Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Great Sport Films

sinbad5

Hey all,

I'm sat here watching "Looking For Eric" the fictional movie about a football fan obsessed with Eric Cantona (which Eric also appears in), which is a film I really like.

I also really enjoyed "The Damned United" about Brian Clough.

Any recommendations or favourite sporting movies?

Phar Lap... The great Australian Racehorse in the 1930.

Phar Lap... The great Australian Racehorse in the 1930.

Aye, I've read that the name Phar Lap derives from the Thai word for lightning. Tom Burlinson was in that one. Ashamed to say I've never seen it.

I remember every Melbourne Cup day they used to bring out Tommy Woodcock, Phar Lap's (or "Bobby" as he was known) strapper, until Tommy died in the mid-'80s. I must catch up on that movie. A grand a beautiful 'red' horse. I''ve been to the museum in Canberra where Phra Lap is on display (taxidermied).

Great Eric quotes:

"Without danger, we cannot get behind danger".

Raging Bull. Great movie regardless of the subject.

Wonderful film. Agree.

Staying on the 'Damned United' subject, ..the best two moments of the movie didn't make the final cut,.. and they were,

1... Brian Clough smashing up Don Revie's desk, swinging the axe for the changes to come.

2... Cloughie gets the players to send back their new sponsorship cars to the dealer.

It was still a good movie even excluding some strange editing choices. 

jinx

Catch my first report ;               Catch my third report ;

Drinker Tailor Sober Thai     The Place Beyond The Fines. 

Catch my second report ;        My final report :

The Monger Games            Final Random Acts 

Docu-movie I guess rather than a movie per se

When we were Kings

Wonderful film. Particularly the whole racial politics thing that was played against Foreman.

Staying on the 'Damned United' subject, ..the best two moments of the movie didn't make the final cut,.. and they were,

1... Brian Clough smashing up Don Revie's desk, swinging the axe for the changes to come.

2... Cloughie gets the players to send back their new sponsorship cars to the dealer.

It was still a good movie even excluding some strange editing choices. 

Some great soundtrack in it though, like original Fleetwood Mac, eh?

Wonderful film. Particularly the whole racial politics thing that was played against Foreman.

Some great soundtrack in it though, like original Fleetwood Mac, eh?

Yep,...great soundtrack ..plus Colm Meaney was a dead ringer for Don Reavie. 

jinx

Aye, I've read that the name Phar Lap derives from the Thai word for lightning. Tom Burlinson was in that one. Ashamed to say I've never seen it.

I remember every Melbourne Cup day they used to bring out Tommy Woodcock, Phar Lap's (or "Bobby" as he was known) strapper, until Tommy died in the mid-'80s. I must catch up on that movie. A grand a beautiful 'red' horse. I''ve been to the museum in Canberra where Phra Lap is on display (taxidermied).

Yeah you should.. You should be proud of that horse but he was born in New Zealand. Wont matter because he was reared most of the time In Australia. Wish i was alive to watch him on live. What a pity was he was a gelding, Only for that he would have bred a lots of winners for Australia.

This Cantona movie I'm watching is getting right dramatic. Ken Loach and all that..

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

I couldn't understand that poem... Nobody can i guess.. But that had made him famous.

I couldn't understand that poem... Nobody can i guess.. But that had made him famous.

I'm no expert on Cantona comments but I think he was aiming it at the media circus surrounding his trial back then. The hacks following him around, living off every tidbit of information he decides to trow them. Cantona was a well read and cultured man away from football, the hacks could never get to grips with that. 

jinx

Cool runnings is about the extent of film/sport knowledge!

Maybe something like 'the color of money','the fighter' or 'trouble with the curve' would be better suggestions!

Bill

I'm no expert on Cantona comments but I think he was aiming it at the media circus surrounding his trial back then. The hacks following him around, living off every tidbit of information he decides to trow them. Cantona was a well read and cultured man away from football, the hacks could never get to grips with that. 

Good thought Jinx...  Media as a Seagull, Throwing sardines as a Info.  A boat as himself.

Cool runnings is about the extent of film/sport knowledge!

Maybe something like 'the color of money','the fighter' or 'trouble with the curve' would be better suggestions!

Bill

Loved "The Fighter". I always felt that "The Colur of Money" was as much a hussle film as it was Paul Newman passing on the mantle to Tom Cruise.

Bruce Beresford's " The Club " is a favourite of mine .

The goings on in an Aussie rules football club . Mainly played for laughs , but some good drama as well .

Jack Thompson is great , and the old bastard who plays Jock is a hoot .

Mikeyboy

Loved "The Fighter". I always felt that "The Colur of Money" was as much a hussle film as it was Paul Newman passing on the mantle to Tom Cruise.

I have never really thought of it like that! but I think you are right!

Colour of money was a film I really enjoyed back then, I am sure it would seem as dated as hell now though!

Bill

For boxing fans , Mark Robson's " Champion " with Kirk Douglas is a well acted Expose of the fight game .

Mikeyboy

a few worth a view the hurricane,ali,cinderella man and the harder they fall with humphrey bogart.have one more on the tip of my tounge.ill write it down and come back if i remember it.

Raging Bull. Great movie regardless of the subject.

For sure.

Docu-film wise, Hoop Dreams.

ESPN has some great docu-movies.

Escape To Victory ..!!

0088.jpg 

The teams were as follows ;

ALLIES (Visitors)

1. Robert Hatch (USA) (SYLVESTER STALONE)
2. Michael Fileu (Bel) (PAUL VAN HIMST)
3. Cptn John COLBY (UK) (MICHAEL CAINE)
4. Pieter Van Beck (Hol) (CO PRINS)
5.Doug Clure(UK) - (RUSSELL OSMAN)
6. Terry Brady (UK) (BOBBY MOORE)
7. Arthur Hayes(Sco) (JOHN WARK)
8. Carlos Rey (Arg) (OSSIE ARDILES)
9. Sid Harmor (UK) (MIKE SUMERBEE)
10. Luis Fernandez (Bra) (PELE)
11. Erik Borge(Denmark) (SOREN LINDSTED) 

GERMANS (Home)

1. Schmidt (Laurie Sivell)
2. Kuntz
3. Reinhardt
4. Baumann (Werner Roth)
5. Kuntz
6. Kuntz
7. Becker 
8. Kuntz
9.General Bronte
10. Strauss (Robin Turner)
11. Albrecht  

Points Of Interest ; 

1 . Mike Sumberbee cracked a smile?..miserable old cnut .

2. How many Kuntz were in the german team ?  

3. The sequel is due soon, after their freedom the team is now bought by Roman Abramovich. 

jinx

Archived