Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

US Airways 100% Point Bonus (Might be targeted)

Little Evil

Hello All,

Just an FYI: I was checking out my US Airways Dividend Miles account this morning, as I typically do when back home and longing for my next trip.  I looked into the "Buy Miles" section for no particular reason.  I saw a message in red saying something like "Lucky you, for a limited time, get 100% miles bonus when purchasing points".  This might be targeted, where only certain people will get this bonus, or it could be open to anyone.  I didn't receive any notice via email about it, so I'm thinking it is targeted.

Anyway, I'm super happy about this because I missed the January targeted campaign.  To break down the deal, miles are usually 3.5 cents/mile.  This give you a 100% bonus up to 50k miles when you buy 50k miles.  50k miles will cost you $1880. after taxes and fees, but you will net 100k miles with the match, so 1.75 cents/mile.  If you have 20K+ spare miles lying about, then you can add this 100k miles to your existing miles and get business class to BKK for 120k miles.  

Is this a good deal?  Well, that depends on what you consider a deal.  For economy, not particularly, as the purchase price for miles is about the same or a little higher than buying a ticket outright.  For business or first, however, this is a deal and a half.  I have about 20k points, so buying 100k for $1,880. means buying a business class ticket for $1,880. plus ticket processing fees (as low as $75 if on United. Higher for Cathay).  Considering a business class round trip ticket from the North East USA is typically higher than $5,000., then this is a steal.  The only downside is contending with any blackout days or low seat availability.  I think first class is around 160k points, so it would also do wonders at helping you get on first too.  

Lastly, if BKK isn't your destination, then there are plenty of places to reach via Star Alliance on business class for this base 100k miles.  Parts of China, Hawaii, and I think Japan/Korea should all be in the 100k miles range, so $1,880. for a round trip business class ticket to those destinations (ticket processing fees and fuel surcharges will change upon carrier and destination).  Just Google Star Alliance Award Chart to find out.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All,

Just an FYI: I was checking out my US Airways Dividend Miles account this morning, as I typically do when back home and longing for my next trip.  I looked into the "Buy Miles" section for no particular reason.  I saw a message in red saying something like "Lucky you, for a limited time, get 100% miles bonus when purchasing points".  This might be targeted, where only certain people will get this bonus, or it could be open to anyone.  I didn't receive any notice via email about it, so I'm thinking it is targeted.

Anyway, I'm super happy about this because I missed the January targeted campaign.  To break down the deal, miles are usually 3.5 cents/mile.  This give you a 100% bonus up to 50k miles when you buy 50k miles.  50k miles will cost you $1880. after taxes and fees, but you will net 100k miles with the match, so 1.75 cents/mile.  If you have 20K+ spare miles lying about, then you can add this 100k miles to your existing miles and get business class to BKK for 120k miles.  

Is this a good deal?  Well, that depends on what you consider a deal.  For economy, not particularly, as the purchase price for miles is about the same or a little higher than buying a ticket outright.  For business or first, however, this is a deal and a half.  I have about 20k points, so buying 100k for $1,880. means buying a business class ticket for $1,880. plus ticket processing fees (as low as $75 if on United. Higher for Cathay).  Considering a business class round trip ticket from the North East USA is typically higher than $5,000., then this is a steal.  The only downside is contending with any blackout days or low seat availability.  I think first class is around 160k points, so it would also do wonders at helping you get on first too.  

Lastly, if BKK isn't your destination, then there are plenty of places to reach via Star Alliance on business class for this base 100k miles.  Parts of China, Hawaii, and I think Japan/Korea should all be in the 100k miles range, so $1,880. for a round trip business class ticket to those destinations (ticket processing fees and fuel surcharges will change upon carrier and destination).  Just Google Star Alliance Award Chart to find out.  

Good post mate, I'm surprised how many of my american friends dont abuse the Air Miles. 

Think it is chase that gives you 100,00 Air mile when you sign up and spend 5k on the CC in the first 3 months and no Fee for having it. Then you cancel it and get it again next year all for the sake of a little bit of re-earnable credit rating.

So you get your CC buy your plane ticket to BKK for 1k and charge your bills and everything to the CC for the first 3 month while paying it out in full on the last day of each month.

Congrats you now have 118,000 airmiles after your trip to pattaya and can get business class on your next flight.

Wish we had these offer's in Australia.

Posted Image

Good post mate, I'm surprised how many of my american friends dont abuse the Air Miles. 

Think it is chase that gives you 100,00 Air mile when you sign up and spend 5k on the CC in the first 3 months and no Fee for having it. Then you cancel it and get it again next year all for the sake of a little bit of re-earnable credit rating.

So you get your CC buy your plane ticket to BKK for 1k and charge your bills and everything to the CC for the first 3 month while paying it out in full on the last day of each month.

Congrats you now have 118,000 airmiles after your trip to pattaya and can get business class on your next flight.

Wish we had these offer's in Australia.

Yes, that is an exploitable option.  One could get a few hundred thousand  miles/points off credit card offers, assuming you had enough to cover the minimum purchase price for the promotion.  There used to be a trick where you would find one CC company that offered a Visa and a MC or Amex under the same airline.  You'd sign up for the cards all at the same time (required using two separate browsers). Assuming you were approved, you'd get both sets of points under the same promotion.  

Problem with this technique is that you have to have great credit for maximum miles/points (750+), so it isn't open to all.  Secondly, opening and closing accounts, even in yearly cycles, has a negative impact on credit history.  Opening cards create hard pulls.  Closing accounts, even ones in good standing, limits account history.  Both of these blips can cause one to lose a few dozen points off his credit score.  Granted, these types of hits repair themselves after a couple years, but if you do this every year, just assume your score will be at least 10-20 points lower than it should be.  

There is also a Canadian Amex points bonus right now for transfer into the British Airways points program.  I think it is like a 50% bonus for every point transferred into the BA system.  

Yes, that is an exploitable option.  One could get a few hundred thousand  miles/points off credit card offers, assuming you had enough to cover the minimum purchase price for the promotion.  There used to be a trick where you would find one CC company that offered a Visa and a MC or Amex under the same airline.  You'd sign up for the cards all at the same time (required using two separate browsers). Assuming you were approved, you'd get both sets of points under the same promotion.  

Problem with this technique is that you have to have great credit for maximum miles/points (750+), so it isn't open to all.  Secondly, opening and closing accounts, even in yearly cycles, has a negative impact on credit history.  Opening cards create hard pulls.  Closing accounts, even ones in good standing, limits account history.  Both of these blips can cause one to lose a few dozen points off his credit score.  Granted, these types of hits repair themselves after a couple years, but if you do this every year, just assume your score will be at least 10-20 points lower than it should be.  

There is also a Canadian Amex points bonus right now for transfer into the British Airways points program.  I think it is like a 50% bonus for every point transferred into the BA system.  

Yea, there are a few bloggers out there that have flown around the world for past couple of years for free including their hotels. So it is do-able they churn 10 or so credit cards every 6 months I believe, wouldn't be a smart thing to do if you were in investment properties but then if your deep into IP's you will be spending 100k a year on CC's a year anyway.

Still good to make people aware of these things, would hate to be on a 30hr flight in econ if I could do otherwise.

Posted Image

Yea, there are a few bloggers out there that have flown around the world for past couple of years for free including their hotels. So it is do-able they churn 10 or so credit cards every 6 months I believe, wouldn't be a smart thing to do if you were in investment properties but then if your deep into IP's you will be spending 100k a year on CC's a year anyway.

Still good to make people aware of these things, would hate to be on a 30hr flight in econ if I could do otherwise.

Don't get me wrong.  CC offers are a great option, and you are definitely right in that people should know about it if they haven't already taken advantage of it.  You could pretty much get a free ride for a trip or two in one year.  Just wanted to put the caution disclaimer on it.  In fact, even with the points thing I mentioned, it can be a little tricky when it comes time to actually book.  Either the phone agents are all relatively stupid, or they purposely make it difficult to redeem flights by acting dumb about routes.  I had to call a few times last trip before I got someone competent (or wiling) to book my flight, even though I already had all the flight numbers for each leg.  I use United's website or the ANA hack to figure out routes.  

That being said, there are plenty of other options for points/miles.  Some hotel programs allow point swapping.  US Airways and United both offer dining programs that give you either 3 or 5 miles for every dollar spent on participating restaurants.  I net about 400 miles/month on that one alone.  Used to be more when I lived across the street from a participating restaurant.  I also do those grueling surveys.  They can take some time to fill out, but I net up to 1,500 miles/month on that system.  Lastly, I use the storefront search engine (1 mile for every 3 searches) and also buy just about every holiday and birthday present through their shopping portal (1-8 miles per dollar).  If you own your own business and shop and Lowes or Home Depot for stock, they offer 1 mile/dollar, and sometimes more during bonus days.  That means, you could conceivably use your Amex for stock orders, get those points, and then get US Airways points too.  I've earned about 10,000 points so far this year without buying anything that I wouldn't have already been buying.  

Gotta hustle them points now that the Grand Slam is defunct and US Airways dropped their BoA debit card.  

Don't get me wrong.  CC offers are a great option, and you are definitely right in that people should know about it if they haven't already taken advantage of it.  You could pretty much get a free ride for a trip or two in one year.  Just wanted to put the caution disclaimer on it.  In fact, even with the points thing I mentioned, it can be a little tricky when it comes time to actually book.  Either the phone agents are all relatively stupid, or they purposely make it difficult to redeem flights by acting dumb about routes.  I had to call a few times last trip before I got someone competent (or wiling) to book my flight, even though I already had all the flight numbers for each leg.  I use United's website or the ANA hack to figure out routes.  

That being said, there are plenty of other options for points/miles.  Some hotel programs allow point swapping.  US Airways and United both offer dining programs that give you either 3 or 5 miles for every dollar spent on participating restaurants.  I net about 400 miles/month on that one alone.  Used to be more when I lived across the street from a participating restaurant.  I also do those grueling surveys.  They can take some time to fill out, but I net up to 1,500 miles/month on that system.  Lastly, I use the storefront search engine (1 mile for every 3 searches) and also buy just about every holiday and birthday present through their shopping portal (1-8 miles per dollar).  If you own your own business and shop and Lowes or Home Depot for stock, they offer 1 mile/dollar, and sometimes more during bonus days.  That means, you could conceivably use your Amex for stock orders, get those points, and then get US Airways points too.  I've earned about 10,000 points so far this year without buying anything that I wouldn't have already been buying.  

Gotta hustle them points now that the Grand Slam is defunct and US Airways dropped their BoA debit card.  

Yea man always do you due diligence on everything you partake in. Sucks about the tele guys fucking you over, thought you could do it all online thats how we do it in Aus.

Posted Image

Yea man always do you due diligence on everything you partake in. Sucks about the tele guys fucking you over, thought you could do it all online thats how we do it in Aus.

My main program has always been US Airways, which only has a few South American international destinations.  They don't fly Asia at all, but because they are in Star Alliance, I can get United, ANA, Air China, and others (sadly, Singapore business/first and Lufthansa first class are no longer available in 2013).  Unfortunately, I have to call to book because the US Airways website only shows their own routes, but as long as you know the flight numbers, that's all that is needed.  I'd switch out of US Airways, but they have the most non-purchase mile earning programs, as well as some of the best mile flight deals.

Update: As it turns out, I got an email from US Airways saying this mile bonus is a new promotion for existing Dividend Miles members, where you can get anywhere between 25-100% miles bonus.  Each person gets a different offer, like a lottery.  I guess I just lucked out.  

GREAT to see another BM that is paying attention to the "miles game"!

Technically, I have 2 US Air accounts, as I set one up in my Mom's name during Grand Slam in 2011 (damn I miss that!).  She drew the short end of the stick, and was only offered a 25% bonus, by my primary account drew the 100% bonus offer.  I currently have about 165k US Air (aka "Dividend") miles, so I doubt that I will be buying more at this time, despite the great price reduction.  The "experts" seem to be saying buy them only if you have a specific trip in mind.

FWIW, I built all 165k of my US Air miles through their Grand Slam promotion and credit card deals -- haven't actually flown them in years.  With the upcoming merger with AA, they will combine my 2 largest frequent flier account, and I should have around 300k miles combined in them.  Again, I fly VERY infrequently, so these miles are built through credit card offers.  I am just finishing up my last minimum spend to gain another 50k United miles, and I am sitting on a virtual treasure trove of Chase Ultimate Reward points form my Sapphire, Ink Bold and Ink Plus cards.

Little Evil -- have you gotten a US Air card from Barclays?  I highly recommend it, as the card will likely go away as soon as they merge with AA, and it offers a great bonus after your first charge (as opposed to a minimum spend).  I think the bonus has been reduced to 35,000 miles, but I got in before the reduction and got 40,009 US Air miles for a $9 charge.  (see my link below for a blog entry with a link to the current application)

For those who wonder how to hit the minimum spend, just charge EVERYTHING.  In addition, look for "deals" on gift cards -- Staples is running a GREAT promotion for the next month (I think) -- you get a free $15 Visa gift card for every $150 in gift cards purchased.  $200 Visa GCs cost $6.95, so your $206.96 purchase nets you $215 iin Visa GCs.  Granted, you are paying up front for the "credit," but it is fantastic deal; if you need to hit a minimum spend.  Also, with the Chase Ink cards, you get 5x whatever you spend at Staples, and the GCs show up as "office supplies."   I use this WAY too often -- combined with the ones I bought at Staples this weekend, I am now sitting on about $1500 in Visa GCs!  55555

A couple of caveats:

- do NOT play the credit card miles game UNLESS you pay off your bill in its entirety each month.  The miles are great, but the interest on these cards is astronomical.

- you can get some good miles bonuses with relatively little action/effort, but if you get fairly obsessed at it (as I am starting to do), tio can eat up a big chunk of time.  That said, my "research" has directed me to article on "reconsideration" calls, and I have gotten multiple cards after initially getting declined (due to having TOO many f*cking cards!)

- if you have miles and can't find a flight/availability, consider using a frequent flier booking service like "PointsPros.com" - those guys are masters at finding ways to use your miles, albeit the flights might not be perfectly timed/routed (ex: I had to fly from LA-London-Frankfurt-BKK to get a freebie on my last trip).  No charge unless they find you an acceptable booking.

Finally, the timing on this couldn't be any better -- here is a blog entry from earlier today highlighting the best credit card offers this month (ironically enough, from the guy who runs PointsPros):   http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime/2013/03/04/10-best-credit-card-sign-up-bonuses-for-march/

Best of luck -- and as I always add when I have these absurdly long posts about miles, credit cards, etc., feel free to drop me a PM for links or any other info

Great thread,

I started doing this about 3 yrs ago, i signed up for AA miles then applied with Citi AMEX and Visa, had to spend 1500 on each card to get 75000 from each, so i got both cards( used different Browsers). Then after i got the cards, i call American Airlines Vacations, and booked a Cruise for me and my kids. BOOM 1500 each card, and for booking thru them i also got triple miles for the vacation, there was another 12000 miles. So after all that i received 165000 miles.

I got a Business Class ticket to Philippines for 75 dollars for the Tax, Not bad huh. There is a Forum thats devoted to air miles and points. 

FlyerTalk Forums - Search Results

It gives all the info on Credit Cards and what bonuses you can get, very useful site.

www.thaibeautydating.com

Thailand's Fastest growing Dating website

i did the same thing with American Airlines and Citi Bank, 75000 miles if you spend 1500 in 6 months, I got the Visa and Amex, 75k each, plus i booked a cruise thru AA vacations, and got triple miles for the price of the cruise, altogether it came out to 165000 miles. 

I used some of them for a business class ticket to the Philippines, Cost was 75 dollars for the tax. There is a forum that is all about Miles and points for the Airlines, Very useful 

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php

Sorry for the double post, thought the first one got lost, if a MOD could delete the fist one please?????

Thanks

www.thaibeautydating.com

Thailand's Fastest growing Dating website

Great point, footypjman, about the interest rate and paying up front every month.  Those sign up bonuses aren't worth it if you pay interest every month, or at least aren't as good as they sound.  I knew about the US Airways CC sign up bonus.  It was the best deal for a while, but I carry a 60% utilization and didn't want to chance a hard pull on a rejection.  I heard about those Vanilla cards too.  Haven't tried that one yet, but I did hear some chatter that Chase/Staples may pull it due to abuse, so you might want to load up now.  My latest miles endeavor was joining a wine club.  5k miles after the first two orders (monthly), then 5 miles/dollar thereafter.  Can quit any time.  First order is $42. for 6 bottles, second it closer to double.  I drink wine anyway and would spend at least that amount a month, so free miles as far as I'm concerned.  

With those two accounts, you may want to wait until US Airways does another transfer bonus.  The transfer fee made it like 1.29 cents/mile, which was even better than the 100% buy bonus rate.  I also have a United account, AA, Jet Blue, and Emirates.  I use those so infrequently (meaning, I very rarely buy, I just award travel), that any small points that I get, I end up using towards purchases.  United and Emirates both let you buy stuff with miles (real stuff, not just magazines).  I got an iPod Nano and a universal USB charger from my last trip on Emirates.  

My only concern is if award rates shoot up after the AA/US Air merger.  I'm about 90% towards a business class round trip, and I am worried that I'll get f'd up over the merger.  

RIP Grand Slam.  Those were the days.  

Great point, footypjman, about the interest rate and paying up front every month.  Those sign up bonuses aren't worth it if you pay interest every month, or at least aren't as good as they sound.  I knew about the US Airways CC sign up bonus.  It was the best deal for a while, but I carry a 60% utilization and didn't want to chance a hard pull on a rejection.  I heard about those Vanilla cards too.  Haven't tried that one yet, but I did hear some chatter that Chase/Staples may pull it due to abuse, so you might want to load up now.  My latest miles endeavor was joining a wine club.  5k miles after the first two orders (monthly), then 5 miles/dollar thereafter.  Can quit any time.  First order is $42. for 6 bottles, second it closer to double.  I drink wine anyway and would spend at least that amount a month, so free miles as far as I'm concerned.  

With those two accounts, you may want to wait until US Airways does another transfer bonus.  The transfer fee made it like 1.29 cents/mile, which was even better than the 100% buy bonus rate.  I also have a United account, AA, Jet Blue, and Emirates.  I use those so infrequently (meaning, I very rarely buy, I just award travel), that any small points that I get, I end up using towards purchases.  United and Emirates both let you buy stuff with miles (real stuff, not just magazines).  I got an iPod Nano and a universal USB charger from my last trip on Emirates.  

My only concern is if award rates shoot up after the AA/US Air merger.  I'm about 90% towards a business class round trip, and I am worried that I'll get f'd up over the merger.  

RIP Grand Slam.  Those were the days.  

I got a Vanilla reload card, but it seems like a huge rip-off to me. WAY too many charge on it.  I plan to eat my losses and cash it out asap before fees start killing me.  I guess they were popular when sold at Office Depot, as you could reload them using credit card and get the bonus points, while hitting minimum spend.

Vanilla variable amount cards cards are pretty much dead.  I think Office Depot and Staples realized that people were buying too many of the variable amount cards ($500 card would cost $6.95, so $506.95 to get 2535 Chase UR points) and their profit margin is minimal.  Given the Staples deal, the bonus points and my Desire to hit a minimum spend, I picked up $800 worth this weekend  555555

Hopefully miles won't go up too much after AA merger -- I LOVE using AA miles for business and first class seats on Cathay to BKK (via Hong Kong) from LAX -- 67,500 each way for first class; 55,000 each way for business class.  You can book one way or RT using AA, where I think US Air requires RT travel.  Took advantage of that on my next trip, as I go over in first class, but come back in biz class....I wanna be well rested when I arrive!  

BTW, Cathay biz class seats are GREAT -- individual pods, so nobody trying to crawl over you to get to the bathroom.  I can't wait to try their first class service, which is supposed to be among the best in the World.  

Grand Slam was the best -- think I spent about $750, but I got over 100k US Air miles (plus the stupid crap I bought, like cookies, a "get well bear", a cooler to chill wine bottle, etc.).  I only had a couple of absolute wasteful things, like two 20 minute car rentals to close out my last level.

Ha!  20 minute car rentals!  I bet car rental places saw a lot of that back then.

Yes, US Airways does restrict to round trip only, so I'm stuck in a class both sides.  I wouldn't mind the flexibility to splurge on a one way first, or save some miles on a half-economy trip.  Personally, I would have taken the first class on the way home to make up for the fact that I'm flying home.  I always dread the return flight.  

Cathay kicks ass.  I wish they were in my program, as those business class seats are just as good if not better than some American carrier first class seats.  AA ran a 100% points bonus sale last month, but they maxed out at 45k purchase miles, so I think 90k was the total that one could buy.  I almost did it anyway, but wasn't sure how I'd get the extra points required for round trip business class.  Wondering if I could wait to the merger to see if I can use my US Airways miles towards Cathay, or just book ANA or United for my summer trip.  ANA's business class long haul product is pretty good.  Every seat has isle access without having to step over someone.  If I recall, they're just like Emirates A380 business class.  

I took United business first last trip.  Decent lie-flat seats, so long as you aren't in a middle seat on their 777's.  No privacy for the middle seats, and the middle seat armrests are tiny for business class.  Isle seats are the best.  Window was ok, but you have to step over someone if they are sleeping.  You don't have to deal with that on Cathay business.  What I really wanted to try was Singapore business class with those 36" wide seats.  Unfortunately, US Airways posted a notice on their updated Star Alliance Award Chart saying that Singapore is temporarily unavailable.  Same with Qatar and Lufthansa first.  Those are all the hi end luxury carriers, which is kind of a shitty move for US Airways.  Then again, a United round trip ticket is typically $6k to BKK from where I live.  A Singapore Airlines business class round trip is closer to $12k, so I guess it makes sense they are no longer available.  

- you can get some good miles bonuses with relatively little action/effort, but if you get fairly obsessed at it (as I am starting to do), tio can eat up a big chunk of time.  

Amen.  I am hopelessly obsessed with point hustling.  I get email notices from at least a dozen different point earning opportunities on a daily basis.  I am involved in three different survey companies.  I read three different point blogs (The Points Guy is my current favorite).  I look at every dollar I spend and wonder how I can turn it into points.  It is definitely a time consumer, but not wasted time.  I figure it is at least a little healthier than gambling or stocks, as I always get a return on my investment. 

I have raked in more miles than most and have always thought mileage is a bad way to spend your money, unless you just need a few to get the redemption you need. 

Sure double miles is better than not, however, once you have spent all that money the next hurdle is to redeem for business class ticket and actually find one for the dates that suits your plans.

Rarely will you find a ticket available at 120,000 miles unless you either book 11 months out or can book with a flexibility of +/- 3 weeks (coming and going).

I have raked in more miles than most and have always thought mileage is a bad way to spend your money, unless you just need a few to get the redemption you need. 

Sure double miles is better than not, however, once you have spent all that money the next hurdle is to redeem for business class ticket and actually find one for the dates that suits your plans.

Rarely will you find a ticket available at 120,000 miles unless you either book 11 months out or can book with a flexibility of +/- 3 weeks (coming and going).

I agree and disagree.  Yes, it is pretty tricky when it comes to actually cashing in and booking your flight.  However, if I can get a business class ticket for a third of the sticker price (or better), then I'm willing to make sacrifices when it comes to travel times/dates.  That being said, there are so many online tools to figure out itineraries, and with most partner groups, you have the freedom of picking legs on multiple carriers.  I don't think it is too hard to find the right trip.  I found my last trip in about 20 minutes of research.  Yes, you have to do the legwork, but no one said this is a cakewalk.  For those who can afford business without a hack, then it isn't as good a deal.  Personally, I'm willing to take the gamble.  

Amen.  I am hopelessly obsessed with point hustling.  I get email notices from at least a dozen different point earning opportunities on a daily basis.  I am involved in three different survey companies.  I read three different point blogs (The Points Guy is my current favorite).  I look at every dollar I spend and wonder how I can turn it into points.  It is definitely a time consumer, but not wasted time.  I figure it is at least a little healthier than gambling or stocks, as I always get a return on my investment. 

I read Points Guy.  I think my current favorites are One Mile at a Time and View from the Wing.  Also Million Mile Secrets and Mommy Points can have some helpful stuff, and I just started looking at Just Another Points Traveler and The Frequent Miler.  I check out Flyer Talk every now and then, but, in my opinion, the people who frequently post on there can be assholes if you ask a question that was asked 27 pages earlier in the thread.  No the friendliest bunch, and they can be extremely arrogant.

I generally try to scan the blogs over breakfast each day or at some other time when I want to take a break (like right about now!  LOL)

Mr.DK - if you're running into road blocks, consider the booking services (PointsPros.com + any number of others).  If they find you an acceptable seat, they charge around $150, but that's a drop in the bucket to get a business class or first class seat.  If you don't like what they find, you're not out anything.  I was lucky for my November trip -- booked it way in advance and was able to get acceptable dates/times and good seats on Cathay.

Points Guy is good reading. I don't obsess over points, but I use the system enough to try and cover my once a year trip to LOS, flying up front. I used to use Northwest as my main airline. So, I kind of inherited Delta. Flying over in a few weeks on Delta/Korean. For next year, I already have 100K of the 120K I'll need to get a Star Alliance award from United.

Fidelity Investments has a deal where you can get up to 50K miles each year by making deposits to your brokerage account. I'm sure its competitors have similar.

I know what you mean about some of the flyertalk posters. On the other hand, I have a sneaking suspicion there's quite a few mongers over there too, judging by the number of people using awards to go to BKK.

With the USAir - American Merger, is the new, combined company staying with the OneWorld Alliance?

With the USAir - American Merger, is the new, combined company staying with the OneWorld Alliance?

Rumor mill is saying OneWorld.  Less partners, but I'll be happy with BA and Cathay.  

Rumor mill is saying OneWorld.  Less partners, but I'll be happy with BA and Cathay.  

That's consistent with everything that I have read.

I LOVE Cathay for LAX-BKK, so it was good news to me, especially considering that I have United for Star Alliance (which keeps Thai, ANA, Singapore & Asiana in play for me)

Yea we are so lucky here in the USA with the credit card bonuses and ways to meet the spending through amazon payments. reload cards, etc.

It was so badass when I flew business all around the world wit the miles I got, getting into the aircraft first and avoiding the long econ lines = priceless

Yea we are so lucky here in the USA with the credit card bonuses and ways to meet the spending through amazon payments. reload cards, etc.

It was so badass when I flew business all around the world wit the miles I got, getting into the aircraft first and avoiding the long econ lines = priceless

Aside from flat beds, I think the priority services are my second favorite feature of business/first class travel.  There were a few airports with crazy security lines that wrapped back and forth to create an eight row zigzag line.  I just waltzed past it through the single, flowing priority security line.  It took 15 minutes, tops.  The other line hardly moved by the time I was putting my belt back on.  Priceless indeed.  Some airlines also get priority immigration too.  Cathay offers that at some hubs.  Lounges are ok, particularly ones with showers and nice booze, but you know what's better than a lounge?  Not having a crazy layover.  I'll pick tight transfers over long layovers any day.  

I will miss Star Alliance if post-merger AA does switch to OneWorld.  I actually like United for an American carrier, and Thai and ANA also come in particularly useful for BKK travel.  Cathay is awesome, but I have a feeling that they will be hard to book on award coming from the Northeast USA.  JAL is questionable at best, you know, catching fire and all.  I also heard that their 787 IFE systems have been on the blink.  Imagine a BOS to NRT direct with no IFE.  JAL can't catch a break.

BTW, the blogger "The Frequent Miler" is doing a self-challenge this month, trying to see if he can get 1 million miles/points in March without spending more than $1000 (the $1000 does not include the value of things purchased -- ex: a $500 GC purchased for $500 + $6.95 service fee would be $6.95 in spending; not $506.95).

Here's a link:  http://boardingarea.com/blogs/frequentmiler/

As for priority services, I have NEVER seen anything like Thai's ground service for first class passengers -- unbelievable!  From the minute you arrive at BKK for departure, they are taking care of you.  You sit in a comfortable chair at a table while the agents check you in.  They bring you your boarding pass, and an employee walks with you, handling your carry-on bag(s).  Seriously, I just had a laptop bag, but the guy insisted that he roll it!  Once thru security, there is a golf cart waiting at the base of the escalator that takes you directly to the doors of the first class lounge, where it's open bar and cooked-to-order items (not the typical lounge buffet).  They had these little chicken curry pastry puffs that were phenomenal!  When the flight is ready to board, they come to get you and the other first class passengers on your flight, walk you to the gate, past everyone sitting there and take you to the plane.  We boarded at a remote gate, but instead of taking the bus with the other passengers, a private mini-bus took us over and I think we were all on board and seated before the buses even loaded the other passengers.

When my incoming flight arrived at BKK, the service was similar (although no lounge) -- again, a golf cart met us at the gate, loaded me and one other first class passenger and drove us right to a special/dedicated security line for Thai's first class passengers.  Thai employees met each of us there (one employee for me; one for him), waited at baggage claim, got my bag and took it to the taxi driver who was waiting for me by door 3.  I think I had a Thai Air employee with me from the entire time that we landed until I was walking out of BKK with my taxi driver.

I decided right then that I REALLY need to be rich!  5555555

US Airways led by Doug Parker has long been a desperate, if not bottom feeding, company,

They tried to acquire Delta when Delta was in bankruptcy, it tried to buy a significant stake in United Airlines when it was in bankruptcy; now with American Airlines in that position US Airways is giving it another try.

The biggest problem with US Airways is its labor relation (union), the worst among US air carriers ... only second to American Airlines.

Should this merger mature it will be another reverse merger (like America West that acquired US Airways); however, without serious union concessions the combined company will struggle to survive.

About frequent flyer miles, history shows that they are safe. Last time a major airline went completely defunct and frequent flyers lost all their points was Eastern Airlines in 1991 (another union screw-up).

About airline alliances this is an event to monitor.

Should US and AA merge and the combined company remain AA as a member of OneWorld, then that alliance will stand a chance, however, if the combined company stays as US in Star Alliance the OneWorld will toast as it will have no US partners. In the latter case I'd see OneWorld merge with SkyTeam.

Even if there is no merger or if the combined company remain in OneWorld, I would not be surprised if OneWorld and SkyTeam become one larger alliance.

Archived