IGNORED

Transfer flights

Solens

Hi,

I have never flown with a transfer at another airport, only used to fly on dicrect flights. My questions are:

1)do you need to check in at each airport or only on the first one and you recieve the boarding pass at the first check in? If not, does it mean that all I need to do is head to the departure gate?

2)do you need to check in you baggage twice or only at the first airport? I just need a confirmation , as far as I know you need to check it in once and they will send it to the final destination.

Thanks for your answers in advance. I'm flying in two months but already so excited and I guess nervous that I want to have everything planned ahead :P

H....

2)do you need to check in you baggage twice or only at the first airport? I just need a confirmation , as far as I know you need to check it in once and they will send it to the final destination.

If your flying with the same airline or one of its partners they will transfer it straight over.

Posted Image

When you check in at the first airport they will probably tell you, if not ask. I flew with emirates, change at dubai and my luggage was checked all the way through.

In general, if the trip was booked as one ticket, then you should get boarding passes for both flights when you depart, and your bags will be checked through to the final destination. The exception for bags is that you must clear them through customs upon entry to a country, before continuing with an in-country flight. Thus, if you were traveling to Phuket, you might first fly to Bangkok where you would pickup your luggage, clear it through customs and then re-check the luggage onward to Phuket. On the other hand, if your final destination was BKK airport, but you started in London and transferred in Mumbai (for example), your bags would be checked in London and arrive in BKK, and you would not have to fool with them in Mumbai, as you're really not "entering" India, just passing through. Whatever airport you clear customs at, this is where you'll see your baggage, even if you have ongoing flight(s) and luggage to check.

You don't even thought have to travel on one ticket for bags to be checked all the way to your destination, you just have to ensure that all the flights are with 'regular' airlines, that is non low cost airlines (Ryanair, Air Asia etc).  These are generally 'point to point' carriers and you have to re-check in after each flight/

Everyone pretty much explained everything.

Just to give another example, I book a ticket to BKK with a transfer at Hong Kong. I go to airport in New York, check in my luggage, they give me my boarding pass for my flight to Hong Kong and another boarding pass for BKK from Hong Kong and my baggage ticket when I arrive at BKK. I go through security with my carry-on to the airplane, I arrive to Hong Kong and have to go through security again and then when I get to BKK, I clear Immigration and pick up my luggage. 

The thing that surprised me the first trip was the transfer security check mentioned by tysonrocky. At your transfer airport to get from your arrival gate to departure gate you will have to pass through a typical airport security check even though you never left the secure area. No big deal usually but may take a few (or more) minutes. Also if you have water they will take it just like any security check. So I empty any water bottle I might have and fill it up after security.

Solens if you tell us your three airports and airline we can probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know. Although I personally have only transfered at Taipei and Incheon (EVA/Korean/Asiana).

yeah same thing happened to me too... after my first security checkpoint, bought an overpriced waterbottle... then on my transfer flight had to throw it away.... ridiculous. 

You will not have to recheck your baggage generally but in regards to clearing immigration etc it depends on the airline. 

For example with flyscoot.com you need to clear immigration and line up etc in Singapore. 

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Archived