IGNORED

56 Chevy PU

Skalliwag

Hi guys.Just wanted to share this with you.You never know how life is going to go,so live everyday.

This truck is a friend of mines.He is 44 and has cancer.He is doing it as a project with his son before he goes.

Is getting pounded with chemo and is not well,but him and his son are working on it everyday together.

It is in my shop and he has specially asked me if I would paint it.

While its sad,it has been a great experience for all of us.Makes you realize that the little things mean fuck all.I have had my boy down in the evenings helping and its put alot of things in prospective.

And yes,the old guy can still lay the colour on pretty good.

Will add more pics as we get through it.

Cheers

Steve

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Great pictures, I'm sure it will look great when its finished, p,ease keep this thread updated.

Touching back story. Puts everything in perspective.

Cheers

Great pics, I hope he has many years of enjoyment with it.

Great pictures, I'm sure it will look great when its finished, p,ease keep this thread updated.

Touching back story. Puts everything in perspective.

Cheers

Cheers.Will do.

Wow, that's gonna look great. Thanks for posting about it.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

I had to google 56 chevy  to see what we are talking about here,  i have seen them before in the old American movies.

Hope you don't mind me adding these pics Skalliwag,  it will be very interesting to see how yours turns out. 

Nice story behind it too.  

All the best

images.jpg

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

images (1).jpg

images (2).jpg

Stevie

Hey Stevie.Thats her.Got the cab back on the frame today.Will add some pics tommorow.

My mate is real sick.So sick in fact he fell over yesterday and blackened his eye.Guys,I don't know if I would be able to do Whats Hes doin.

I think I would give up to be honest.

Hey Stevie.Thats her.Got the cab back on the frame today.Will add some pics tommorow.

My mate is real sick.So sick in fact he fell over yesterday and blackened his eye.Guys,I don't know if I would be able to do Whats Hes doin.

I think I would give up to be honest.

You're friend is a brave man.  Good to see he is getting much enjoyment in his final weeks / months from this project.

Love to see the completed pics.  Thanks for this thread.

Stevie

Saw a lovely looking example driving along Sukhumvit Rd in Pattaya yesterday..

Nice job on the truck. I sure hope your friend makes it. If they are doing the kemo they must expect to have a good chance of positive results.

Nice job on the truck. I sure hope your friend makes it. If they are doing the kemo they must expect to have a good chance of positive results.

Its the big dose this time.If this doesn't work,Shes all over.Hes very upbeat though.Like I said,doubt I would be.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Victoria Day here,so its a public holiday.My mate had a day out of the hospital so we hung some sheet metal.Hes pretty crook,but soldiering on.

Fenders on,doors this week.Been slow going but we are knocking it off.

They took 600ml of fluid off his heart yesterday?

Fuck me.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Saw a lovely looking example driving along Sukhumvit Rd in Pattaya yesterday..

Really?That would be a rare sight there.Cool.

I have a question.What sort of import tax would one pay on something like this for Thailand.I am going to build something in the next couple of years and would love to bring it with me when I retire there.

I have a question.What sort of import tax would one pay on something like this for Thailand.I am going to build something in the next couple of years and would love to bring it with me when I retire there.

I believe there will be many obstacles. Here is a thread about a guy who wanted to import his car from the UK,  many legal issues referred to in the thread.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/101370-importing-my-car-live-report/?hl=mg%2C+car%2C+drive

Good luck.  The Chevy is coming along nicely. Thanks.

Stevie

Box is getting painted today,which is good cause old mate has taken a turn for the worse.Race to get it finished now.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looking Good !

Sorry to hear your mate isn't too  well.

Stevie

Truck is looking good , nice job . Sad story about your friend at only 44 . Hope the guy makes it till it's finished .

Used vehicles can no longer be legally imported and registered in Thailand.

I had a 47 years ago as a work truck.  It was red originally but ended up rust colour.....cos it was rusting away!  When I bought it it wasn't half as good as the one in the pix.  Looked pretty bad when I got rid of it!

CropperCapture34.jpg

"If it feels good, just keep doing it!"

I had a 47 years ago as a work truck.  It was red originally but ended up rust colour.....cos it was rusting away!  When I bought it it wasn't half as good as the one in the pix.  Looked pretty bad when I got rid of it!

attachicon.gifCropperCapture34.jpg

They Didnt change much.Looks great.Love driving the old stuff,for about a day.lol.Then when you hop back into something decent you realize how far along they have come.

Sorry if this has been asked before I am too lazy to read the whole thread.  I love your work.  And it is a great story teaching us something about the important things in life.

My question is a bit more mundane though.  What kind of paint?  Laquer or enamel?  hand rubbed?  You have a paint booth or do you wait for a perfectly calm day or what?

Just curious the technique you are using.  It is looking great.  Wish you were nearer I'd have work for you.   :GoldenSmile1:

Sorry if this has been asked before I am too lazy to read the whole thread. I love your work. And it is a great story teaching us something about the important things in life.

My question is a bit more mundane though. What kind of paint? Laquer or enamel? hand rubbed? You have a paint booth or do you wait for a perfectly calm day or what?

Just curious the technique you are using. It is looking great. Wish you were nearer I'd have work for you. :GoldenSmile1:

Paint is all latex now.California emissions up here.Waterbourne technology is great now.

Booth I bought out of The good old US.Nova Verta.Italian components but US cabin.Great guys too.Very sharp,know their product inside and out.

Base coat gun is Devilbiss stainless and the clear coat gun is Sata RP Digital.Digital gives you a perfect air pressure to the fluid cap,no more guessing.

Its a gun finish.I will de nib it but no need to completely rub it down and polish.Got it nice and flat and pretty clean.Apparently the old fat guy can still lay it on.lol.I was drinking though.Only way to get a real steady hand.

Great news yesterday as the owner had an operation on his heart and looks like it will buy him some time.I guess the one surgeon had given up and another guy came in and basically said "bollocks".

Weird but true.Fucking Doctors.

BTW,at work now and am pounding the pooch hard style.Very last today.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow.  latex.  I worked for a short while with a guy who painted cars and I don't remember if they used that then.  This would be back around 1979.  The cars I think I helped him with were all lacquer with lots of hand rubbing (me).  he also did one with metal flake on a 1967 El Camino that was sweet.

Unless they took the skill part out of it with latex you do have a steady hand.  Nice work.  Can't spot a drip anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Not long to go now.Mate is doing ok.Has to go into hospital every couple of days to get fluid drained off his lungs.He looked great today when he was around.He has a new Doctor and this bloke seems to be better than the last.I don't ask too many questions anymore as we figure his time is best talking about trucks and cars.Emblems tommorow and a silver mettalic pinstripe to break up the two colors.Him and his boy are driving it to a car show next weekend about 4 hours away.The boys are having a weekend away.oh and the name on the tailgate is going orange.Should be fine.

One thing we are arguing about in a fun way is,I think the bumpers should be orange and he wants to keep them chrome.Would look sick if they were orange.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Archived