IGNORED

Best beach in Ko Samet

Robert 999

Going on a one day trip to Ko Samet. Will travel from Pattaya and then take the ferry at Rayong. Can anyone recommend:

1. The best beach to go to on Ko Samet?

2. On arrival at Ko Samet, how to get to the recommended beach. Walk or bus. How much to pay?

Thank u in advance.

Hat Sai Kaew (Diamond Beach) One of the most beautiful and most popular beaches on Ko Samet, Hat Sai Kaew is 1 km long and 25-30 m wide. Most of this space is taken up with deck chairs from the restaurants. The name speaks for itself, Hat Sai Kaew, which literally means Crystal Sand Beach, is a nice beach filled with activities. Visitors can enjoy sunbathing, swimming, jet skiing, windsurfing (700 baht/hr), catamaran sailing (1000 baht/hr) a banana boat or even partying at night. It can get a bit noisy due to all the motorised activity though.

http://www.samed.info/travel.htm

I haven`t been yet but plan to go with my tg for a day or two

head further south if you want peace and quiet and then you can always travel to the busier areas...you can get on trucks or rent a motorcycle...be wary of mosquitos at night - hut type places have gaps in walls and mozzies come in. pay around $1000 fro somewhere ok or $2500 gets you a fantastic room

This version of me will not stay the same, tomorrow I will be different.

Stayed on Ao Cho Beach last September in the Ao Cho Grandview Hideaway Resort, very nice beach smaller then most of the others on the island but a lot quieter no rows of deck chairs everywhere, possibly too quiet as everything shut by 9pm. 5 minute walk to Ao Wong Duan Beach larger beach but a lot more people about nice restaurants and some entertainment on a night.  I had good company with me and really enjoyed Ao Cho, looking at going back in November to the same place.  But only if I have decent company its not somewhere I would go by myself and hope to meet someone

Think I have a couple of pics if I can find them will put them up over weekend

You can walk to any of the beaches from the ferry but I wouldn't recommend it we walked from diamond beach back to Ao Cho took 45mins and some very rocky ground in places.  Roads are not very good though more like craters then pot holes on the road this was what made us walk back.  A lot of the area near the road is just used as a garbage dump for the locals so its not even a pleasant view on the drive.  Sorry cant remember costs.  We did the speedboat to the beach we were staying on think it was about 2000-2500 but cant be sure.

Stay at Sai Kaew and go to other beaches in the day then Sai Kaew for bars/food etc at night. Get a truck to the other beaches, you could do 1 or 2 a day, they're all along the same track down the island and each has it's merits. Generally imo the further you go down the track the nicer and quieter the beaches are. There's also a good sunset point along the way between beaches you can stop at on the way back. Ao Prao on the other side of the island is good for sunsets too. Sai Kaew is invaded by the Russian speedboat day trippers by day and about as relaxing as chilling out on a building site.

Found a few pictures, never had great sunshine any day I was there so a little dark.  First picture Hat Sai Kaew, nice white sand reasonably clean but busy compared to the rest of the island, jet skis, power boats etc. and lots of people swimming:

2012-09-26 06.43.18.jpg

Beech between Hat Sai Kaew and Ao Cho, very quiet and run down,

2012-09-27 06.18.16.jpg

Ao Cho,  sand not as white as Hat Sai Kaew and beech not as wide but quiet, slowly sloping descent into the sea and near the sides plenty of fish to see

2012-09-25 09.19.48.jpg

2012-09-25 09.20.46.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Was there for a few days in March. We stayed at the next beach south from the busy Hat Sai Kaew beach on Vongdeuan Beach. It meant we could go direct by speedboat for 400 baht in 10mins and didn't have to pay the National Park entry fee.

A taxi only takes 5 mins to Hat Sai Kaew in evening to Ploy Bar - one of the 2 or 3 main clubs at the weekend. Best to target Fri or Sat night for a late night as sleepy place other nights.Weekend is when the Bkk middle classes turn up.

Island trips and walks are other things to do in day. 

Archived