IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

I think Wackyjacky is talking about future trips. You can assign any Star Alliance FF account to a partner airline when booking. For instance, you book and pay for a ANA flight, you can still give them your United FF number to earn United miles.

Unfortunately, there aren't too many options for consolidating accrued miles. The only one that I am aware of is Points.com. You can trade with other people, but typically at a large loss and it comes with fees.

Nice explanation thanks. If you've got enough, you can often use orphaned miles for upgrades, lounge access, and hotels as well. On Flyertalk people trade miles by booking award flights for you and vice versa at the Coupon Connection. You need 100 posts 1st however.

Following up on my post from a few days ago, here's a link that discusses the "bump" in the Chase bonus on its small business credit cards:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime/2013/06/18/chase-ink-boldplus-limited-time-60000-point-sign-up-bonus-frequently-asked-questions/

The offer is only good for a couple more days (through June 22), so I wanted to be sure to pass it along.

I think this link discusses getting a business card for your "hobby" if you don't have an actual "business."

Even though I already have a Chase Ink Bold card for my business, I was able to get an Ink Plus card, as well.  The Bold is a "charge card," the balance has to be paid in full each month, while the Plus card allows you to spread the payments out over time (which I do NOT intend to do).  I did have to place a call to the reconsideration line, but, after a short conversation, it was all good.

The $5000 minimum spend in 3 months is a little high, but I think I'm going to waste some money to get there by using WilliamPaid to pay my rent for a couple of months.  The service charges will be a little over $100 (they charge 2.95% of the total), but it allows me to easily hit my minimum spend without getting more Visa gift cards (I already have a bunch of them!  LOL)

Can this take some time and effort to lock down?  Yes, but not more than an hour of your time including the application and all follow-up calls

Am I going to likely spend $100-125 in WilliamPaid service fees that I wouldn't have otherwise spent?  Yes, but that's mainly because I am completing a minimum spend on an AMEX card. 

That said, my efforts will be rewarded with a free one way business class ticket from LAX to BKK.  Well worth the time and minimal expense in my opinion.

Feel free to PM me or post any questions here about WTF I am prattling on about....

You can load up on those prepaid ATM cards (Vanilla, Bluebird, etc) to meet the spend too.

Edited by wackyjacky

BTW, here is a great blog entry/article re using US Air (for the time being) or United miles to book business class on EVA Air:

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthewing/2013/06/27/business-class-award-seats-to-asia-you-can-almost-always-find/

I am booked in EVA for my return flights in both November and February, as they have a flight that leaves BKK at 5:40 p.m. -- MUCH better than the early morning flights that you can get stuck with!

BTW, here is a great blog entry/article re using US Air (for the time being) or United miles to book business class on EVA Air:

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthewing/2013/06/27/business-class-award-seats-to-asia-you-can-almost-always-find/

I am booked in EVA for my return flights in both November and February, as they have a flight that leaves BKK at 5:40 p.m. -- MUCH better than the early morning flights that you can get stuck with!

I haven't flown them in a while, but may in Sept. They've always been good in Premium Laurel & now are even better if you're on the 777-300.

• 1 month later...

I signed up for MyPoints not too long ago. I think I got 250 points for joining and an additional 750 for making a qualifying purchase from one of their merchants in the first 30 days. I can't remember the fine print, but I think "qualifying" means just about any purchase made through their website. This includes a lot of merchants you probably already use, like Walmart, Home Depot, etc... Probably thousands of sellers.

What I do is look on Amazon for things I'd be buying anyway, find the best price, then go through the MyPoints website and purchase the same product for the same price and reap anywhere from 1 to 9 points per dollar spent.

They also try to get you to take surveys for 50 points or so. I did  a couple, then quickly realized they weren't worth my time. I roughly estimate points are worth about $.03 to me so $1.50 to take a 20 minute survey is a waste.

A few days ago they offered 700 points for purchasing a $50 Bath and Bodyworks gift card. To me that means a discount of about $21 per card so I bought 4 of them. Instead of giving my wife and daughters cash on their bdays, I'll give them these cards and everybody wins. That deal has expired, but they send (spam) email just about daily with other opportunities.

I hope this helps.

I signed up for MyPoints not too long ago. I think I got 250 points for joining and an additional 750 for making a qualifying purchase from one of their merchants in the first 30 days. I can't remember the fine print, but I think "qualifying" means just about any purchase made through their website. This includes a lot of merchants you probably already use, like Walmart, Home Depot, etc... Probably thousands of sellers.

What I do is look on Amazon for things I'd be buying anyway, find the best price, then go through the MyPoints website and purchase the same product for the same price and reap anywhere from 1 to 9 points per dollar spent.

They also try to get you to take surveys for 50 points or so. I did  a couple, then quickly realized they weren't worth my time. I roughly estimate points are worth about $.03 to me so $1.50 to take a 20 minute survey is a waste.

A few days ago they offered 700 points for purchasing a $50 Bath and Bodyworks gift card. To me that means a discount of about $21 per card so I bought 4 of them. Instead of giving my wife and daughters cash on their bdays, I'll give them these cards and everybody wins. That deal has expired, but they send (spam) email just about daily with other opportunities.

I hope this helps.

I prefer E-rewards and E-Miles. I earn about $50/month on E-rewards, good for 1000 miles. I wait until I get $100 miles, then cash in for 2k. I often get $10-20 dollar surveys once a week. Only down side is having to wait a quarter before cashing in again. I have a Mypoints account too, but it isn't as lucrative. I find that using the airline shopping portal allows for greater miles multipliers and double dipping opportunities.

Going back to the original thread, US Air has another targeted 100% bonus offer that is expiring shortly, BUT you need to consider when you are traveling.

US Air is moving over to Oneworld, possibly even before the end of the year.

Based upon this blog entry, it looks like bookings on Star Alliance using US Air miles may start to get tougher for travel after November 1, 2013, but they still look pretty good for the time being:  http://thepointsguy.com/2013/07/update-on-booking-us-airways-star-alliance-awards-post-nov-1-2013/

I accumulate quite a few American Advantage miles (and I'm looking to add more via Citi AA cards once I hit the minimum spend on 2 others cards), so I am somewhat familiar with Oneworld.  The "Asian" options are Cathay Pacific and JAL.  

In my experience, the available award seats on Cathay fill VERY early -- as in as soon as they open up 330 days before the flights.  I have tried calling at that date, and been told there was already nothing available!  I can see why -- Cathay has FREAKIN' INCREDIBLE service!  For my trip this October (arrive on Halloween), I booked it last November (looking forward to it, as I am in first class instead of business on that trip).

I am trying JAL on a trip next February that I booked in mid-June.  Cathay was already booked solid by then.

I am flying EVA on the way back on both trips, but booked using United miles, not US Air.  Pretty sure US Air require RT award bookings, not one way.

I prefer E-rewards and E-Miles. I earn about $50/month on E-rewards, good for 1000 miles. I wait until I get $100 miles, then cash in for 2k. I often get $10-20 dollar surveys once a week. Only down side is having to wait a quarter before cashing in again. I have a Mypoints account too, but it isn't as lucrative. I find that using the airline shopping portal allows for greater miles multipliers and double dipping opportunities.

I'm signed up for e-miles as well. I was just psyched about getting 700 points for a $50 spend! Why is waiting a quarter a downside? Don't you only use your miles once per year?

I'm signed up for e-miles as well. I was just psyched about getting 700 points for a $50 spend! Why is waiting a quarter a downside? Don't you only use your miles once per year?

700 for $50 isn't bad, as long as it is something you actually wanted and didn't buy just for miles. I got 10k recently for switching my electric supplier for 4 months. Will switch back now that I got the miles. No real change in spending for that one. Those are the ones I love.

I travel 2-3 times a year on miles. 2 international and 1 domestic. At least the last two years.

Edited to explain a little further. The reason why I mentioned $50 isn't bad for 700 miles as long as you wanted what you bought is because you can buy 2k miles for $35. plus taxes right now with US Airways' targeted promotion. If you would have bought it anyway, then huge plus to get the 700 miles. If you were drawn in to buy something for the 700 miles, then consider when miles go on sale instead.  

Edited by Little Evil

LE, I get what you're saying. I wouldn't have necessarily bought those cards, but I would have spent that money on gifts, so now Bath and Bodyworks gets the money instead of Victoria's Secret!

ok.  new guy here.  no FF experience.  what would be the best way (if possible) to start in on the mileage game.  I am not a huge monthly spender per se, but I think I could use a card (if thats the best route to get easy miles) to pay monthly bills.  that could forseeable net me 6600 a year at least- thats not including just making purchases.  I could easily bump that up a few more thousand if switched around my bill paying system.  I guess what I am asking is what's the best card to look into and if I am not a power shopper/spender is it even possible?   Another novice question...if you don't have the miles for a free ticket can you get discounts with partial points.  I am not adverse to paying but cashing in some points and getting 40% off or something would be sweet.  thanks for the thread and everyones time.

ok.  new guy here.  no FF experience.  what would be the best way (if possible) to start in on the mileage game.  I am not a huge monthly spender per se, but I think I could use a card (if thats the best route to get easy miles) to pay monthly bills.  that could forseeable net me 6600 a year at least- thats not including just making purchases.  I could easily bump that up a few more thousand if switched around my bill paying system.  I guess what I am asking is what's the best card to look into and if I am not a power shopper/spender is it even possible?   Another novice question...if you don't have the miles for a free ticket can you get discounts with partial points.  I am not adverse to paying but cashing in some points and getting 40% off or something would be sweet.  thanks for the thread and everyones time.

I took three coach trips to Thailand since last sept, and one domestic flight, earning about 60K miles with United.  I then applied for the chase united card, and got 50K miles as soon as I spend 2000 bucks on it.  Also got 5000 miles for getting a card for my ex wife... 

today, I got a round trip ticket using all my miles and a little money (I was short 2000 miles so I paid about 160 total), business class on EVA and Thai airlines... will get the chase sapphire card next...  and use these two cards to pay for everything I usually pay cash for... then pay them off every month... should be able to parlay a free luxury rt to Thailand once a year when combined with trips I pay for like this year... get double points for buying flights with the card too...  

figured this all out here, with the help of footy and little evil... 

If/when I get to go, the research i have been doing for my trip points me to flying over on EVA for their economy plus [i'm not a high roller so its about all I can afford and I'm 6' 3" so i need some sort of relief in the leg room department].  What card or airline alliance will aid me in getting flights with EVA?  That sapphire card seems a bit steep.  You need to be spending 1000s per month.  I am nowhere near that type of monthly I/O.  Any knowledge if you can trade miles for discounts or upgrading yourself once you buy a ticket.  I don't  care if its not 100% a free ticket.  I just need a bump for the leg room during the pacific leg of the trip.

you only need to spend the chunk of money one time on these credit card deals to get the lump of points...

and you just use the card instead of the cash you would be spending, then pay off the card...

for me, flying from the USA, United has always been the cheapest option, and their economy plus does help...

I could have used my points to get free coach tickets and done two round trips, but I want to lay down for once. and like Pattaya, I am pretty sure once I try it, I am not gonna want to fly any other way.

cloakxxx

Do you live in the US? Is your credit score good? Those two factors are huge from what I understand. The first thing to do is start reading some blogs like http://thepointsguy.com/top-deals/ and http://frequentflyeruniversity.squarespace.com/ among many others. Find a credit card that awards you a shitload of points just for signing up (and spending a certain amount in the first 3 months), then figure out ways to pay for things you were going to buy anyway with your credit card, through one of the shopping portals that multiplies your points. The card I used to get started was Chase Sapphire Preferred and I think I had to spend $5000 in the first 3 months. There are a lot of ins and outs to playing the game and the best way to learn is dive into those message boards where guys are more obsessed with airline miles than sluts. And yes, you can use miles to pay a portion of a ticket, but keep your eye on the prize! Use your miles to get the whole enchilada. Good luck!

Edited by duke main

I almost always steer people to Chase Sapphire Preferred, but, in your situation -- looking for travel from USA to LOS & worried about being able to hit the minimum spend -- you might want to start with a United Mileage Plus card.  Current bonus is 30,000 miles IF you spend $1,000 (total) within the first 3 months of card issuance, PLUS you get another 5,000 miles if you add an authorized user within those first 3 months and that "individual" uses the card.

Here's a link:  http://www4.chasecreditcards.com/MPYourein30kAFW.aspx?CELL=H8X&AFFID=ptQacSvo7Sk-RLw1U8vQscIh_5wovbqbwg&pvid=F514517048&jp_cmp=cc/289065/aff/3-10001993/na

$1,000 minimum spend is very easy to hit -- charge EVERYTHING (cell phone, cable TV, insurance, etc.) and pay it off at the end of the first month.  You can always buy a Visa gift card, which forces you to pay Chase upfront, but allows you to charge items over a longer period of time.

As for the additional card, I do not think that they require the individual's SSN, so just have one issued in the name of your Mother, Father, brother, etc., and have it sent to your address.  Use it to swipe at a gas pump to tank up your car (where there is no chance they will ask for i.d.!) and you've got 5,000 additional miles.

So you've paid your typical bills (or maybe bought a Visa gift card if your bills are low), got some gas and you've got 36,000+ United miles (don't forget the miles you get on the $1,000 spend!).  

Add a Sapphire Preferred card after you're more comfortable hitting a minimum spend and the 43,000+ points from it will bring your United account up to nearly 80,000 miles and you're taking that trip in economy for free.

Google some blogs on hitting credit card minimum spend requirements -- I know Million Mile Secrets had a long post about it a while back, others cover it all of the time and I think there are specific threads on FlyerTalk.com that discuss the subject.  You would be surprised how many options are out there.  I had some hefty minimum spend requirements that I wanted to hit quickly, so I have paid my apartment rent with a credit card through WilliamPaid.com the last 2 months.  They hit me with about a $50 service fee each time, but my high rent has helped me easily hit a large minimum spend in a couple of months (netting me 60,000 United miles (special promotion that is dead), 2 free weekend Hilton nights and a buttload of Hilton Honors points that I will probably use in Pattaya next Feb).

Hope that helps!

Thanks fellas.  I just got up and saw the responses.  I'm off to the salt mine right now but when I get back I will thoroughly read this stuff and start yet another new research area.  Damn, its a lot of work to fly half way around the world to fuck a 90 pound 20 year old 9.5. :]

EDIT: On the United card- Are they in bed [no pun intended] with EVA? they seem to be a popular airline with reasonable choices/flights out of the west coast.  I'm in the midwest so i was thinking of flying to the west and then hopping to asia from there.  EVA has the economy+ or whatever they call it and that might be the ticket.  Thanks again for everyone's time and insight.

Edited by cloakxxx

Thanks fellas.  I just got up and saw the responses.  I'm off to the salt mine right now but when I get back I will thoroughly read this stuff and start yet another new research area.  Damn, its a lot of work to fly half way around the world to fuck a 90 pound 20 year old 9.5. :]

EDIT: On the United card- Are they in bed [no pun intended] with EVA? they seem to be a popular airline with reasonable choices/flights out of the west coast.  I'm in the midwest so i was thinking of flying to the west and then hopping to asia from there.  EVA has the economy+ or whatever they call it and that might be the ticket.  Thanks again for everyone's time and insight.

yes, I am using my united points to fly business class to Bkk, 3 of the 4 long legs are with EVA, one is with Thai airlines.

spent 120,000 points...  could have spent 64,000 and flown coach.

On the United/EVA question, do you mean "can you use United miles to book travel on EVA?" OR "do you earn United miles for buying a ticket and flying EVA?'

Daddee has answered the first (yes)

As to the second, I think economy plus ticket earns miles at 100%, but it may depend upon the fare code.  Here's what United's website has on the subject:  https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/marketing/custcomm/promotions/Pages/AirlinePartnerDetails.aspx?ItemId=71

Edited by footypjman

I'm not sure if I should start another thread about those discount business websites (or if there is already one, too lazy to use search function like 99 percent of BM's :)  ).

I guess they're called wholesalers or consolidators.

I've gotten two quotes and both were similar, offering business class to Bangkok from L.A. for around 3200 dollars. Not cheap, but still cheaper than many. These are airlines like Cathay Pacific, Thai Airways, etc.

I think the only bad part is these tickets don't count towards frequent flyer mile programs (for the most part).

I'm tempted to try this as everything else is so much more expensive.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Nice looking menu. Wonder if they have full meal service for the TPE to BKK leg.  Never flown that route, and it appears to be only 4 hours or so. If they do meal service for that leg, I'll get to try 4 of these. I'm leaning towards the lamb chop and pork medallion wrapped in bacon.

Hope you'll give us a detailed review of the seat, food, service, etc. (as well as nice some photos of Thai girls!  555555555)

will do my very best!!!  I have a few pics from past trips, but not a big pic taker...  will try harder this trip!