IGNORED

licence

lekbarb

When i get to jomtien i would like to get a licence so that i,m legal to ride a small motorbike without the fear of getted fined . Can anyone stear me in the right place for this, has anyone completed a test whats involved and cost please, i have a full motorbike licence in the uk.

To be legal you just need an International Driving Permit for about a fiver from the Post Office or from AA.

To get a Thai Driving Licence use Search - lots of topics.

licence.JPG

To be legal you just need an International Driving Permit for about a fiver from the Post Office or from AA.

To get a Thai Driving Licence use Search - lots of topics.

attachicon.giflicence.JPG

Thanks so much for the information i thinki will just do your first sugestion thanks again

Thanks so much for the information i thinki will just do your first sugestion thanks again

The information on exactly how to be legal with an IDP is in Edges thread, International Driving permit (AKA Licence) Definitive, the 4th one down so it might be a good idea to have a go at his 2nd suggestion also :)

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

In America you can only get an IDP endorsed with what is on your National Drivers license.  So if you are not endorsed for motorcycle then you cannot get a motorcycle endorsement on your IDP and you will not be legal...assuming the policeman looks that close at the IDP and I'm sure some do.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable sub-human who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.

Robert Heinlein

In America you can only get an IDP endorsed with what is on your National Drivers license.  So if you are not endorsed for motorcycle then you cannot get a motorcycle endorsement on your IDP and you will not be legal...assuming the policeman looks that close at the IDP and I'm sure some do.

Correct, same in UK, but the OP said he had that endorsement so he'll be covered.

I see a lot of the BiB do not look far beyond the buff cover, but they might.

Riding a bike without the correct licence may become a big issue in the case of an accident, when the paperwork is likely to be examined more closely.

Can you still get "moody licenses" from Khao San?

Went to do my test the other week and they refused my English paper license because it was all tattered and torn. So it's not really fake if I get a new one made up, is it?

When i get to jomtien i would like to get a licence so that i,m legal to ride a small motorbike without the fear of getted fined . Can anyone stear me in the right place for this, has anyone completed a test whats involved and cost please, i have a full motorbike licence in the uk.

Bear in mind that an IDP does not mean you wont get booked... if he needs the tea money then there is no escape, say sorry and pay the fine... best to buy a nice helmet for 500 baht to avoid as many checks too... they can spot a rental ice cream bucket a mile away, its like a beacon for em lol

...Using the force, one bar at a time

I got the falang shakedown on Jomtien Beach rd in March. $500 baht because I left my DL in the room safe.. had a copy of passport & entry stamp. Funny because I knew it was coming and tried to give him the blue note  right there but he said no no come into station (outhouse sized booth) oh well such is Thailand

Bear in mind that an IDP does not mean you wont get booked... if he needs the tea money then there is no escape, say sorry and pay the fine... best to buy a nice helmet for 500 baht to avoid as many checks too... they can spot a rental ice cream bucket a mile away, its like a beacon for em lol

yes i never thought of that i will invest i a good helmet next time rental ones never fit anyway

Bear in mind that an IDP does not mean you wont get booked... if he needs the tea money then there is no escape, say sorry and pay the fine... ......................................................

IME, provided you have the IDP, along with your UK DL (plastic & paper) then that is very unlikely re' the DL issue these days.

I've seen some BiB insist that it's Thai DL or nothing, but not for a few years around Pattaya City.

The option to bribe the BiB in town has all but gone.

IME, provided you have the IDP, along with your UK DL (plastic & paper) then that is very unlikely re' the DL issue these days.

I've seen some BiB insist that it's Thai DL or nothing, but not for a few years around Pattaya City.

The option to bribe the BiB in town has all but gone.

Yeh if he wants you then he will get you... I got done 1000baht last year because I supposedly went thru a red light.  I said no, light was number 4 green, he said no I look I see red, I say no you look you see white, Tao Rai?  ...1000baht.  I had everything perfect, licences and insurance and rego, my new honda and still he just saw tea money... if they want you then they will get you...

Yeh if he wants you then he will get you... I got done 1000baht last year because I supposedly went thru a red light.  I said no, light was number 4 green, he said no I look I see red, I say no you look you see white, Tao Rai?  ...1000baht.  I had everything perfect, licences and insurance and rego, my new honda and still he just saw tea money... if they want you then they will get you...

OK, so not the IDP issue we're talking about, but when you use the old quip "tea money", are you saying that there was no ticket issued for your red light 'offence' and no visit to Soi 9 to pay your fine?

OK, so not the IDP issue we're talking about, but when you use the old quip "tea money", are you saying that there was no ticket issued for your red light 'offence' and no visit to Soi 9 to pay your fine?

yup!

IDP = International Drivers Permit doesnt it?  I have one and it has always sufficed... hence the red light!  he checked everything else and then when he found I was 100% ok he said red light... pay it or take my keys...

yup!

IDP = International Drivers Permit doesnt it?  I have one and it has always sufficed... hence the red light!  he checked everything else and then when he found I was 100% ok he said red light... pay it or take my keys...

So tea money here or go cop shop to pay proper fine. There is a list of the traffic fines in the police station, I think the highest is about 250 baht! Most are around the 100 - 150 mark. It's just a pain making your way down there and back.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

So tea money here or go cop shop to pay proper fine. There is a list of the traffic fines in the police station, I think the highest is about 250 baht! Most are around the 100 - 150 mark. It's just a pain making your way down there and back.

So are you saying its a lot cheaper to go to the police station and pay a fine rather than paying at the roadside ,, when i got a roadside fine i was,nt given the option 500bt there and then, also where is then police station pattaya or jomtien.

I have been booked for girl on back no helmet and went to police station... 300baht..also booked no licence on me, it was in the room, police station again, 400 baht.  I think the 250 baht fines you speak of are for Thai nationals, not farangs... I have never heard of a fine for a farang being below 300 baht and I have been paying the bibs for 14 years... maybe I am wrong, but just my experience...

I normally try to pay on roadside if i can, but not always an option and of late in Patts, it seems to be getting harder and harder to not go to police station...

So are you saying its a lot cheaper to go to the police station and pay a fine rather than paying at the roadside ,, when i got a roadside fine i was,nt given the option 500bt there and then, also where is then police station pattaya or jomtien.

It was for me. I think I paid 150 baht for driving wrong way down Soi 3. The problem is the cop kept the bike and keys and I had to get a wait n return bike taxi which probably added 150 baht to the cost.

I have been booked for girl on back no helmet and went to police station... 300baht..also booked no licence on me, it was in the room, police station again, 400 baht. I think the 250 baht fines you speak of are for Thai nationals, not farangs... I have never heard of a fine for a farang being below 300 baht and I have been paying the bibs for 14 years... maybe I am wrong, but just my experience...

I normally try to pay on roadside if i can, but not always an option and of late in Patts, it seems to be getting harder and harder to not go to police station...

Last trip I was stopped by an official police checkpoint on sukumvit ( on the way to the Ban Chang scooter run). They had a little office there and I queued up and had to pay 100 baht for not having a licence on me! I don't think they operate a dual pricing policy for farang, maybe you just got unlucky with the officer booking you and he took libertys?

I'd always opt to go to the station myself. Out of principle even if it was more expensive.

RULES

1NQq.gif

It was for me. I think I paid 150 baht for driving wrong way down Soi 3. The problem is the cop kept the bike and keys and I had to get a wait n return bike taxi which probably added 150 baht to the cost.

Last trip I was stopped by an official police checkpoint on sukumvit ( on the way to the ban Chang scooter run). They had a little office there and I queued up and had to pay 100 baht for not having a licence on me! I don't think they operate a dual pricing policy for farang, maybe you just got unlucky with the officer booking you and he took libertys?

I'd always opt to go to the station myself. Out of principle even if it was more expensive.

Hmm maybe just got unlucky but the pricing was not dictated by the roadside in these cases, but by the cashier at Banglamung Police Headquaters...

On the other, according to Mrs Darkside, they do run a dual pricing structure for farangs.  Not sure whether this is based on rumour but again in my experience... also I am not a retired older man, rather a young looking early 40s so of course, if there was a dual pricing for local/ retired and tourist, then they would definitely put me in the tourist as my license is also an Aussie IDP...

Getting a license is fairly straight forward process

1. get photocopies of your passport, visa and arrival stamps and head to immigration office in Jomtien to get your residence certificate. takes about a day. you need a local address of the condo or hotel. fee is about 200 approx.

2. Get a medical test done stating you are fit to drive. about 100THB.

3. head to transport office located sonewhere in Banglamung. rent a bike as you would need one for the driving test.

you will have to clear a color blindness test and a Computer test, guides are availabe in english, do go through them. the fee was about 200THB in 2010.

Note. I advise you get the license for car as well. Best of Luck. !!!

Getting a license is fairly straight forward process

1. get photocopies of your passport, visa and arrival stamps and head to immigration office in Jomtien to get your residence certificate. takes about a day. you need a local address of the condo or hotel. fee is about 200 approx.

2. Get a medical test done stating you are fit to drive. about 100THB.

3. head to transport office located sonewhere in Banglamung. rent a bike as you would need one for the driving test.

you will have to clear a color blindness test and a Computer test, guides are availabe in english, do go through them. the fee was about 200THB in 2010.

Note. I advise you get the license for car as well. Best of Luck. !!!

I would like to know what Visa are you talking about ? is that a 30 days Visa you get at the airport or a different one,  my situation will be this I will be in the very near future arriving on my 28/28 leave, I do plan on getting a condo for a year, I have been told that because I will be in Thailand for less than 30 days each time I can just arrive the same way as I do straight off the plane and stamped passport for 30 days as I did last year for a holiday, will I be able to get a Thai DL just on these facts... Cheers if anyone can enlighten me :)

I would like to know what Visa are you talking about ? is that a 30 days Visa you get at the airport or a different one,  my situation will be this I will be in the very near future arriving on my 28/28 leave, I do plan on getting a condo for a year, I have been told that because I will be in Thailand for less than 30 days each time I can just arrive the same way as I do straight off the plane and stamped passport for 30 days as I did last year for a holiday, will I be able to get a Thai DL just on these facts... Cheers if anyone can enlighten me :)

It isn't clear cut it seems - there are always variations being reported.

I believe you cannot apply without a Visa - 30 day Visa Exemption is not a Visa - you need at least a Tourist Visa.

I don't think you can get a Residence Certificate on Visa Exemption - you can on a 60 day Tourist Visa I'm told.

Having obtained your one year Temporary DL, I believe you need an 'O' Visa to extend it to 5 years.

OK, someone shoot me down.  :GoldenSmile1:

I believe you cannot apply without a Visa - 30 day Visa Exemption is not a Visa - you need at least a Tourist Visa.

I don't think you can get a Residence Certificate on Visa Exemption - you can on a 60 day Tourist Visa I'm told.

Having obtained your one year Temporary DL, I believe you need an 'O' Visa to extend it to 5 years.

OK, someone shoot me down.  :GoldenSmile1:

I am not taking aim at you but certainly at Pattaya DLC (near Regents) I have managed to get my Thai licences on visa waivers and also my Residence certificate to apply. I have read in other forums who have done same so it is not because of my charm...... :GoldenSmile1:  I would agree that you cannot rely on this as an absolute as a different Thai on the day can have a different interpretation. 

A condo rental contract should be enough for the residence cert especially when you tell them it is for a DL application.

I am on my second 1 year (Temporary) licences and will need to renew in the next couple of months so hopefully nothing has changed for the worse!

Unfortunately you are dead right about the extension to a 5 year.

I would like to know what Visa are you talking about ? is that a 30 days Visa you get at the airport or a different one, my situation will be this I will be in the very near future arriving on my 28/28 leave, I do plan on getting a condo for a year, I have been told that because I will be in Thailand for less than 30 days each time I can just arrive the same way as I do straight off the plane and stamped passport for 30 days as I did last year for a holiday, will I be able to get a Thai DL just on these facts... Cheers if anyone can enlighten me :)

OK, someone shoot me down. :GoldenSmile1:

well back in 2010 Nov. I got the license on 14 days visa on arrival. so 30 day visa stamp should do I guess.

I just gave them an address of my friends condo, no contract was submitted. just gave them my friends visiting card. the medical test was a joke. the Doctor was more interested in supplying generic ED. tabs :)

Thanks for the info guys, I think when I finally arrive and get an address, I'l just give it a whirl and see what happens.

Cheers :ThumbUp6:

Archived