IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

Thanks.  Yeah, the Sapphire points are 1-2.  My Freedom card are not.  In fact I think I might as well cash them in for - cash.  52000 miles = $520.  

But I'll wait.  I WILL be using the Sapphire card exclusively from now on though.

Check on this with Chase before you cash them out -- I am pretty sure that Freedom points can be transferred/consolidated with Ultimate Reward points if (and ONLY if) you have a Sapphire Preferred or Ink business card.

Honestly, with your spending, you should really think about getting a Chase Ink business card in about a month.  Use your SSN and say you are a sole proprietor, and need to keep some business expenses separate.  You'll be able to "double dip" on the Chase Ultimate Reward bonus, and will get ANOTHER 50,000 points.  Plus, the business card gives you 5 points per dollar spent at office supply stores -- that really adds up, as I use it to buy Visa gift cards at Staples, then use the gift cards to buy groceries, etc. (so I'm effectively getting 5 points per dollar spent on groceries).

I currently have a Sapphire Preferred (personal), an Ink business card for an organization for which I am a Treasurer and an Ink business card for my own business (I am self-employed).  Minimum spend netted me something like 150,000 Ultimate Reward points on those.

BTW, another perk of the Sapphire Preferred is the 7% year-end bonus on all points accumulated, including bonus points.  That tacks another 2,800 miles onto the 40,000 bonus points.  I think I got around 5,000 points on that last year.

Last point -

Once you start getting hooked on credit card bonus miles (as I now am!), you will need to pay attention to "reconsideration" calls.  I've lost count of how many times I was initially denied a card, but ended up getting it by calling and shifting over credit from an existing account (so do NOT close your Freedom account, as that available credit can effectively be "traded" for a card that will net you some more miles!)

Here's a blog entry from 2 years ago with phone numbers and suggestions on how to do it -- http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/08/15/credit-card-reconsideration/

Congrats with the Sapphire Preferred.  Definitely look into pooling your Ultimate Reward points.  I wouldn't cash them in for cash.  Not a great point/$ ratio.  1:1 with airlines is your best use.  You are close to 60k points, which are 60k miles.  That's half a USA-BKK itinerary already, so consider your point value at half a RT business class ticket.

Regarding EVA - I'm not familiar with their website and was looking at "Evergreen Deluxe Class/Elite Class".  Now that I'm looking at it again, I realize that they group business and first in one category, so the former must be some type of economy plus.  That would explain why I thought it was so cheap.  These names are getting out of hand.  That's as confusing as United's "Business First".  

Yeah, EVA is confusing.  I am very familiar with their service though.

From LAX-TPE they do not have Premium Laurel.  This is business class in their older planes.  Or maybe from Europe I don't know.  From LAX they fly newer 777s with the Royal Laurel Class.  This is essentially First Class with lie flat seats in a 1-2-1 configuration.  While the food may not match Singapore Air levels the seating is excellent and their schedule perfect for me.  And it is cheaper than most 1st class seats.

Elite/Evergreen Deluxe is essentially premium economy.  A slightly larger seat with a bit more leg room and recline.  It is NOT business class.

I like EVA in their biz class from LAX because it is the lie flats and I leave at 1 AM (so I can sleep) and arrive in TPE with just enough time for a shower in their lounge and morning coffee.  Then off to BKK arriving around 11 AM.  It is perfect.

I am most likely going to take their highest class of service again.  It's only money and a one way one time won't break me.  From then on RTs BKK-LAX-BKK at that level for $3800.  

And I am STILL waiting for my passport.  They got it on the 7th and it is now the 23rd.  It seems impossible to reach anyone on the phone and their email address bounces back as undeliverable.  Frustrating doesn't begin to cover it.

Just got an email from US Airways.  They are running the (up to) 100% miles match again on purchased miles.  If someone has an very open itinerary and wants to eventually travel from USA to Beijing, South Korea or Japan, they could buy 50K miles and get 50K miles as a bonus.  That would be $1,881.25 after taxes and fees for 100k miles.  Good enough for a round trip business class voucher for the above mentioned places.  You'd only need an additional 20k for USA-BKK round trip in business.

The caveats being: A) It is possible that you might not find suitable itineraries, B) US Airways' eventual shift over to One World award system, meaning losing those specific award rates, and C) one could also just sign up for two 50k point credit cards.  Still though, business class for $1,881.25 is a steal and worth the gamble in my opinion.

Just got an email from US Airways.  They are running the (up to) 100% miles match again on purchased miles.  If someone has an very open itinerary and wants to eventually travel from USA to Beijing, South Korea or Japan, they could buy 50K miles and get 50K miles as a bonus.  That would be $1,881.25 after taxes and fees for 100k miles.  Good enough for a round trip business class voucher for the above mentioned places.  You'd only need an additional 20k for USA-BKK round trip in business.

The caveats being: A) It is possible that you might not find suitable itineraries, B) US Airways' eventual shift over to One World award system, meaning losing those specific award rates, and C) one could also just sign up for two 50k point credit cards.  Still though, business class for $1,881.25 is a steal and worth the gamble in my opinion.

Got the same email -- I am pretty sure the 100% bonus ends May 31

Thanks.  Yeah, the Sapphire points are 1-2.  My Freedom card are not.  In fact I think I might as well cash them in for - cash.  52000 miles = $520.  

But I'll wait.  I WILL be using the Sapphire card exclusively from now on though.

Don't cash them in for cash, fatjack. If you read the link Little Evil provided, you will see that you are luck. Both Freedom and Sapphire Preferred give Ultimate Rewards points. Now the points from your Freedom card can't be used for 1:1 miles transfers. But once you get your Sapphire Preferred card, you can transfer the points from  your Freedom card account to the Sapphire Preferred account. Then you can do the 1:1 miles transfer from there.

During the past year, I've got the Sapphire Preferred (40K sign-up bonus) and Mileage Plus Explorer (50K sign-up bonus). I'm going to try for one of the Ink cards with the 50K sign-up bonus towards the end of the year. Have to wait because I typically wouldn't spend enough to meet the requirement. But I always have additional expenses in the last quarter, so it shouldn't be a problem then.

I'm learning to be creative in cashing in my miles. This last trip, I got a business class with Delta Skymiles at their low level of 120K miles. I couldn't get a low level award flight from my city (east coast) to a gateway even though I could get the other 5 segments (takes me 3 flights each way to get to/from BKK) at the low level. If I wanted to include that first little domestic leg in my reward, the ticket would have required many more miles which I didn't have at the time.

So, I bought a one-way coach ticket from my city to DTW for $200. Then it was business class DTW-ICN-BKK. Coming home, I had business BKK-ICN-ATL then first class domestic back home. Not a bad deal I thought.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone here...  I just used the "reconsideration line" on my United / Chase card application (that I got the rejection letter on today in the mail), and they gave it to me with a 3000 line to start, woohoo!

I should be able to generate enough points to get a free round trip to BKK from Reno in business class...  

Looking at Sept or October for my next trip...

I apologise in advance but this all sounds like a load of crap to me, when I am offered bonus point/user award points or any fancy title for something for nothing, someone is making money out of it. If you are wealthy enough to fly any class above economy it can be done other than all these customer reward schemes, of course they do not use the word schemes as it is to close to the word scams. Use the system to buy the ticket at its lowest value. if you did that rather than get involved in these "schemes" and used your effort to make your ticket sale "real value for money" you actually would cut out all these middle tier "scheme" organisers and be more astute price wise. 

I apologise in advance but this all sounds like a load of crap to me, when I am offered bonus point/user award points or any fancy title for something for nothing, someone is making money out of it. If you are wealthy enough to fly any class above economy it can be done other than all these customer reward schemes, of course they do not use the word schemes as it is to close to the word scams. Use the system to buy the ticket at its lowest value. if you did that rather than get involved in these "schemes" and used your effort to make your ticket sale "real value for money" you actually would cut out all these middle tier "scheme" organisers and be more astute price wise. 

Calling it a "load of crap" is kind of harsh when it sounds like you don't understand how it works.  You're kind of missing the main point.  With all these frequent flyer programs, you get awarded for A) signing up for credit cards, B) miles for purchases you are going to make anyway, and C) miles for external programs such as surveys and shopping portals.

So, the main point is that you can earn miles without spending money that you wouldn't already be spending.  If you have a credit card and use it, why not get miles when you use it?  Lots of us have received free travel from these programs.  No gimmick other than those credit card companies wanting more people to use their cards so they are charge the stores/service their usage fees.  No cost to you if you pay up every month.  Surveys are a time commitment, which is why you get miles, but no obligation on your part and no money spent.  Shopping portals are just another advertisement.  Instead of blowing cash on mass market commercials, some ad revenue goes towards awarding people miles as enticements to buy stuff.  Again, you aren't spending money unless you actually want to buy something.  Then, why not get miles from it?

Bottom line is that there is little out of pocket expense (if any in some scenarios) for us if you work the programs right.  If I do spend money, It's money you'd be spending anyway (like getting miles for my utility service).  Is someone making money?  Of course, but not from our pocket.  Money is made between the airline, credit card, surveys, and store partnerships.  I could just go out and buy the cheapest fares I can find,  but I could also just live my life how I always have and earn miles in the process, then get a free airline ticket.  I prefer the latter.  

Agree with LE 110% -- call it a "scheme," a "scam" or a load of crap all you want -- the simple fact is that I have about 350,000 air miles sitting in my United, American and US Air accounts that can be used for travel to Thailand that is essentially free (I had to pay taxes of less than $20 and a $25 booking fee).  And that 350k is AFTER booking my trip this fall (first class going; biz class coming back) AND another in February 2014 (again, first class going; biz class coming back)

For what it's worth, I have flown a grand total of about 2,500 miles in the past year or so that earned miles, so my "war chest" was built almost exclusively from credit card bonuses, as well as surveys, etc.

An example: I have a US Air card -- got 40,000 miles when I made my first charge, then hardly used it.  I got an email in March that said if I put $750/month on the card in April, May and June, I would get another 15,000 bonus miles.  So I used that card for car repairs, my cell phone and some other bills.  Piece of cake. 

My next move is either a Holiday Inn card (a couple of free nights for minimal spending and Platinum status for upgrades), maybe an AA business credit card that I just cancelled or possibly a Hilton card that gets me a couple of free nights and Gold status (free wifi, breakfast) as long as I keep it.

Some key concepts:

1. You have to pay attention to the minimum spend requirements, and you may have to buy Visa gift cards to meet them (which accelerates the spending, as you pay up front for the "credit" on those cards).  For example, if a card requires $5,000 minimum spend in the 1st 3 months and you only spend $4,500, you will get a bonus of ZERO miles/points.  For that reason, I am careful to avoid overlapping minimum spend periods.

2. I pay my balance in full every month -- if you let interest charges start piling up, then the interest charges will quickly outweigh the miles.

3. I think the credit card bonuses are almost exclusively offered by U.S credit cards and to limited to U.S. residents.  This may be why BMs from other countries don't quite accept what we're talking about.

4. Most Americans get the miles and use them for 50,000 mile last minute trips to visit family, hotels, etc.  A very small % have passports and use them for the perk of flying to Asia, Europe, etc., in style.  I could transfer my Chase points over and get 5 free nights at the Pattaya Holiday Inn (saving myself around $600) OR use those same points to book a business class seat that costs about $6000 RT.  Sadly, many American don't think of flying 20+ hours for a dream trip and end up using their points on the hotel room.  A good friend has a boatload of American miles (mostly from flights, but some from credit cards I turned him on to) -- he used a bunch of miles to fly his kids to Hawaii.  Hawaii is nice, but those tickets combined likely would have cost less than my first/biz class trips to Thailand.

5. You have to plan in advance -- most airlines limit award seats per flight.  On Cathay, for example, you better be trying to get it 11 months in advance or it will be booked solid.  I just checked for February (8 months off), and there was nothing available on any day close to when I was looking (but JAL had 1 seat left in first class and EVA had Premium Laurel coming back, so 127,500 miles later and I am booked in comfort all the way around).  If you make a change -- like I recently did -- you get hit with a $150 charge to put the miles back into your account (again, the $150 was worth it to me to change from an 8 a.m. flight out of BKK to a 5:45 p.m. flight the same day).

There are countless blogs that focus on nothing but building frequent flier miles and the vacations/flights that they can get you -- I try to read about 4 or 5 of them every chance I get, and I'm not even scratching the surface.   Plus, FlyerTalk is to frequent fliers what PA is to BMs in Pattaya -- more info than you could ask for (albeit it's not the "friendliest" board going)

Finally, you'd be shocked how few people in the U.S. have any idea about credit card mileage bonuses and how they can add up.  I am constantly telling friends how to do it and helping them bank miles for future trips.  

I'm done preaching about getting in on the miles game. I haven't paid for a long haul flight in 6 or 7 years and I'm in 1st more often then not. Maybe this is a bit off topic, but it's in line w/the thread's title. I posted this a few weeks back and apparently it's still out there. You'll have to play around w/the dates: $2K for Business on Finn Air:  Amsterdam (AMS) to Bangkok (BKK) - Thu, Jul 25
Amsterdam (AMS) to Helsinki (HEL) - Thu, Jul 25
Finnair Oyj 842 Dep: 11:55AM Arr: 3:15PM 2h 20m Airbus A320 Business (I)
Layover in HEL 1h 55m

Helsinki (HEL) to Bangkok (BKK) - Thu, Jul 25
Finnair Oyj 89 Dep: 5:10PM Arr: 7:15AM 10h 5m Airbus A330 Business (I)
Fri, Jul 26

Bangkok (BKK) to Amsterdam (AMS) - Fri, Aug 2
Bangkok (BKK) to Helsinki (HEL) - Fri, Aug 2
Finnair Oyj 90 Dep: 9:00AM Arr: 3:25PM 10h 25m Airbus A330 Business (I)
Layover in HEL 0h 50m

Helsinki (HEL) to Amsterdam (AMS) - Fri, Aug 2
Finnair Oyj 845 Dep: 4:15PM Arr: 5:45PM 2h 30m Airbus A319 Business (I)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $1,999.80
Total cost for 1 passenger $1,999.80

You are all correct that responded to my post . I don't understand the complexities. I search online several times for the cheapest price then book it from the cheapest provider who is independent. I pay using my debit card that now has the same safeguards as any credit card and I am paying with money without juggling, I have spent far too much on this forum and you guys have spent too much time manipulating this "free" money or miles for nothing 5555. Look at why you are being placated for over priced fares instead of beating your chest about "freebies".   

this is a good topic, I fly korean air I have 68,000 miles and they telling me that i need 87,000 to get a eco ticket? I really dont understand how to use the  miles and add then to able to buy a bidness class seat.

mickeylo

You are all correct that responded to my post . I don't understand the complexities. I search online several times for the cheapest price then book it from the cheapest provider who is independent. I pay using my debit card that now has the same safeguards as any credit card and I am paying with money without juggling, I have spent far too much on this forum and you guys have spent too much time manipulating this "free" money or miles for nothing 5555. Look at why you are being placated for over priced fares instead of beating your chest about "freebies".

I'm not sure I understand your point or why you could even get agitated over this. I'm particularly puzzled by that last sentence. I read it a few times.....I got nothing. It is a bit of homework to earn miles, but it isn't very hard to do once you dip you get your feet wet. Hell, you could even earn Alaska Air miles using their BoA debit card, which in your case wouldn't change one aspect of your life outside of earning free miles. In any case, I'm just trying to be helpful and show people how to fly business class or better without changing their existing budgets. If that is disagreeable somehow, I guess I'll keep my mouth shut and keep all the tricks of the trade to myself.

the owners of my company fly regularly all over the world on points they earn by using credit cards that have mileage programs attached to them... I carry a company card that they get the miles on every time I use it...

I just got my own, and have 60,000 miles already banked from three trips with united...  this card will give me 50,000 points if I spend 2 thousand on the card in the next two or three months...

with 120,000 points, I can get a free round trip to bangkok, business class...  or I can buy a coach ticket for around a grand and use points to upgrade to business class...

either way, I will  flying business class on my next trip.  for a lot less than if I just paid cash.

many many people use these cards, there are websites full of tips and info on how to take full advantage of them...

you're a funny guy...  ranting on about something you know nothing about.  

instead of using your debit card, you could be earning points with the right credit card... and with every trip you take that you pay for you also get points...  my last three round trips on united earned me almost 60,000 points... 

but you don't seen to want to understand how it works, but prefer to just pay and not take advantage of the mileage points...

me, I am flying business class next trip, and at the most paying  for a coach seat.  I am earning the points needed to accomplish this  by spending the money I would spend anyway...  just using the united credit card instead of debit card or cash...  

this is a good topic, I fly korean air I have 68,000 miles and they telling me that i need 87,000 to get a eco ticket? I really dont understand how to use the  miles and add then to able to buy a bidness class seat.

http://millionmilesecrets.com

this is where I learned I can call Chase if they decline me when I apply for a card... they just did decline me.  I called, spoke with a Chase rep, and got a United Mileage Visa with a 3K limit.

very interesting game, this mileage thing...

I would check the blog linked by daddee or just read this:  http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/2013/06/13/top-5-rewards-cards-from-each-bank-chase/ (which summarizes top 5 credit cards currently offered by Chase)

Chase Sapphire personal cards (and Ink business cards) earn "Ultimate Reward" points that can be exchanged 1 to 1 for Korean Air miles. 

The current offer is 40,000 Ultimate Reward points after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months.  That's 40,000 Korean miles (actually, 43,000, counting the $$$ you spend), so you would be at over 110,000 Korean miles in no time and on your way to your second award.

Snoop around the blogs for info on getting a business credit card even if you do NOT have a small business (I'm lucky - I have a business and am Treasurer for an organization, so I have used both of them to get multiple business cards)

this is a good thread. i dont have any miles cards yet but i want to fly business class. time to do some homework!

In any case, I'm just trying to be helpful and show people how to fly business class or better without changing their existing budgets. 

LE: Extremely interesting and useful information. Please continue to share. Thanks. :)

http://millionmilesecrets.com

this is where I learned I can call Chase if they decline me when I apply for a card... they just did decline me.  I called, spoke with a Chase rep, and got a United Mileage Visa with a 3K limit.

Strong work. I expect to be following your example. :) 

I play the miles game too, I have the Chase saphire prefered and got the miles bonus, you also get triple bonus if you buy your ticket through their site (if you buy a ticket), for example if you bought your ticket from the USA to BKK for 2000 you would get 6000 points and then the miles for flying.

I have a question, before I figured out this miles game I used several different cards for example when I flew Sing Air I used my Krisflyer card, United..my united card etc, is there a way to get the miles from my ANA, Sing Air, JAL, etc into my United program??

I play the miles game too, I have the Chase saphire prefered and got the miles bonus, you also get triple bonus if you buy your ticket through their site (if you buy a ticket), for example if you bought your ticket from the USA to BKK for 2000 you would get 6000 points and then the miles for flying.

I have a question, before I figured out this miles game I used several different cards for example when I flew Sing Air I used my Krisflyer card, United..my united card etc, is there a way to get the miles from my ANA, Sing Air, JAL, etc into my United program??

Easy, pay with your UA card and/or designate that you want the miles in that UA acct. You can make sure they get it right when you check in. JAL is out since they're not Star Alliance, but One World

Easy, pay with your UA card and/or designate that you want the miles in that UA acct. You can make sure they get it right when you check in. JAL is out since they're not Star Alliance, but One World

sorry i dont get it, i want to consolidate all my star alliance partner miles onto my united is this possible? I have not been able to figure this out.

sorry i dont get it, i want to consolidate all my star alliance partner miles onto my united is this possible? I have not been able to figure this out.

I think Wackyjacky is talking about future trips. You can assign any Star Alliance FF account to a partner airline when booking. For instance, you book and pay for a ANA flight, you can still give them your United FF number to earn United miles.

Unfortunately, there aren't too many options for consolidating accrued miles. The only one that I am aware of is Points.com. You can trade with other people, but typically at a large loss and it comes with fees.

I think Wackyjacky is talking about future trips. You can assign any Star Alliance FF account to a partner airline when booking. For instance, you book and pay for a ANA flight, you can still give them your United FF number to earn United miles.

Unfortunately, there aren't too many options for consolidating accrued miles. The only one that I am aware of is Points.com. You can trade with other people, but typically at a large loss and it comes with fees.

That's my understanding, as well -- Points.com is generally a terrible deal, but may be useful for some "orphaned" miles that you want to move.

Quick follow-up to my earlier post -

It was just announced that, for a very limited time (i.e., the next 5 or 6 days), Chase has bumped the bonus on its Ink Bold and Ink Plus business credit cards up to 60,000 points after $5,000 minimum spend in 3 months.  I'm not in a great position to handle that minimum spend (since I'm completing one for AMEX), but feel that I have to jump on this deal while I can for the extra 10,000 points.

Basically, spend $5,000 on stuff you would ordinarily buy for the next 3 months (and maybe some gift cards to spread the spending out over time), and you get a free one way business class ticket to Thailand on Thai, ANA, EVA or any other Star Alliance carrier through United.