Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Ex Sydney on budget airlines

sydneysteve

Having missed visiting last year due to personal circumstances I’m back on track this year. Having not seen any promo fares from any of the major carriers for some time I decided to travel with budget airlines for the first time. This will be the first time I’ve arrived in to Bangkok during daylight.

Following is what I decided upon:

Forward flight by Air Asia:

Sydney – Kuala Lumpur

Flight D7 221 depart 2125 arrive 0400

Baggage check-in <15kg - $17

Quiet Zone seating - $49

In-flight Entertainment - $14

2 meals - $3.90 + $2.90

Processing Fee - $16

4hrs 25mins layover (Note: I stuffed up here as there is a flight 2hrs earlier (AK1954 0645/0730) but having laid over in KL before I’m too stingy to pay $50 to change)

Kuala Lumpur – Bangkok

AK1940 depart 0845 arrive 0930

Baggage <15k g- $17

seat fee - $2.26

decided no Meal as it’s only a short flight

COST: $410.84

Return flight Scoot Airlines: Fly/Bag/Eat

Bangkok - Singapore

TZ301 depart 2005 arrive 2320

Scootbiz promo (which was cheaper than Economy seat so ok you got me)

Baggage <15kg

Meal

Scoot Thru Fee - 400 baht (avoid having to go through Customs)

2hrs 50mins layover

Singapore – Sydney

TX2 depart 0210 arrive 1140

Baggage <15kg

Seat Request Fee - 750 baht

Meal

Convenience Fee – 475 baht (not sure what this was for)

Passed on the Entertainment Tablet for 1000 baht as I’ll use my Netbook

COST: $375.24

Last note: Thank you to all the people who have posted flight info especially to those who recommended Air Asia outbound and Scoot return. If your thinking of ex Sydney with budget airlines this is the way to go IMHO

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Looks good! The only question id have is how much was a flight with Thai, Emirates or Qantas that go direct from SYD to BKK, if cost is the ultimate goal or if you don't mind paying a little extra to go non stop, you haven't mentioned your dates?

• 6 months later...

Just thought I'd give some feedback on my experience with these 2 airlines.

I departed 26 July returned 17 August.

All flights pretty much departed on time.

Air Asia uses LCCT airport in KL. The transit lounge has a couple of money exchange & a few shops. Basically nothing to do so a good book or a laptop is essential for any layover. They didn't put up my flight no. at the exit door. I ended up, when I started to think my flight should be boarding, going & asking, to be told my flight is boarding. About a 600m walk to the plane.

Scoot on my return was all good. No problem passing time at Changi airport, free internet stations, indoor gardens etc (see website).

Overall, I had no real problems with either airline. However, given what I paid in total, I will pay the extra in future for the convenience of a direct return ticket (or similar) with a major carrier.

Postnote: my first 6 trips were all with major carriers so I do have some knowledge about prices.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I've managed to book Syd-SIN-BKK-Mel on 26 Dec to 6 Jan for around $800 which was pretty miraculous for that time of year. That's with Scoot/Air Asia/Jetstar.

It is worth paying for better seats on low-cost carriers.

Generally ex Melbourne, Jetstar direct is pretty good value.  Air Asia have become a lot more expensive now, and certainly not worth the discomfort. IMHO

i always fly singapore airlines out of adelaide but airasia start flying this month

adelaide to bangkok via singapore is 1700

air asia via kl is 1100

quite a difference in money so think im gonna go the air asia route

Archived