IGNORED

Drunk Falls Asleep on Baht Bus, Wakes Up 40 Years later

Pattaya One

Eagle-eyed regular readers might just happen to have noticed I've recently written a novel, Back, which, in part, relates to the Vietnam War.

One of the joys of doing the website for Back has been the many hours, days and, probably by now, weeks, I have spent researching photographs from the Vietnam War, not just the usual photos, but previously 'unseen' ones, like the above, which would have little interest to anyone other than people who live in Pattaya.

This photo research has taken me onto the regimental websites of many units that served in Vietnam, looking at photos taken by ordinary grunts, as well as the well-known commercial photographers (Horst Fass is emerging as my favourite so far).

But I enjoy looking at photographs of  daily life on bases and out on patrols, and I'll be featuring a lot of these outstanding photos taken by servicemen over the next few months.

There are a few I've seen (dancers and even in one case, strippers) which will also make a great article at some stage.

I saw the above photo of the guy zonked out on the floor of a baht bus in Pattaya on one military website. Unfortunately I can't recall which one now, but it's a great reminder that behaviour in Pattaya hasn't really changed much in 40-odd years.

And nor has the size of the baht buses.

© Peter Alan Lloyd

Amazon: Back Parts 1 and 2

Smashwords: Back Parts 1 and 2

Twitter: @PeterAlanLloyd

InPattayaNow?d=yIl2AUoC8zA InPattayaNow?d=qj6IDK7rITs
58XuK5C7DXo

View the full article

Archived