IGNORED

iballooka

I use it in middle of nowhere Brazil with no problems so I would have thought that there would be no issues in Thailand, quality may sometimes be a bit bad.

Edited by harryp

You must be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Sometimes easier said than done ~ Me and everyone I know

I use it in middle of nowhere Brazil with no problems so I would have thought that there would be no issues in Thailand, quality may sometimes be a bit bad.

The last time I was in Brazil they only had limited electric in "the middle" and telephones were counted on one hand in some areas, mind you it was over 30 years ago....

So there's hope for Pattaya, mind you getting our telephone and "broadband" installed is proving problematic, so now giving serious to taking a basket of homing pigeons...

Edited by iballooka

Works pretty good. I used it just last week, from the hotel on soi 8. In my business i need to stay connected most of the time. It is nice to be able to use it while anywhere, or almost anywhere. I dont think it works in Saudia Arabia.

Also, if you dont want to bring your laptop, you can get one of the new U-3 Enabled 1gb, 2gb, or 4gb memory sticks from SanDisk, and it has Skype loaded on it. You just plug into any usb port on an internet cafe desk top, and get yourself a head set, and you are good to go....

The last time I was in Brazil they only had limited electric in "the middle" and telephones were counted on one hand in some areas, mind you it was over 30 years ago....

So there's hope for Pattaya, mind you getting our telephone and "broadband" installed is proving problematic, so now giving serious to taking a basket of homing pigeons...

Not a lot has changed, the familty don`t have phones out here and to get tv they have a satellite dish. We erected a tower for internet to run our business from a farm house down a dirt track! If it works here, I'm sure that it will be ok in a metropolitan city like Pattaya :rolleyes:

You must be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Sometimes easier said than done ~ Me and everyone I know

I have been using it for a year here and found it to be good, sound is bad about 5% of the time and gives an echo but apart from that it's great!!

• 3 months later...

i am pretty new to skype, but am going to give it a shot here in Pattaya to compare against the quality of my Vonage 'softphone' as my current hotel only has wifi...

so, assuming one had access to the actual DSL router that my wifi is on, can anyone tell me what ports (if any) i might want to route inbound to my computer, and put into the QoS table? any info or tips would be most welcome friends..!

What it's like in Thailand I don't know, but I use it in the UK to call TGF every day and, frankly, it fucking stinks.

I'm not sure whether it's the Skype or her phone, to be honest - she's on Orange over there and it was shit. Went to Koh Lan and couldn't get a signal, whereas I was on DTAC and worked perfectly.

I try not to say too much about it, otherwise I'll be hit for a new phone.

On the plus side, it beats paying £1 a minute.

i am pretty new to skype, but am going to give it a shot here in Pattaya to compare against the quality of my Vonage 'softphone' as my current hotel only has wifi...

so, assuming one had access to the actual DSL router that my wifi is on, can anyone tell me what ports (if any) i might want to route inbound to my computer, and put into the QoS table? any info or tips would be most welcome friends..!

Skype uses

Port 80

Port 443 as TCP trigger

and a random port as UDP. So in reality you shouldn't need to forward any

Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita

If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0

Skype uses

Port 80

Port 443 as TCP trigger

and a random port as UDP. So in reality you shouldn't need to forward any

thx to you for your reply friend, since you do not voice any concern about port 443 i am assuming that MaxNet has been playing dirty w/ 443/HTTPS like they have been lately down in Phuket... for weeks my "premium" MaxNet account in Patong gave me all kinds of grief on 443... hell, port 22 too for f*cks sake. as a recent transplant i am crossing my fingers for anything better than what we've suffered through w/ MaxNet down there... nothing could be as bad, aside from... well, er... nothing..

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

use lowratevoip.com wayyyy better then skype.

You'll thank me lotz

I forgot, You can also get SIP account so if you have GPRS you can make cheap calls from ur cell too