IGNORED

budda day?

does anyone know why in the heck they close all the bars and clubs and stop selling alcohol randomly.. it seems as though this happens just outta the blue,,, sometimes even the girls dont realize it and or dont mention it till that day... i was in pattaya this month and on 12/14 and 12/15 everything was shut down.. a real downer... whats the deal? does anyone know the holidays or whatever they are. i sure would like to know ahead of time,, so i can arrange to have something planned those days.

I believe the said dates that you stated were not a Buddha day, they were Thailand's general election, were they want or encourage everyone to stay sober so they can make a correct vote ?

"Pizzled Wig"

I believe the said dates that you stated were not a Buddha day, they were Thailand's general election, were they want or encourage everyone to stay sober so they can make a correct vote ?

"Pizzled Wig"

ummmm the election is this coming weekend and the bars will be shut again............

the dates the OP refers to was to allow the people of thailand to go home to their respective provinces to register to vote for the election.

I think i am going to get a box of beer for this week end, in all the years i have lived here i have never seen the town close like that before :wacko:

I think i am going to get a box of beer for this week end, in all the years i have lived here i have never seen the town close like that before :wacko:

the beers were flowing, just look a bit harder........ remember no bar fines either hehehehehehehe

yea it was really not a problem to find somethng to do,,,,, heck the soapies were open,,,,but the nights end early there if the discos are closed.. and you don't have a girl already... so does anyone know when they close everything down throughout the year? i sure want to plan this ahead of time before i got out there again on holiday.

• 1 month later...
does anyone know why in the heck they close all the bars and clubs and stop selling alcohol randomly.. it seems as though this happens just outta the blue,,, sometimes even the girls dont realize it and or dont mention it till that day... i was in pattaya this month and on 12/14 and 12/15 everything was shut down.. a real downer... whats the deal? does anyone know the holidays or whatever they are. i sure would like to know ahead of time,, so i can arrange to have something planned those days.

Thai Festivals and Holidays

Calendar for Thailand

* All dates with a * are public and / or bank holidays.

* Thai festivals and holidays are either on a fix date or the date changes every year. In this case we added the year.

* If a public holiday occurs on a weekend, there will be a substitution day the following Monday. This way some weekends are longer and very likely to be travel time for Thai people.

* 1 January (fix) New Year's Day

In Thailand there are three New Year's days. The Western, on Jan 1st, the Chinese New Year on the first day of the First Lunar month, usually in February and the Thai New Year marked by the Songkhran festival in April. Thais usually exchange gifts on January 1st.

7 February 2008 Chinese New Year's Day

Chinese New year depends on the lunar calendar. It is on the second new moon day following Winter solstice, a day around December 22 in the nothern hemisphere. Chinese celebrate their lunar new year with one week house-cleaning, lion dances and fireworks. This is also the time to pay respect to the ancestors. We invite our volunteers to take part in the celebrations for our family.

* 21 Februar 2008 Makha Bucha Day / Magha Puja Day

This is in commemoration of a spontaneous gathering of 1,250 Sangha followers came to meet Lord Buddha 9 months after his first enlightenment. They were ordinated by Lord Buddha and enlightened. Celebrated with candle light processions three times clockwise around the temple, usually in the evening. It is also a day when many people give alms like instant or canned foods and necessities like robes, incense and candles to the monks. The date changes from year to year. It is always on full moon day of the 3rd lunar month, Makha.

* 6 April (fix) Chakri Memorial Day

Crowning day of King Rama I., March 20, 1737 - September 7, 1809, the first king of the Chakri dynasty. He moved the capital from Thonburi to Bangkok, retrieved Buddhist texts that were lost during the occupation of former capital Ayathaya by the Burmese, and wrote the Book of three seals, a new law codex.

* 7 April substitution for Chakri Memorial Day

13 April (fix) Therevadin Buddhist New Year

* 13 - 16 April (fix) Songkran Festival

Thais celebrate the lunar new year with a lot of water. Buddha statues are cleaned, you sprinkle water over the hands of monks and elders to show your respect - and everybody is having a lot of fun with tossing water around. If you attend don't expect to stay dry. See some photos of the festival

* 1 May (fix) National Labour Day

* 5 May (fix) Coronation Day

King Bhumibol Adulyadej was crowned on 5 May 1950.

Phi Ta Khon Festival

Men masqueraded as spirits parade a Buddha image and tease bystanders while monks recite the ancient Buddhist tale of Prince Vessandorn, one of Buddha's incarnations. His welcome back procession was grand enough to inspire the spirits to join the festvities.

Celebrated in Loei.

* 9 May 2008 Royal Ploughing Ceremony Day

* 19 May 2008 Visakha Bucha Day / Visakha Puja / Buddha Day

Also spelled Vesak, Wesak or Vaisakha and it is the name of this month in the Indian calendar. Celebration of Lord Buddhas birthday, enlightenment and death (attainment of Nirvana).

* 17 July 2008 Asarnha Bucha Day / Asalha Puja Day

Celebration to remind of the first sermon Lord Buddha gave to five disciples, introducing the middle way, the noble eight-fold path and the four noble truth. Celebrated with candle light processions.

* 18 July 2008 Buddhist Lent Day

This marks the beginning of the Buddhist rain retreat which last three months. During this period monks are not allowed to sleep outside their temple. If they have to stay outside it should be limited to maximum of three days. Thai people buy big candles and offer them to temples.

29 July 2007 Candle Festival

* 12 August (fix) H.M. The Queen's Birthday

This day also doubles as Mothers Day.

14 October Ok Phansa & Thot Kathin

The End of Buddhist Lent - This day is the end of the Buddhist Lent that lasts three month every year (see also 22 July). Buddhists will make merit and offer food and other necessary goods to the monks. Time for the robe offering ceremonies ("thot kathin"). These ceremonies are performed during one month.

Many activities originated on this day and have been passed on to the present generation such as the wax castle offering and illuminated boat procession to worship the Naga king.

14 October 2008 Naga Festival

Bang Fai Phaya Naga is said to be a natural phenomenon. Fireballs can be seen rising up from the Maekhong River on the night at the end of the Buddhist Lent. Many people come to Nongkhai every year, hotels are booked out a long time in advance, and traffic that evening is like Bangkok at rush hour. There is also a friendship boat race between Thailand and Laos during this time.

* 23 October (fix) Chulalongkorn Memorial Day

King Chulalongkorn or Rama V. is memorated for the modernisation of Thailand and thanks to his politics Thailand did not become a colony.

12 November 2008 Full moon night of the 12th lunar months Loy Kratong

Not an official holiday, but a festival you should not miss when in Thailand. People float little containers with a candle, joss sticks and a coin to thank the river goddess and get rid of their past years sins.

* 5 December (fix) H.M. The King's Birthday

Also doubles as Thai Fathers Day.

* 10 December (fix) Constitution day

1932 the absolute monarchy became constitutional and the first step towards democracy was gone in Thailand.

* 31 December (fix) New Year's Eve

People like to travel around these holidays. Transportation might be difficult if not arranged in advance.

Substitution means that those who can not celebrate the first date for business or other reasons, get the substitution day off. So better take all these dates into account.

Thai Calendar

In 1940, Thailand moved its New Year's Day from April 13th to January 1st. The old New Year is still a holiday called Songkran. Years are counted as the Buddhist era (B.E.) which started 543 years earlier than the Christian era, therefore 2005 A.D. is the year 2548 B.E.

Most Buddhists festival and hlidays follow the lunar calendar so their actual dates according to the Gregorian calendar vary from year to year. They also vary from coutry to country and also on the tradition a country or Buddist group belongs to. Thailands Buddist are in the tradition of Theravada Buddhism.

The Chinese calendar is one of the oldest. The day starts at 11 p.m. and the 24 hours are separated in 12 parts reigned by a zodiac sign. 2006 will be the year of the dog. Most full moon days are dates for Buddhist celebrations. Some of them are official holidays.

THIS is all I could find. Hope it helps with your planning.

:Bravo1::wacko: