IGNORED

Currency Exchange Rate

Not sure why this thread is pinned, last Octobers rates were bad enough but today you are looking at 48 baht for 1 British £ !!!!!!

I can't believe I was getting over 70 to a £ When I first started coming! Thats a hell of a difference for me for my hols but the expats on a pension must be feeling the pinch badly!

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

The pound is taking a right kicking recently.

Hopefully improves for my next trip in July.

Since Dec 09 the pound has gone down 6.5 baht, a decrease of 13%. If this trend continues the pound will be worth slightly less than 50% of its value over the course of a year from Dec 09 to Dec 10. A 1000 baht bar girl will then cost 40 quid instead of 20 and a 3000 baht gogo girl will be 120 quid instead of 60 quid. Be concerned, be very concerned. They do say Bulgaria is nice and relaxing for a holiday. Let's hope our economic genious Flash Gordon can come up with one of his miracles pretty soon or a holiday in the LOS will be beyond the reach of most of us in the very near future!

• 1 month later...

The Aussie dollar has dropped slightly since it reached its historical high of $A/31.50 Baht. It is very surprised after a few interest rate rises for the pass 12 months. It is currently traveling at about $A/30Baht. It is predicted there is another interest rise in May (next month). Coupling with the political turmoil in BKK, the exchange rate should move in flavor of $A next month. It may reach 31 Baht again. Shall I wait to change my A$ until May??

The Aussie dollar has dropped slightly since it reached its historical high of $A/31.50 Baht. It is very surprised after a few interest rate rises for the pass 12 months. It is currently traveling at about $A/30Baht. It is predicted there is another interest rise in May (next month). Coupling with the political turmoil in BKK, the exchange rate should move in flavor of $A next month. It may reach 31 Baht again. Shall I wait to change my A$ until May??

Why not bring AUD and exchange when you get to Thailand? There's no guarantee that the exchange rate will improve between now and then, but you'll surely get better exchange rates if you buy your baht in Thailand than you will if you buy your baht in Australia.

..................I can't believe I was getting over 70 to a £ When I first started coming! Thats a hell of a difference for me for my hols but the expats on a pension must be feeling the pinch badly!

I cry.......

There have to be cut backs for some of us.

Aside from the necessities of accomm', food and drink, there's one obvious area for economies and Isaan may be feeling the pinch.

Even on the minor issues, eg tips, the almost obligatory 20 baht tip has become questionable, especially for only one or two drinks.

I don't suppose we'll know where the GBP is going until after the Election. Couple that with what's going on here and what may happen soon, nobody can make any reliable predictions for the GBP exchange rate.

Grit your teeth for a bumpy ride - and some of us may not be strapped in.

Edited by The Edge

Its 32.18 for the US $. All Western currencies are going downhill.

• 1 month later...

Live rates at 2010.05.18 15:48:09 UTC

10.00 EUR = 399.513 THB

Euro Thailand Baht

1 EUR = 39.9513 THB 1 THB = 0.0250305 EUR

wtf is this shit all about where have the days of 1=60 thb gone

Live rates at 2010.05.18 15:48:09 UTC

10.00 EUR = 399.513 THB

Euro Thailand Baht

1 EUR = 39.9513 THB 1 THB = 0.0250305 EUR

wtf is this shit all about where have the days of 1=60 thb gone

The goodtimes have gone, if you missed out, sorry. I cannot see the £ going above 50bt for a few years now, Labour have been lying about the economy for years, now it has all come out. The £ has been devalued all over the world, the Euro is also in melt down after Greece crisis. The Thai economy is strong, exports up, no NHS, no social security burden, in fact tourism is only 7% of their income, so not there many priority.

It has been 9 good years, but it is over. I have just come home from Patts, it is very quiet indeed. You just have to change your attitude, I have mates who live in Jomtien, they now drink at Happy Hour bars for 45bt, tips have been cut cut right back, it became expected the norm! Just look at service you get now, would you give a 50p tip after 2 pints in the UK, I dont think so. I only tip, if service is good and I spend an evening there.

Its not cheap anymore, but still a fantastic place, you just need to rethink your spending plans.

Do you need:

hotel at 1500bt a night or an appartment at 600bt a night

GoGo girl at 2000bt ST or bargirl at 500bt ST

More shirts than you possibly ever wear.

Thais have a strange outlook, if trade is slow, put the price up. You can still have a great time, just venture out from old haunts your used to. Try the darkside, a totally different pricing and some great girls to be found.

The goodtimes have gone, if you missed out, sorry. I cannot see the £ going above 50bt for a few years now, Labour have been lying about the economy for years, now it has all come out. The £ has been devalued all over the world, the Euro is also in melt down after Greece crisis. The Thai economy is strong, exports up, no NHS, no social security burden, in fact tourism is only 7% of their income, so not there many priority.

It has been 9 good years, but it is over. I have just come home from Patts, it is very quiet indeed. You just have to change your attitude, I have mates who live in Jomtien, they now drink at Happy Hour bars for 45bt, tips have been cut cut right back, it became expected the norm! Just look at service you get now, would you give a 50p tip after 2 pints in the UK, I dont think so. I only tip, if service is good and I spend an evening there.

Its not cheap anymore, but still a fantastic place, you just need to rethink your spending plans.

Do you need:

Hotel at 1500bt a night or an appartment at 600bt a night

Thais have a strange outlook, if trade is slow, put the price up. You can still have a great time, just venture out from old haunts your used to. Try the darkside, a totally different pricing and some great girls to be found.

I was in Patts a few weeks ago for a 10 nights trip and spent £2500 and that didnt include the flight at £500. it is way too expensive now, or from now on I need to change what I do out there.Alot of habits need to change when I go again.

The Thai baht is too strong and it is this that makes me not go again in October and not the fighting with the red shirts.

Do you need:

Hotel at 1500bt a night or an appartment at 600bt a night

Sad but true!

First time I went to Thailand I got 70b to a £ :GoldenSmile1:

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

when i last went i changed sum cash at bkk airport ,, the bht was 51.6 or sumthing ,, wheni got to pattaya it never rose above 48 :( bad times .... so if u see a good rate at bkk go 4 it chances are it will be better than pattaya ....

The pound is certainly very weak right now, I have just up’ed the money I am taking to on next trip by £500 a week to ensure I can continue to do all the things that I want with the minimum of fuss.

It’s been an ‘interesting’ few months watching the rates, when I booked it was 53ish B to the pound and I budgeted that the rate would be around 50B to the pound for this trip - however it looks reasonable that the pound will slip below 45B for the duration of my trip in June/July hence the extra money.

Personally I am beginning to question if my planned fourth trip over the Xmas period this year is such a good investment. I have joined the PI Addicts site and I like the look of AC and might well book there for an Xmas trip. Thailand (by which I mean Pattaya) is starting to look a little over priced for what you actually get for your money and whilst I don’t believe in obsessively counting costs neither do I believe in wasting money when there are other places to see and explore.

I personally believe that a rate of less than 42B to the pound makes Pattaya uneconomical, the only advantage to having such a low pound rate is it will weed most of the British chav’s out of going!

Edited by The Storm

I'm really starting too hate the fucking euro!

My trip will be 20% more expensive then the last one! :Censored:

:GoldenSmile1: on the way up guysPound Sterling 47.40 47.54625 48.17625 GBP 46.96 48.70

nice one better than 45 :001_Sawasdee:

cheers chris

Wriggley Tin 1

I was in Patts a few weeks ago for a 10 nights trip and spent £2500 and that didnt include the flight at £500. it is way too expensive now, or from now on I need to change what I do out there.Alot of habits need to change when I go again.

The Thai baht is too strong and it is this that makes me not go again in October and not the fighting with the red shirts.

14000B per day is quite extravagant. Most 2 week millionaires spent 5000B, I spend that rarely. Unless you are having 3/4 somes with gogo girls, there are many ways to make savings, which you should explore.

Sad but true!

First time I went to Thailand I got 70b to a £ :Cry4:

First time I went I got 47B; it's all relative! I'll be (grudgingly) happy the rate holds it's current value.

:GoldenSmile1: on the way up guysPound Sterling 47.40 47.54625 48.17625 GBP 46.96 48.70

nice one better than 45 :001_Sawasdee:

cheers chris

Just had a peek at the rates in lieu of my upcoming trip in 2 weeks.

Bangkok Bank 47.3B

Kasikorn 47.0B

These 2 consistently give the best rates for the pound. There's a TMB exchange in the condo complex I'll be staying in, which unfortunately consistently gives the worst rate, currently 46.3B. :Cheers9:

Peace to all men. :)

Edited by El Cata
sgu_banner.gif

14000B per day is quite extravagant. Most 2 week millionaires spent 5000B, I spend that rarely. Unless you are having 3/4 somes with gogo girls, there are many ways to make savings, which you should explore.

First time I went I got 47B; it's all relative! I'll be (grudgingly) happy the rate holds it's current value.

Just had a peek at the rates in lieu of my upcoming trip in 2 weeks.

Bangkok Bank 47.3B

Kasikorn 47.0B

These 2 consistently give the best rates for the pound. There's a TMB exchange in the condo complex I'll be staying in, which unfortunately consistently gives the worst rate, currently 46.3B. :Cheers9:

Peace to all men. :001_Sawasdee:

:GoldenSmile1: This was from krung thai bank

chris :)

Wriggley Tin 1

11th June 2004, my first visit to Thailand - 73.41 to the £

Today - 46.98

Insanity.gif

RULES

1NQq.gif

• 3 weeks later...

'up' to 48 today, woo hoo

RULES

1NQq.gif

I'm flying to Thailand on the 24th of next month. It would be great if it could get above 50 to the £ when I fly out but I have a funny feeling it might be around the 48 baht to the £

I'm flying to Thailand on the 24th of next month. It would be great if it could get above 50 to the £ when I fly out but I have a funny feeling it might be around the 48 baht to the £

good luck Blue, have fun

good luck Blue, have fun

Thanks Mike

Whatever the exchange rate is I will still have lots of fun

Looks like the Euro still in freefall.

The good news is the good old £ is starting to move up, perhaps the budget last week helped. If you watch the £ to US dollar, if the £ gains against dollar, it also gains against the baht.

They must be linked somehow.