IGNORED

Another Canterbury Tale

Chris Pattaya

I must admit I've never had a good word to say about The Canterbury Tales. I tried it a few times and thought the food lousy, the service lacklustre, and the place overated but reading so many good reports on this website I decided to give it another go.

I was quite pleasantly surprised.

The food was much, much better than I'd had there before. I had the 95 Baht breakfast and it was, on the whole, clean, well presented and well cooked. The quality of the ingredients was quite high with sausages and bacon from Simple Simons, the bread from the bakery cafe just around the corner and Ayam's baked beans, my absolute favourites!

Well done!

I do have, however, a few comments to make:

1. If you are advertising orange juice then please serve orange juice and not squash.

2. Why do you fill your HP sauce bottles with what can only be described as the soft, brown, dysenteric outpourings of a diseased gut?

So many cafe owners try to cut corners by replacing quality condiments with cheap and nasty substitutes. If it says HP on the bottle then please supply HP and factor the cost into the price of the breakfast; details like this are important and can show the difference between a good place and a cheap place.

3. Portion control: I watched the breakfasts come onto the tables around me and there was little uniformity. I don't think a half piece of black pudding is good enough when I watch other plates with full slices.

It's obvious to me that there has been some real quality control going on at The Canterbury Tales and this has led to great improvements now all that is needed is for the place to raise its game and realise that good enough is never good enough and that the devil really does lay in the details.

As my old school reports used to say: much improved, could do better.

*WARNING. The above statement was prepared in a factory that uses irony. It may contain irony. It cannot be guaranteed as irony free. Readers with an adverse reaction to irony or irony based products should consume a pinch of salt before reading. Readers who have are known irony-deficient should seek professional help before continuing*

'I'd like to congratulate Chris Pattaya on being the smuggest cnut ever shat into God's creation', Unknown Mango Sauce contributer.

I had breakfast there a few nights ago, It hit the fuckin spot. But, agreed, the OJ could use some juice.

Aâ™  If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

Proper fresh orange is very important !! the same as when i go for a bacon butty-it should be in a breadcake not just bread, so right now my vote for a good bacon butty and a glass of pure orange goes to "The Premiership Bar" Soi Diana !! great start to anybody's day !!

what annoys me is when all the cafes/bars serve breakfast on a cold plate by the time you have got half the way through the breakfast the food is cold with the air con /fan running , cheers nadia

what annoys me is when all the cafes/bars serve breakfast on a cold plate by the time you have got half the way through the breakfast the food is cold with the air con /fan running , cheers nadia

Is a cold plate the same as a running buffet ?

Confused Wiggy ?

Had the 95 bhat breakfast...

A few comments...

1. Teach your staff how to cook a fried egg sunny side down without a hard yoke or a broken yoke, please... I specifically asked for this and they said "can do"... and what I received was an overcooked piece of rubber...

2. I liked the black pudding...

3. Orange juice? :D

Proper fresh orange is very important !! the same as when i go for a bacon butty-it should be in a breadcake not just bread, so right now my vote for a good bacon butty and a glass of pure orange goes to "The Premiership Bar" Soi Diana !! great start to anybody's day !!

Cheers for the tip Wiggy, i've stopped eatin the fat bastard breakfasts, cos i already am one.. bacon sarnie & real OJ great pre-soi6 meal 5555

I must admit I've never had a good word to say about The Canterbury Tales. I tried it a few times and thought the food lousy, the service lacklustre, and the place overated but reading so many good reports on this website I decided to give it another go.

I was quite pleasantly surprised.

The food was much, much better than I'd had there before. I had the 95 Baht breakfast and it was, on the whole, clean, well presented and well cooked. The quality of the ingredients was quite high with sausages and bacon from Simple Simons, the bread from the bakery cafe just around the corner and Ayam's baked beans, my absolute favourites!

Well done!

I do have, however, a few comments to make:

1. If you are advertising orange juice then please serve orange juice and not squash.

2. Why do you fill your HP sauce bottles with what can only be described as the soft, brown, dysenteric outpourings of a diseased gut?

So many cafe owners try to cut corners by replacing quality condiments with cheap and nasty substitutes. If it says HP on the bottle then please supply HP and factor the cost into the price of the breakfast; details like this are important and can show the difference between a good place and a cheap place.

3. Portion control: I watched the breakfasts come onto the tables around me and there was little uniformity. I don't think a half piece of black pudding is good enough when I watch other plates with full slices.

It's obvious to me that there has been some real quality control going on at The Canterbury Tales and this has led to great improvements now all that is needed is for the place to raise its game and realise that good enough is never good enough and that the devil really does lay in the details.

As my old school reports used to say: much improved, could do better.

Thanks for the breakfast TR.. been there a few times but usually i'm so hungover i couldn't comment on the quality

Good meeting this week for a beer & wander

It was good to see you too; I'm just sorry I was too hungover to fully contribute to the spirit of the thing!

Been hanging with another board member for the last few days so it's quite a social time, all in all.

Must be the holiday spirit and all that!

Oh, and to be on-topic: I had breakfast at CTC yesterday. Pretty good but all previous comments regarding OJ/HP apply!

*WARNING. The above statement was prepared in a factory that uses irony. It may contain irony. It cannot be guaranteed as irony free. Readers with an adverse reaction to irony or irony based products should consume a pinch of salt before reading. Readers who have are known irony-deficient should seek professional help before continuing*

'I'd like to congratulate Chris Pattaya on being the smuggest cnut ever shat into God's creation', Unknown Mango Sauce contributer.

Points taken re the orange juice etc but come on guys for 75 & 95 baht.

I think I have mentioned before, I am even keeping our prices the same for nearly 2 years now although the cost of the food has gone up so hey would you prefer a price increase and not the choice as you have now of the breakfasts as they are or with a fresh squeezed orange juice at extra cost.

Eggs can be tricky when we are as busy as we are, so I will mention it and I do keep my eye on such things so most of the time they are well done, or done well, I apologise yours were not so.

PS, I wet in one breakfast venue the other day which is mentioned often on here for a good breaky, which I did as we were full up so I took that opportunity to do so and try out a competitor.

Well nearly double the price of ours, not as good although I say it myself but its no good lying to oneself, anyway I was the only one in there, maybe that says enough, we brits are all for a cheap meal although good value so thats why we do over 100 breakies a day and some days well over

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Went to Canterbury Tales this afternoon and ordered the B95 breakfast from the board outside. As it took some time for the food to arrive, I thought great, freshly cooked to order and not stewed for ages waiting for the next customer to arrive. About 15-20 minutes after ordering the food arrives missing the fried potato but with some fried bread. I said to the waitress "not have fried potato", after a quick visit to the kitchen she returns to say "sorry, fried potato finish". There was mention of this when I ordered the meal, no discount offered and no alternative offered. Unfortunately I don't like fried bread. The fried eggs were hard, the sausages and black pudding overcooked and dry. I asked for the boss or manager but this had the waitress completely stumped. I'm sorry to say that my experience at Canterbury Tales was disappointing.