IGNORED

can an iphone work in thailand?

foxracing

I'm from the u.s and would love to purchase an iphone which comes w/ the only provider or cingular/at&t which uses a sim card. I want to be able to go over in thailand and buy a new sim card and place in the iphone which seems like this would work. I asked the customer service rep and he told me no and wanted to sell me a world package that didn't even include thailand. So is it possible to have an iphone and have service to go along with it?

Www.learnkhmernow.com

I have the international plan with ATT and my phone worked fine. I had service as soon as I turned it on at the airport in BKK. However, I did not use it much because it is exspensive.

I have the international plan with ATT and my phone worked fine. I had service as soon as I turned it on at the airport in BKK. However, I did not use it much because it is exspensive.

Get it unlocked and buy a thai simcard then mate

I have one that was locked to ATT. Got it unlocked through an internet unlocking service. Now using it with AIS 1-2-Call in Thailand. PM me if you need more details.

BTW, I heard that you can buy unlocked iPhones at MBK in Bangkok, but they are very expensive. 28,000 baht is the number I heard. But I have not confirmed this.

Similarly, I have heard that they are selling for 1500 Singapore dollars in Singapore.

Edited by bigsmile

• 11 months later...

Well, I bought mine in Belgium for 615 EUR, which is about 25.000 THB. It is a lot of money, but compared to what you pay for your subscription to ATT over two years, it isn't so expensive.

By the way, it is unlocked, I can use a Thai Sim-card, and I get my updates from Apple for ever...

By the way, the most magical intrument that ever has been built. I can not imagine my life without it...

Use it for some days, and you want to keep it for ever.

บินวา

Just by a turbo sim from MBK 500baht stick it with any sim card and away you go!! Happy days and you wont mess with your warranty...

• 2 years later...

I tried using my Iphone without a new local sims card and it can be extraordinarily expensive. Keep on airplane mode and only use on local wi-fi in the hotel. I have a friend who was not careful with this, and he was $700 out of pocket on a two week trip.

I tried using my Iphone without a new local sims card and it can be extraordinarily expensive. Keep on airplane mode and only use on local wi-fi in the hotel. I have a friend who was not careful with this, and he was $700 out of pocket on a two week trip.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They just started selling unlocked iPhones 4s in the USA. Look for one of those.

3G Data Plans from TRUE MOVE.

Thanks for the link to this internet website.

I will not be topping up this way but there are other very very useful pages on there.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

ask your service provider for an unlock here in the uk they do it for free or next to nothing.but be aware with some providers it can take a week or 2 so make sure u get it done before your trip im with t mobile and did it on their website for free they do it by text message.its surprising how many people dont do this,also if you ever jailbreak your phone you never loose your unlock,good luck

• 5 weeks later...

Probably a silly question - but how do i know if the phone is carrier locked or not.

I have an iPhone 4 issued by my company

Probably a silly question - but how do i know if the phone is carrier locked or not.

I have an iPhone 4 issued by my company

1. Apple website: Click !

2. Ask you company/colleagues

3. Test sim-card provided by different carrier (might be tricky because of micro-sim)

Other than options above, i don't know any other ways to find out if it's locked or unlocked

• 3 weeks later...

Great tips guys I've got ab I phone 4 which I will get unlocked in uk and use for Skype home etc + I will buy cheap used mobile in LOS

You can check if your iPhone is unlocked via the model number - it will identify the model and carrier state. Basically, Google for the model number. It's under SETTINGS -> ABOUT

I originally bought my iPhone 4 in Hong Kong (fully unlocked) and just swap a SIM into it when I'm in Thailand. I use the TRUEmove InterSIM, because I found it to be the most convenient (at the time, TRUE were the only one with reliable 3G service).

I still found TRUE to provide the best service. Just pick up a SIM and call customer service to activate whatever plan you want - they have a great 3G plan for around 600 Baht for "unlimited" 3G over 30 days.

I used my unlocked iphone 4 in Thailand and man did it go through the downloads, I had it set to not do that but I hear iphones like to keep on top of their game and keep updating themselves. I had to keep topping it up all the time, they can be very expensive if not on the right plan etc.

just jail break it and unlock it during the jail breaking process, simples :Chokdee3:

Posted Image

Apple sells directly unlocked iphones. The other alternative is to get your current iphone unlocked. There is a small, small chance you can brick it in the process though.

• 4 weeks later...

Jailbreaking and unlocking will result in instabilities and various functions not working any more. I strongly suggest just buying an unlocked iPhone in Thailand - if you have a locked iPhone, sell it at MBK, and pay the difference to get a legit unlocked one.

I used my unlocked iphone 4 in Thailand and man did it go through the downloads, I had it set to not do that but I hear iphones like to keep on top of their game and keep updating themselves. I had to keep topping it up all the time, they can be very expensive if not on the right plan etc.

You can get a monthly plan ("unlimited") for about 600 Baht, or you can get daily unlimited plans for around 50 Baht. Get the monthly plan, if you're there more than a week.

Most carriers offer these, but I prefer TRUE - mostly because they actually provide 3G service in a wider area.