IGNORED

Thai way of raising children?

Makes perfect sense to me! She was giving him the breathing space to make

his own decisions but made the correction when required. I bet he learnt.

I know a ferang kid sits in his room on the computer all day. Online game, 

social networking. Started uni for 2 months and has now dropped out due

to anxiety and depression issues. What else would you expect?

I don't think western society has it right 

Funny how one report from a guy that witnessed a child getting a beating on a bus immediately turns the whole of Thailand into a nation of childbeaters.

We all go to Thailand, how many times we saw kids getting beaten by their parents? (beaten being similar as described in the OP)

For those who are familiar with a Thai family, is it common they hit their kids in that family? (again, we are not talking about an educational tick on the bump)

For those with Thai wives, does your wife hits your kids?

As frustrating as it may seem, it is best to observe without intervention. Like mentioned before, you are in Thailand and need to realise different culture etc.....

A farang stepping into a domestic matter? Forgetaboutit.

Funny how one report from a guy that witnessed a child getting a beating on a bus immediately turns the whole of Thailand into a nation of childbeaters.

We all go to Thailand, how many times we saw kids getting beaten by their parents? (beaten being similar as described in the OP)

For those who are familiar with a Thai family, is it common they hit their kids in that family? (again, we are not talking about an educational tick on the bump)

For those with Thai wives, does your wife hits your kids?

No,she doesn't.And in my experience,I have never seen a Thai hit their kids.

No,she doesn't.And in my experience,I have never seen a Thai hit their kids.

Thx for that! Sometimes, while reading all these negative comments about Thai people written on this site, i wonder if it is the same country  that we are talking about.

To the OP, don't get me wrong, you witnessed what you saw and i don't doubt that, but it is not common practice to beat your kids like that in Thailand. It's like with childlabour or kid beggars, they exist and it might be more common then in the West, but  the big majority of Thai parents don't beat the shit out of their kids, nor send them begging in the streets.

Thx for that! Sometimes, while reading all these negative comments about Thai people written on this site, i wonder if it is the same country that we are talking about.

To the OP, don't get me wrong, you witnessed what you saw and i don't doubt that, but it is not common practice to beat your kids like that in Thailand. It's like with childlabour or kid beggars, they exist and it might be more common then in the West, but the big majority of Thai parents don't beat the shit out of their kids, nor send them begging in the streets.

To add to that,I believe it is quite the opposite.Thais tend to spoil their children as they think when they reach the age of 16,their lives will be difficult as they then have to work.

Now when I say spoil,obviously it is difficult to give them everything they would like to as they are poor,but they certainly shower them with enough affection.

The girls that work in bars with children will send everything they can home,as to give their kid a better start.

This has been my experience,may not be others.

To add to that,I believe it is quite the opposite.Thais tend to spoil their children as they think when they reach the age of 16,their lives will be difficult as they then have to work.

Now when I say spoil,obviously it is difficult to give them everything they would like to as they are poor,but they certainly shower them with enough affection.

The girls that work in bars with children will send everything they can home,as to give their kid a better start.

This has been my experience,may not be others.

see my post number 20.

When my daughter was still a child i sometimes got angry at the family because they followed her and her nephews to feed them while they were playing. I mean, we are thaught to sit at the table while eating with knife and fork while they were chasing a few 4-6 year olds to put food into their mouth :-)

U don't see Thais hitting there child because to hit there child in front of others is to lose face...... They want others to think there child is the greatest thing . They will punish be hide closed doors.... Only when the child doesn't listen at all and is super disrespectful do u see the patent lose it in front of others....

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

Some Thai schools hit there students . ( mostly it's the principal that does this ) some it's in front of the whole entire school so they all be sacred not to do it. And parents are ok with it .

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

see my post number 20.

When my daughter was still a child i sometimes got angry at the family because they followed her and her nephews to feed them while they were playing. I mean, we are thaught to sit at the table while eating with knife and fork while they were chasing a few 4-6 year olds to put food into their mouth :-)

My missus still does this.Follows him around and pops sticky ricks in his mouth.lol.It doesn't worry me too much.I hated sitting at the table when I was young.

My missus still does this.Follows him around and pops sticky ricks in his mouth.lol.It doesn't worry me too much.I hated sitting at the table when I was young.

yeah, with sticky rice wouldn't worry about it too.....

Mine liked to eat tjock ( ricesoup) with dried pork, it was mess around the house! 55555

yeah, with sticky rice wouldn't worry about it too.....

Mine liked to eat tjock ( ricesoup) with dried pork, it was mess around the house! 55555

Hahaha.Yep

Some Thai schools hit there students . ( mostly it's the principal that does this ) some it's in front of the whole entire school so they all be sacred not to do it. And parents are ok with it .

My neigbour ( in Belgium) got 'early retirement' because he had hit a child as a teacher. He had to go to a doctor to get a sick leave note due to stress on every first day of the schoolyear, that way he got paid by social security and the parents and school were happy he did not teach anymore. We pay lots of tax in Belgium for guys like that!

I've found something about child abuse in Thai schools, i'm sure it happens and i'm sure some parents are ok with it, but i'm also sure that at a lot of schools they don't tolerate it and a lot of parents are not ok with it.

http://thaiteachers.wordpress.com/

Things like this happen around the world, it might happen more in Thailand than in the West, but..... it is not common practice. IMO

..totally agree there mate

Hear ! Hear !....we sooo molly coddle them now.....

My guess is domestic violence happens the world over. I don't hit women and i have never hit my kids. My old man used to beat me when i was a mouthy violent angry teenager. Yet he never laid a hand on my older brother. I asked him why in later life and he just said, you frustrated me so much i lost control.

Parents aren't perfect and neither are you.  We come from a society with greater understanding of social conscience. Trying to replicate your values into another society is as pointless as it is ridiculous.

Maybe the kid was a shit who had been told plenty of times before. His mother gave him a few whacks to sort him out. The fact that he was doing the exact same thing later in the trip shows you he wasn't traumatised by it. 

• 1 month later...

A guy is visiting his neighbor who periodically stops and shoots the cat with a water gun when it went near the curtains. The guy asked, "Why are you shooting your cat with water?"

The neighbor answered, "Well, I want him to stop climbing the curtains and after a week of being wetted when he does near them he'll stop climbing them."

The visitor though for a few seconds and said, "Why not use a pellet gun and stop him in one day?" 

The mother hit her child because she cared about how he would grow up. It's much easier to do nothing and let the child run wild as in some Wester cultures.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

Archived