The Sly Fox

Lao Trip Report February 2013

rsar

VV is indeed quieter now but still pretty fucking crazy if you want it to be.  Just was there last week and had the pleasure of witnessing the rocket festival, aka the craziest shit ever.  Went tubing, etc.  Only 3 bars open along the riverside for tubing but still about 100 of us tubing down the river all completely drunk...good times.  

Indeed, there are bars full of people on mushrooms watching Friends, or since I was there for the Champions League final, a bar full of backpackers hallucinating while watching german soccer (im american).

As for the cops, a friend of mine who I met in LP had just come from VV and said he watched 4 people get busted for smoking weed by the river.  Each paid 400 USD but the guy who had possession of the bag was instructed to go buy another bag and set the dealer up so the cops could shoot him in the head.  Not wanting to get anyone killed, he politely refused and ended up negotiating a 1,000 USD fine.  Shit.

The Sly Fox

OK, it was a bit on the quiet side during my last visit, sounds like some extra folk were in VV for the rocket fest.

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. The scenery is real nice there. I love the bus ride from VV to LP as well, through those mountains around Kasi is a blast.

rsar

Yea I think the rocket fest had a lot to do with it, people from all over the province were coming in town for it.  Everyone that I talked to that had been in the past said it is nothing like it used to be.  Oh well, if youre in a group, you can still enjoy yourself.

The Sly Fox

Yea I think the rocket fest had a lot to do with it, people from all over the province were coming in town for it.  Everyone that I talked to that had been in the past said it is nothing like it used to be.  Oh well, if youre in a group, you can still enjoy yourself.

I never been there for the rocket fest, but will try line up a trip next year.

erik3erik3

Luang Prabang has nice Buddhist temples. Young monks collect their daily meal in front of them in the morning.

The Sly Fox

Luang Prabang has nice Buddhist temples. Young monks collect their daily meal in front of them in the morning.

True but I got a bit pissed off with LP temples, seemed every one I went to look at had some bastard sitting out front collecting an admission fee from farangs, Lao of course just waltz past.

The Sly Fox

Compare with Laos, Cambodia looks industrialised.

Yeah, once you get past Vientiane there's not much to the country, seems like there's lots of available unused land about.

erik3erik3

The same thing happened to me, it pissed me off a little as well.

Edited by erik3erik3

Skygod

Yeah, once you get past Vientiane there's not much to the country, seems like there's lots of available unused land about.

And that land will be littered with unexploded US ordnance!

erik3erik3

Yes it is, during Vietnam War the US encourages its pilots dump unused bombs into Laos.

The Sly Fox

Yes it is, during Vietnam War the US encourages its pilots dump unused bombs into Laos.

How wide-spread was the dumping of unused bombs? I know this happened a lot over Phonsavan and POJ as this was a direct flight path between Udon and Hanoi.

joemu1

saw the movie about the rocket festival here in aussie ...worth a look and i believe an authentic look at lao ways and customs. 

Cotterpin

Seen on UK government website:

Unbelievable but is this true?

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/laos/local-laws-and-customs

QUOTE:

The Lao Government prohibits sexual relationships between foreign and Lao nationals, except when the two parties have been married in accordance with Lao family law. Permission for marriage or engagement to a Lao national must be submitted in a formal application to the Lao authorities.  Penalties for engaging in prohibited sexual contact or failing to register a relationship range from US$500 to US$5,000 and may also involve imprisonment. It is not unknown for Lao authorities to demand entry into hotel rooms or guesthouses where they suspect this regulation is being broken.

The Sly Fox

Seen on UK government website:

Unbelievable but is this true?

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/laos/local-laws-and-customs

QUOTE:

The Lao Government prohibits sexual relationships between foreign and Lao nationals, except when the two parties have been married in accordance with Lao family law. Permission for marriage or engagement to a Lao national must be submitted in a formal application to the Lao authorities.  Penalties for engaging in prohibited sexual contact or failing to register a relationship range from US$500 to US$5,000 and may also involve imprisonment. It is not unknown for Lao authorities to demand entry into hotel rooms or guesthouses where they suspect this regulation is being broken.

That definitely was the case, my first visit to Lao about 10 years ago I was warned not to have anything to do with Lao women, even P4P. And I was told stories about expats with Lao GFs having to produce marriage licenses or legal docs about intent to marry, in order to date their Lao GFs. 

But things have relaxed greatly in recent years and it's my understanding that those stringent laws have been dropped or changed. The laws may well still be in effect but are no longer being enforced as they were in the past. Certainly not in Vientiane, maybe it's still strict upcountry. But in Vientiane you can see many farang guys getting about with Lao gals, and Lao P4P gals are all around the city.

northstate2

That definitely was the case, my first visit to Lao about 10 years ago I was warned not to have anything to do with Lao women, even P4P. And I was told stories about expats with Lao GFs having to produce marriage licenses or legal docs about intent to marry, in order to date their Lao GFs. 

But things have relaxed greatly in recent years and it's my understanding that those stringent laws have been dropped or changed. The laws may well still be in effect but are no longer being enforced as they were in the past. Certainly not in Vientiane, maybe it's still strict upcountry. But in Vientiane you can see many farang guys getting about with Lao gals, and Lao P4P gals are all around the city.

Great TR, thanks! I have never been to Laos, but think about going there for a longer stay next year. It sounds good that the cops don't enforce the above-mentioned law - even though it does leave you vulnerable as a Farang mongerer if some dodgy hotel clerk, tuk-tuk driver or bent cop want to earn some extra cash by blacmailing you?! Any bad experiences like that?

The Sly Fox

Great TR, thanks! I have never been to Laos, but think about going there for a longer stay next year. It sounds good that the cops don't enforce the above-mentioned law - even though it does leave you vulnerable as a Farang mongerer if some dodgy hotel clerk, tuk-tuk driver or bent cop want to earn some extra cash by blacmailing you?! Any bad experiences like that?

I've never heard of any bad experiences with mongering and I know lots of guys who have got laid in Lao.

The only bad Lao stories I've heard have been with drugs. Tourists score from locals, then locals tell cops, cops pick up the tourists and squeeze a couple K USD out of them in order to get a release.