Bangkok, but -- given my inability to use it in Thailand any time soon -- I used it here in So Cal when they were sandblasting my building.

I'm in an depressing position that I never hope to experience again: too many free room nights that I doubt I can use in Thailand before they expire!

I am currently sitting on:
 - 2 free Marriott nights (up to 35k points). These are holding my reservation for February 2021, but I think that trip, in the words of Paul Simon, is slip sliding away. They were just extended to August 1, but, if I am able to get back, I was looking at a mid-late August trip. Hope still remains, though, as others have mentioned being able to get short extensions, so maybe I can use them in mid-to-late August?
 - 2 Hilton nights which luckily do not expire until June 1, 2022 and August 24, 2022, respectively. These will be used if/when I can get back to Pattaya, as there is no "points cap" on them. Theoretically, Pattaya is a poor value, given that I used one in prior years at the Waldorf in Beverly Hills and might be able to score a swanky hotel in Hawaii with them that would cost double or triple the Pattaya Hilton.....but not seriously looking at Hawaii....YET!
 - I also will have a $250 resort credit next April that can be used at the Pattaya Hilton. With points (5 nights), the certificates mentioned above (2 nights) and this resort credit (1+ night), I'm looking at 9 nights with very little out-of pocket.
 - 2 free IHG nights + a BOGO certificate that can be used at any Intercontinental. Pattaya and Bangkok are the most likely options, although the free night certs are capped at 35,000 points and both of those hotels frequently hit 40,000. The free night certificates expire August 30 and July 31, 2021, so they're going out the window if I can't get a summer trip (or two!) in.

The reason I haven't completely squashed the idea (and, after typing this am starting to come back around on it!) is that I will pick up another Hyatt night certificate in early April 2021, that will run through April 2022. Depending upon how long this certificate would be valid, it could come in handy for a February 2022 trip (although I expect it to only run through Dec. 31, 2021). Even a November 2021 trip seems like a possibility for use in Bangkok (2 nights at the Grand Hyatt would be nice "welcome back!" 555)

$4k spend is a little ugly (especially since I am currently knocking out the same spend for my new Sapphire), but I can always drop a chunk on estimated taxes in mid-late December to get me there.

you may be able to ask for an extension on those free nights.  im sure they can understand the current situation for all sides involved .............

11 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Today I may have come across my first "not going to pursue it because of COVID and my inability to get back into Thailand" offer....

It is depressing and I guess you could say I've already had my 'not going to pursue it moment'. I have some big annual bills every Oct/Nov which make it easy for me to hit most minimum spend requirements. So I have always picked up a new card, some years two, at this time. This year I didn't get any. In fact, I even canceled my IHG Premier Card figuring it wouldn't be worth the $89 annual fee this time around. I made sure to cancel after the free anniversary night hit my IHG account because those don't get clawed back :)

I do have the older IHG Select card with the $49 annual fee that's no longer available to new cardholders and figure that's good enough for now. Right now, I'm sitting on a couple of IHG free night certificates expiring 9/21 and 4/22 and I'll get another one from my Select card in March. If anyone is eligible for the IHG Premier card, they do have a good offer at the moment. 140K sign-up bonus with annual fee waived for the first year. They were recently offering a $50 statement credit on top of all that, but that part seems to be gone now. You can also get the free night certificate without renewing, just wait until the certificate hits your IHG account before canceling the card with Chase. Btw, those IHG free nights are capped at 40K, not 35K. 

COVID has well and truly fucked things up. I would love to take a Thailand trip next July/August, but I'm not optimistic it will be open without requirements I find unacceptable. I'm more than willing to be wrong on that assumption though 555. Just gotta wait and see. In the meantime, I'm starting to research other options.

The pendulum is swinging back and I am now seriously considering the Hyatt offer! 555

Did a little research - although I expect rates to go down, the Grand Hyatt is currently charging around $180 USD for nights in November 2021. Based on $4,000 spend, that's an "effective return" of over 4% (but I would never pay $180 - would use points or book elsewhere).

I also just got an offer on the same card for 5X points for Amazon spend and 3X points for grocery spend. Problem there is Citi is offering 5X TY points at Amazon, and I have a shitload of Vons gift cards that I snagged when I got 20% off at Amazon for using 1 MR or 1 TY point.

The $2,000-$2,500 estimated tax payment that I have due January 15 could easily be paid a few weeks earlier, and that cuts the requirement at least in half....and Vons has $100 Visa GCs for below face value (buy 2 and get $15 credit, so $196.90 for $200 in cards) this week....

If that's not enough, I am buying my car when the lease is up (Nov. 15) and have confirmed with the dealer that I can put the down payment on a credit card to snag more points/miles.

....it's a damn conspiracy, I tell you!  5555

12 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

The pendulum is swinging back and I am now seriously considering the Hyatt offer! 555

Did a little research - although I expect rates to go down, the Grand Hyatt is currently charging around $180 USD for nights in November 2021. Based on $4,000 spend, that's an "effective return" of over 4% (but I would never pay $180 - would use points or book elsewhere).

I also just got an offer on the same card for 5X points for Amazon spend and 3X points for grocery spend. Problem there is Citi is offering 5X TY points at Amazon, and I have a shitload of Vons gift cards that I snagged when I got 20% off at Amazon for using 1 MR or 1 TY point.

The $2,000-$2,500 estimated tax payment that I have due January 15 could easily be paid a few weeks earlier, and that cuts the requirement at least in half....and Vons has $100 Visa GCs for below face value (buy 2 and get $15 credit, so $196.90 for $200 in cards) this week....

If that's not enough, I am buying my car when the lease is up (Nov. 15) and have confirmed with the dealer that I can put the down payment on a credit card to snag more points/miles.

....it's a damn conspiracy, I tell you!  5555

Reminds me a bit of that old joke of a wife returning home with a mountain of shopping bags and telling her husband, "Honey, look how much I saved!"

• 3 weeks later...

KrisFlyer offering 15% bonus on transfers from credit card providers:

https://onemileatatime.com/singapore-krisflyer-transfer-bonus/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=OneMileataTime&utm_content=Singapore KrisFlyer Promo: 15% Credit Card Transfer Bonus

Although the blogger is not interested, I use my points/miles almost exclusively for travel to Thailand....well, I did BEFORE COVID! 555  I like Singapore's service (again, pre-COVID), and, as he notes, you rarely see bonuses for transfers to KrisFlyer.

It's 95k for OW biz class LAX-BKK on SQ, so I'm considering moving 83,000 points from one of my accounts.

It also helps that SQ is a transfer partner for virtually EVERY card. If possible, I may consider spreading it over 2 accounts (43,000 Citi TY and 40,000 MR or UR) to soften the blow a little.

I haven't updated my numbers in 3 months, but, at last check, I had about 95,000 UR (with 80k bonus on the near horizon), just shy of 110,000 MR and a little over 135,000 TY. If I took the full 83,000 hit on a single account, I think it would be Citi TY, because it's my largest balance and SQ is the primary transfer partner I would use for it (although EVA also is there).

Points PSA: Targeted Barclays AA Aviator Silver promotion. 10X points per dollar on all purchases for the first $1,000. each month, Nov, Dec & Jan. Figure that's worth 30k AA miles for $3k purchases over 3 months. Not exactly a sign up bonus, but an interesting perk for existing holders.  Still not sure why I haven't gotten rid of this card, but I might as well get those miles as long as I have it. 

2 hours ago, Little Evil said:

Points PSA: Targeted Barclays AA Aviator Silver promotion. 10X points per dollar on all purchases for the first $1,000. each month, Nov, Dec & Jan. Figure that's worth 30k AA miles for $3k purchases over 3 months. Not exactly a sign up bonus, but an interesting perk for existing holders.  Still not sure why I haven't gotten rid of this card, but I might as well get those miles as long as I have it. 

Another perk - the miles on purchases between May 1 and Dec. 31 count towards Million Miles status. The 10X points should not count, though.

I will put some spend on my Aviator Silver next year. 30K annual spend in 2021 will eliminate the EQD element for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Plus. Also, I'm pretty sure that I still get 5,000 EQMs for $20k in spend, so those would combine to effectively reduce my Platinum requirement to 35,000 EQMs.

I'm hoping I get the damn offer! I have been shut out of the last few....haven't gotten it thus far....

• Like 1