IGNORED

favored cd learning?

i have seen more posts about pimsleuers, as opposed to rosetta stone being used to learn thai by pc.

from what i understand they use differing teaching methods..

SOOO, question being, for someone just starting out, what would be easier to start with?my understanding is rosetta is a good starter, with pictures and ...whatever, and pimsleuers is more of a repeat what the hell i say over and over...

maybe it depends on the person and his ability to learn and how he best learns. but there has to be some kind of recommendation?

thanks

animalsdancingpanda6eb.gif

"You went full retard...."

Sgt Lincoln Osiris

i have seen more posts about pimsleuers, as opposed to rosetta stone being used to learn thai by pc.

from what i understand they use differing teaching methods..

SOOO, question being, for someone just starting out, what would be easier to start with?my understanding is rosetta is a good starter, with pictures and ...whatever, and pimsleuers is more of a repeat what the hell i say over and over...

maybe it depends on the person and his ability to learn and how he best learns. but there has to be some kind of recommendation?

thanks

I have done a few different Thai courses but most of them in the late 80s. The best one IMO is the original book/tape version of the Linguaphone Course. Linguaphone currently do a CD based course but it is not the same as the cassette version. If you are lucky you might be able to buy a second hand copy at a bargain price. This course will take you from not speaking a word to be able to converse at a pretty good level. It will even teach you to read and write Thai Script if you want to learn. Of course you will have to use a walkman or whatever that uses cassettes or rip the tapes onto a PC and make your own CDs of the course material.

Edited by panyaa

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I've only learnt from Pimsleur and found it to be very good in teaching.

I have done a few different Thai courses but most of them in the late 80s. The best one IMO is the original book/tape version of the Linguaphone Course. Linguaphone currently do a CD based course but it is not the same as the cassette version. If you are lucky you might be able to buy a second hand copy at a bargain price. This course will take you from not speaking a word to be able to converse at a pretty good level. It will even teach you to read and write Thai Script if you want to learn. Of course you will have to use a walkman or whatever that uses cassettes or rip the tapes onto a PC and make your own CDs of the course material.

"In the real world" (read:- not Patts) I spend a lot of time in the car as part of my job. I went to South America a few years back and before I went learnt enough Spanish to get me into trouble off Linguaphone CD's in the car.

So you recommend the Thai course? (for my next vist). I just get a bit sick of the usual "What you name" Where you from" etc... prattle form the girls & would like to be able to communicate a little better

"In the real world" (read:- not Patts) I spend a lot of time in the car as part of my job. I went to South America a few years back and before I went learnt enough Spanish to get me into trouble off Linguaphone CD's in the car.

So you recommend the Thai course? (for my next vist). I just get a bit sick of the usual "What you name" Where you from" etc... prattle form the girls & would like to be able to communicate a little better

Yes I do recommend this course. Everyone is different so it could be that another would suit you better. Any course would be better than none. Once your Thai reaches a certain level there is no looking back. I think that you will find that any sustained effort at learning Thai will be well rewarded. Good luck.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I have both Pimsleuers and Rosetta Stone. Rosetta Stone doesn't give you english translation, it makes you learn by associating pictures with Thai characters and

speach.

Pimleuers is purely audio and gives you Thai speech, followed by the English translation.

I like Pimsleuers better simply because it is teaching me words and phrases that I will be more apt to use, it's conversational context.

I think the Rosetta Stone method is better for learning, but I could give a fuck how to say airplane, ball, elephant etc.

Ive had Berlitz, Lingaphone and Rosetta Stone... i have spent hours at work listening to Lingaphone and berlitz and it doesnt really work for me. Rosetta Stone is quite good but some thing on it your learning something but it doesnt tell you what it is ...eg old lady with white hair , you dont know if they are teaching you about hair color, what shes wearing etc... THE BEST WAY IS TO GET A THAI TO TEACH YOU!! They can help you learn the pronounciation and i guarentee you will remember more and quicker and it will stay in your brain!!! They often teach you the long vertion of the words the tapes and thai has lots of slang so youcan look like an idiot !! (the slang is easer to say as well)!!

Guess everone is different. MX

Had a browse on the iTunes music store podcast directory today, there are one or two FREE podcasts about learning thai. I'm downloading them as I type, will report back if any good.