IGNORED

Sheraton

Luv2Phuket

I'm staying there on points in November.  While I realize that November is a lifetime from now, I am curious as to whether any BMs had stayed there recently and tried their shuttle service?

I think it is now free, so my plan was to try -- whenever possible -- to take it into Pattaya, thereby reducing my anticipated substantial songtaew expense (as posted in other threads, deathly fear of motorbikes means no motorbike taxi for me!)

I saw a post from 2009 that talked about a route to walk to WS that only took 15-20 minutes (via some pier).  Any idea what this is referring to?

Is it a "walk of death" these days or a fairly safe trek?  To be clear, I wouldn't walk it late at night (if at all after dark)

Also, are there ANY restaurants out by the hotel (besides the ones on premises)?  I'm also expecting a hefty room service and hotel restaurant tab....

Thanks in advance for the input!  I'll try to post plenty of details and photos once there.....IF November EVER gets here!

I should add that the room is free on Starwood points, so I consider these additional expenses merely the cost of doing business.  Hotel looks great, so well worth these minor costs.

I stayed there a few years back ... also on points.  It has not moved, so the walk is still the same.

If the shuttle is free, then that is a BIG plus.The walk is 20+ minutes, but it is also uphill.  You can walk via the waterfront, or via the main road.  Either way, back to the hotel from town is uphill.  So in the heat of the day, it can be pretty uncomfortable.  At night, I would not recomment it as it is too dark and deserted.

No restaurants near the hotel, which is a major downer.  And while the hotel food is nice, it is VERY overpriced.

Still it is a great property, and I may burn a few points there again someday.

Yes the shuttle to Central Festival is free, 5 times a day - There is one at 6pm, 7.30pm and 9pm I believe.  They come back a half hour later, but you may be geting your own transport then.

If you go out of the hotel and turn left, you walk down past Bali Hai Pier, all the boats and hit the end of Walking Street - 15-20 mins is about right.  There is a very good Thai restaurant with amazing views about a 8-10 min walk from the hotel along this route.  The walk down the hill early evening can be very pleasant (apart from the few minutes through the boat area which is a bit busy & mucky), but you are likely right not to do it late at night. 

I did it many times, you get to Walking Street, have a cold one to refresh and then are good to go. 

I would advise getting an Ocean View room or if possible an Ocean vew Pavilion - awesome views, and just superb to wake up overlooking Koh Larn and the ocean in the morning, no traffic sounds and just the breeze and the birds.  (Along with the gorgeous brown bunny in the room beside you).  If you have status in SPG, they are very good about honouring the upgrades depending on how busy they are. I dont think their category level changed, but you are set since you already have a reservation anyway.

The food since 2009 improved dramatically, although still expensive.  They got a new exec chef in 2010, and he has done great things, especially with their Infiniti restaurant.. well worth a try - especially the pizza.  If they have any wine dinner type events when you are there, I would highly recommend it if you are a foodie.  No-one in Pattaya does food as interesting as him at these events.

FWIW, I've always found the place very girl friendly, and while it is certainly high end (more than anywhere in Pattaya), the staff didn't make my girl(s) feel uncomfortable at all.  I spoke with the GM a few times & he also made her comfortable.  (which was ultimately to my benefit!).  A new GM just started, but I'd say the culture in the hotel is unlikely to change too much. 

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

I know I could look it up......but how many spg points/night? I've always converted mine to aeroplan to go towards flights. I have about 20k now  so I'm curious.

Save the spg points . Don't use for flight cost it's worth only 1.25cent per dollar. If u save it or hotels only it could worth 5 cent.<br /><br />But with 20,000 points you should have enough 1 FREE night . Or 5 cash/ points nights . Go with the cash/ points nights. These numbers are from the USA hotels Sheraton. Not 100%sure about Thailand

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

Yeah, I've never bought into the c/point stuff on airline points. I think it matters how you use them. For example, with 125000 points I can get a business class ticket to Asia either crossing one ocean twice or Atlantic & Pacific (so essentially a RTW flight) with 2 stopovers in addition to my point of turnaround. Those same points would be worth 5 economy tickets to Florida....that I could see being 1.25 c/point! 

I'm still a bit curious what the Sheraton costs (in spg points) but I'll probably convert them. SPG will give me 25k aeroplan points for 20k spg points. I'm waiting for the next conversion promo which should be late May so I might be able to get even more. 

Pattaya Sheraton was 10,000 pts/night, but you get the 5th night free if you book 4 nights, which reduced it to 8,000 pts/night.  I ended up booking a 6th night, in case I can sneak out my my convention in BKK a day/night early, so I averaged out to 8,333/night.

I say "was" because their new rates kicked in last week (a big reason why I booked when I did).  I thought I read that it was going up, but I just looked at their chart and it appears to still be a category 4 hotel, which should be 10,000/night.....DOH!

For what it's worth, the dates I am staying, the cheapest room is going for like $185/night (ocean view is $218, but not available for points booking in advance and I don't have "status" with SWP, so I doubt they will bump me into one)

I typically focus my energy/points on airline miles and ignore hotel points.  This trip will be an exception, as I am clearing out Hilton, Marriott and SWP before their increases (though, as noted, Sheraton in Pattaya appears to be remaining the same).  

In hindsight, maybe I should have used the 50,000 SWP points for 62,500 AA miles.  When AA and US Air merge, I'll have about 300,000 miles, and that's after using 117,500 for the flight on that trip (first class there; biz class on way back).  I figured I would cash out for my room this trip, instead, but now that I just realized those 5 nights are effectively costing me a free one-way first class ticket from LAX to BKK on Cathay, I'm starting to re-think it.....

In hindsight, maybe I should have used the 50,000 SWP points for 62,500 AA miles.  When AA and US Air merge, I'll have about 300,000 miles, and that's after using 117,500 for the flight on that trip (first class there; biz class on way back).  I figured I would cash out for my room this trip, instead, but now that I just realized those 5 nights are effectively costing me a free one-way first class ticket from LAX to BKK on Cathay, I'm starting to re-think it.....

Indeed, I no longer use SPG point for hotel stays.  I convert everything to AA.

BTW, you only get the 5000 mile bonus when you convert 20,000 points (20K points = 25K AA miles).  So if you convert 50k points, you only get 60 miles.  Only convert in increments of 20k points to maximize value.

I have found that Cathay offers great close-in award availability in all classes of service.  I can always find a first class award seat within a week of departure.

I stayed there 2 years Go. Upgraded to poolside suite. Very nice, but not close to anything. If there was a shuttle it neverr coincided with our plans. we rented Scooters most of stay. High end property

Totally agree with Azztapper.  Go. 

16 hours luxury on Cathay versus 5 days luxury at Sheraton Pattaya. Not a difficult decision in my mind.  The first class flight has a higher dollar value, but sometimes life is not about a dollar value, it's about experience.  

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Thanks Azztapper and PeterKe! (Peter - I almost PM'd you before starting this thread b/c I think you had some great posts in the older thread)

I'm still leaning heavily towards staying there -- as you say, I can stay at SeaMe or Holiday Inn or any number of other upscale places, but not get the same experience.

That said, I realized I may have one slight issue.  I will be at a convention in BKK the week before I head back to Pattaya.  I may have some friends who want to come to Pattaya with me for a few days after the convention.  IF that happens, I don't think they would want to pony up what the Sheraton will cost them, and trying to meet up with them while staying there would be a huge pain in the ass for me.  

So, for now, the only way I see myself NOT staying at the Sheraton is if these friends want to come to Pattaya with me.  In that limited event, I'll either try to talk them into coming in BEFORE the convention or try to get us all set in the Soi 10 area, since I know of 4 separate hotels in the same block that I am fine with (SeaMe, Sea Me Too, Page 10 and Stay) and like that area.  

Other than that, I am really looking forward to checking this property out!

Thanks for the info! I think I'll stick with my plan to convert to aeroplan points though. It's just not as easy to get points here so in the past I've had Best Western, Marriott & Starwood points and converted all of them to aeroplan. There are enough cheap places to stay in Pattaya so I'd rather build towards more flights. I already booked my trip for Dec and I'm close to having enough points for another one.

Archived