Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

my experience at Chonburi (Jomtien) immigration

penboy

This is not a moan but  someone might find my experience useful for future reference.

I came in on a 60 day single entry tourist visa that expires on 9th March, my flight back is on 27th March.

I decided not to leave the 30 day extension until last minute so went in to the immigration office on Friday 1st March around 1:30. Utter pandomonium greeted me with arguments going on at reception desk and a packed office. Saw an official who looked at my passport and told me to come back next week. ''Cannot do today, too busy'' is what I was told. I tried reasoning with her but she would not budge.

Went back today (Weds. 6th), got there at 8:30, similar scene. Farang gentlemean gave me a form and I filled it out. Went back with everything required (photo, form, photocopies, passport), same girl as Friday tells me to come back in afternoon - too busy, already 100 customers.

I go back at 3:00, figuring that the mass scramble at 1;00 will have subsided, official tells me to come back tomorrow. I pull a face of disappointment, tell him it is my 3rd visit and that I was there earlier in the day and was told to come back in the afternoon. He reluctantly gives me a ticket, whilst turning away people who were looking for a re-entry visa.

I was seen at 5:00 pm and was the 2nd to last person to be seen that day. They really got shifting through the queue at around 4:30 and saw about 25 people in the last half hour. Prior to that it seemed to be about 20 people per hour.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is good info Penboy and I think alot have been through the same as you,

Unfortunately with the masses of tourists now coming to Patts and also the expat community the new building they are now is not big enough.

In there defense they are dealing with 500-600 falangs per day so I can understand why they get a bit unfriendly and it is difficult for them to cope which is why passports are going missing and people are being told to come back.

There is no cure or answer, apart from expect a long waiting time, smile and try not to get upset, remember to us falangs they are the Police we have to be concerned about,

Just plan it as a hot sticky day out and give a :GoldenSmile1:

Posted Image

They weren't unfriendly, just couldn't cope with the numbers. Their method is to try and send anyone who does not have to be seen on the day, away.

The long term solution IMO is to have more staff. My 1,900 baht that took 5 minutes work could easily fund 4 more staff for a day. How much do they rake in at the office? 

What concerns me is what would have happened if I turned up on the expiry date of my visa and they were over-run with people. Would they send me away? If not, then maybe that is the tactic that people should use in future for visa extensions i.e. leave it until last minute.

I had to go to immigration to get a residency letter a few months ago to renew my driving license in Sakon Nakhon hardly any queue st all.

Cost 500 baht last time I got one in Pattaya it was 200 baht is there a set fee or do each immigration office set their own rates.

Had a similar experience doing a 7 day renewal last month but I did leave it to the last minute(went Friday with visa expiring sat).,,,they said 1 day overstay is fine so they use a little discresion in those scenarios....took a ticket then went for lunch and a walk outside. Arrived 1pm and finished at 4:30pm, almost wished I did a visa run to Cambodia instead.

I had to go to immigration to get a residency letter a few months ago to renew my driving license in Sakon Nakhon hardly any queue st all.

Cost 500 baht last time I got one in Pattaya it was 200 baht is there a set fee or do each immigration office set their own rates.

I got a residency certificate from Jomtien last week. It was quick and the usual price of 200 Baht. However, like the OP reported the place was packed and they were turning people away.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Well, this solution might not be feasible for many. But the immigration at Chaeng Wattana at Bangkok is really efficient and is not turning anyone away. Can be combined with a daytrip in BKK.

It's for years already like this in high season .

Maybe it's about time they gonna make a decent immigration office . With the enormous amount of money (500/600 times 1900Bht is about 1mill a day)

they can easily make one of the most beautiful buildings in Thailand with 25 officers instead of the 2 officers that they have now for extending the visas .

I rather make an air trip to Phom Penh to get an extra month on my visa than waiting all day in a packed office in Jomtien and at the 1900 Bht what the

extension costs half the airfair is already paid for .

Can you extend the visa anywhere in Thailand or does it have to be in your home address's jurisdiction? Does the answer to that question depend on the type of visa?

The regulations for people with retirement and tourist visas (not on arrival exempt) seem a bit harsh as compared to other countries. They should just let 1 year retirement folks come in once a year to renew, no 90 day crap or maybe make a website to do your 90 day check-in and address changes. As for tourists, let us just get one year and have us do 90 day in person checkups. charge for it, fine. As for residency certs, wtf. Make people on tourists get one to get a license, then the license is required to put a bike/car in your name. no need for a res cert to buy a car since you have an official license . and while we are at it, just one license card for bike and car please.

charge more but less paperwork is fine. Besides nationalism or xeonphobia I can't really LOGICALLY figure out why they want to make everyones life so difficult.

Guest ablemonger

Can you extend the visa anywhere in Thailand or does it have to be in your home address's jurisdiction? Does the answer to that question depend on the type of visa?

do you mean get an extention on a Tourist visa? if so, it is my understanding that it is yes. Case in point, everyone generally flies into Bangkok but then eventually gets an extention in Pattaya (for those going to pattaya).

If you mean a 90 day checkin for a retirement visa, then hopefully someone will chime in.

In the past when I was constantly traveling around Thailand I would extend my Tourist visa at the nearest Immigration Office.

Every provincial capital and some bordertowns and seaports have Immigration Offices.

plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

Always been B200 when I have got one, and that's the right fee, but if you want one the same day you can pay B500

Hi Nice response

you sound like a very patient and wise chap u r right we do have to bend to there ways its a great place to go and if you have one upset its not the end of the world to lose one day just site and smile..

steve

This is good info Penboy and I think alot have been through the same as you,

Unfortunately with the masses of tourists now coming to Patts and also the expat community the new building they are now is not big enough.

In there defense they are dealing with 500-600 falangs per day so I can understand why they get a bit unfriendly and it is difficult for them to cope which is why passports are going missing and people are being told to come back.

There is no cure or answer, apart from expect a long waiting time, smile and try not to get upset, remember to us falangs they are the Police we have to be concerned about,

Just plan it as a hot sticky day out and give a :GoldenSmile1:

avoid the crowds! you can use a visa agent to walk thru your requests for a few hundred baht in jomtien. i use orn at 087 518 1430....

Avoid jamming up the offices by not bringing your TI RAK along with you.......

LOS. Gotta Love It.

True, and some even bring their kids, babies and carrier in there!

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

I don’t think that the Jomtien immigration office is more staffed than 5 years ago, despite the increase of tourist’s numbers, so they have a serious bottleneck on counters 1 & 2 especially during high season. There, only 2 officers (when present) have to handle too much: overstays, tourists asking an extension of stay, lost arrival cards, whatever… and also the re-entry permits.

I had to sit and smile during 3 hours yesterday afternoon for a simple re-entry stamp.

TIRAK wanted to come with me, don’t know why, but she was lucky that I refused.

Tirak miss you mak mak

Thanks for the reply guys

So it might make sense to just go for a little day trip to the nearest immigration office away from the Pats/Jomtien frenzy

Does anyone know what the closest one is?

Does anyone know what the closest one is?

Perhaps Sri Racha?

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I went today, thought I'd go early around 10am to beat the crowd, sill thought. Was a mass of people at the doorway. Finally got through to get the correct form to fill in and they told me fill it out, photo copy passport and come back at 1pm. 

So now gone back to hotel and will return again at 1pm. I'm expecting an even bigger crowd at 1pm as they were telling every one to do that

Very good point mate. Everytime I been there I see guys with their Tiraks.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

This is a good post, along with Plahgat's post about his misplaced passport. Obviously things are stretched to snapping point at Jomtien at the present time. I have to renew my annual retirement in July, hopefully by then the high season crowds will have dropped.

I may consider 1) doing extension in another province or 2) Paying an agent to do it for me (thanks thebigh - I've made a note of that phone number)

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

stop off in the visa shops to the left of the office. They will, at no charge make sure that your stuff is in order and if you need a photo or copies they will do that for a small fee.

Oh, go early, smile a lot, never lose your cool either....

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

Archived