IGNORED

Best new car buys in LOS

The Sly Fox

Considering purchasing a new car in the near future, so very interested in what you guys think are the best new car buys at the moment. What are the cheapest new cars that are good?

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

Dacia Sandero?

Sorry, top gear joke! What sort of car do you need? Pick ups seem to be the number 1 choice there.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

You need to be bit more clear about size and purpose, style, auto/manual, diesel or ULP. So many variable to play with.

Then there is personal choice of Honda vs Toyota vs Mazda and others.

Well price is a big factor, so what are considered the best buys at the bottom end of the market? Say around 400,000 - 500,000 Baht.

As for purpose, well I drive around Thailand a lot, don't need to carry a lot of people or anything large & heavy. Auto would be better but I drive a manual at the present.

I hear Isuzu & Toyota are popular with Thais, I like Nissan, had a couple and they are good, Honda good too but more expensive.

I'm not at all decided on anything at all at the moment, would just like to hear opinions from different folk on this forum.

Also interested in opinions about deisel Vs gassohol Vs LPG.

I get the point in what you are asking about. I think you will still have to do the leg work and make the decision yourself. One thing I would mention to you is, are you able to register the vehicle in your name or only a thai nationals name??????????. Will it be a cash purchase?? Do you live in Thailand?? and what is the real purpose of the vehicle?? Do you really need to purchase a brand new vehicle??

Maybe I am being a sticky beak but just interested to know.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Well price is a big factor, so what are considered the best buys at the bottom end of the market? Say around 400,000 - 500,000 Baht.

As for purpose, well I drive around Thailand a lot, don't need to carry a lot of people or anything large & heavy. Auto would be better but I drive a manual at the present.

I hear Isuzu & Toyota are popular with Thais, I like Nissan, had a couple and they are good, Honda good too but more expensive.

I'm not at all decided on anything at all at the moment, would just like to hear opinions from different folk on this forum.

If you are looking at the bottom end of the market and don't require much space take a look at the Nissan March and Honda Brio. Unfortunately they don't seem to make any small diesel cars for the Thai market. Diesel has a higher energy density and is cheaper than gasohol so a small turbo diesel would be ideal here. You can get factory fitted CNG vehicles here but not at the bottom end. CNG would be the cheapest fuel in terms of Baht per kilometre but most CNG vehicles have a range of less than 200km, fill ups are slow and CNG stations usually have big queues. LPG will give a much better range for the same size tank but will cost more per kilometre than CNG. You may be able to fit a LPG doughnut tank in a March or Brio but they don't have enough space for a conventional cylinder tank.

I get the point in what you are asking about. I think you will still have to do the leg work and make the decision yourself. One thing I would mention to you is, are you able to register the vehicle in your name or only a thai nationals name??????????. Will it be a cash purchase?? Do you live in Thailand?? and what is the real purpose of the vehicle?? Do you really need to purchase a brand new vehicle??

Sure I'll be making the final decision myself but before deciding I'm just fishing around for info/ideas. I don't know much about cars/mecanics so I'll take everything onboard.

Yes, I'll register in my name. My current car (on its last legs) is in my name (wouldn't have it any other way)

Yes, cash for sure. Only way to go IMO.

Yes, live in Thailand.

Purpose? Touring mostly. I like to drive around Thailand, been from top to bottom a few times.

No, don't really need a brand new vehicle but I'm a bit dubious of 2nd hand cars in Thailand. In general I don't think Thais really look after cars. And as I already said I don't know much about mechanics, so I'm worried about ending up with a lemon.

I think the best saloon style car for the money now is the Nissan Almera, bigger than a Jazz, small engine fule efficient,4 door looks nice and starts about 430,000 brand new, I had a Nissa Teana for 6 years and apart from 2 x front shocks and 2 x batteries never gave me a bit of trouble,

I like Nissan good cars, but just my opinion, worth a look

Posted Image

If you are looking at the bottom end of the market and don't require much space take a look at the Nissan March and Honda Brio. Unfortunately they don't seem to make any small diesel cars for the Thai market. Diesel has a higher energy density and is cheaper than gasohol so a small turbo diesel would be ideal here. You can get factory fitted CNG vehicles here but not at the bottom end. CNG would be the cheapest fuel in terms of Baht per kilometre but most CNG vehicles have a range of less than 200km, fill ups are slow and CNG stations usually have big queues. LPG will give a much better range for the same size tank but will cost more per kilometre than CNG. You may be able to fit a LPG doughnut tank in a March or Brio but they don't have enough space for a conventional cylinder tank.

Many thanks gogo dog, I appreciate your info. I see the March sells around 380,000-430,000 and the Brio 430,000 - 500,000.

I read recently the cheapest new car in LOS is a Chinese car, can't recall the make right now but it sells around 300,000.

I've been told diesel engines are best, cheaper fuel and longer lasting, Do you have any recommendations at the lower price end of diesel vehicles?

I think the best saloon style car for the money now is the Nissan Almera, bigger than a Jazz, small engine fule efficient,4 door looks nice and starts about 430,000 brand new, I had a Nissa Teana for 6 years and apart from 2 x front shocks and 2 x batteries never gave me a bit of trouble,

I like Nissan good cars, but just my opinion, worth a look

Agree, my current car is Nissan and I had a very good run out of it. Still going but getting towards the end of its life now. I've had that car for 6 years too and like yourself just a couple of batteries and a couple changes of tires, only minor repairs to things like AC & radiator & brake pads. Nothing at all with engine/gearbox.

Many thanks properperson. I read the linked review and it sounds well worth having a closer look at. Yesterday I checked out the Nissan March, so today I'll have a look at the Brio. Thanks again.

I think the best value for money small car is the Honda Brio......

Honda 4 cyl 1200cc i V Tech engine (same as Jazz), CVT auto box, Honda reliability, Honda build quality, Honda re-sale value.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/honda/honda-brio-2011-road-test/

attachicon.gifG car 016.jpg

Looks nice, how much new?

Posted Image

Looks nice, how much new?

Bought my Missus one a few months ago, and she is very happy with it! I found it to be very nippy and great fun to drive! It's classed as an ECO car and do 20km per litre (She averages around 15 but drives it hard and it's an Auto) There about 500k on the road...

Honda Brio.jpg

If I decided to get a 2nd hand car instead of a new model, does anybody know of a place where I could take a vehicle and have a complete and honest check done on it first, preferably with a written report?

If I decided to get a 2nd hand car instead of a new model, does anybody know of a place where I could take a vehicle and have a complete and honest check done on it first, preferably with a written report?

I would never look at a second hand car for the reasons you have mentioned. Also many are adverting "old wrecks" with 100k on the clock for 300,000 baht +.  Why bother when you can get a nice new Honda Brio or Mitsubhisi Mirage for under 450,000.

Buy a pick-up, more useful, low price due to tax break, easy for resale.

Yes I am swinging towards a pickup, I've looked at a few of the small cheap sedans and while the prices are OK the small size does concern me a little, I'm a fairly large fellow. Also I been told the diesel pickups are cheaper to run and last so much longer.

Any idea what the bottom price is I could get a new pickup? And what's the tax break? Is this something you have to apply for?

Yes I am swinging towards a pickup, I've looked at a few of the small cheap sedans and while the prices are OK the small size does concern me a little, I'm a fairly large fellow. Also I been told the diesel pickups are cheaper to run and last so much longer.

Any idea what the bottom price is I could get a new pickup? And what's the tax break? Is this something you have to apply for?

Pickups start at around B500,000 for a basic two seater. A top of the range four seater with auto & 4WD will be around B1,000,000. The 4 seat trucks attract much more tax than the 2 seaters.

Pickups start at around B500,000 for a basic two seater. A top of the range four seater with auto & 4WD will be around B1,000,000. The 4 seat trucks attract much more tax than the 2 seaters.

OK many thanks, that's in my price range, so I'll start looking at the basic 2-seater pickups. I think the larger sturdier vehicle, plus the diesel engine, would be more suitable for me. Manual's ok with me, don't really need 4WD, or that extra seat. Just as long as its got AC + music I'll be happy.

Bought my Missus one a few months ago, and she is very happy with it! I found it to be very nippy and great fun to drive! It's classed as an ECO car and do 20km per litre (She averages around 15 but drives it hard and it's an Auto) There about 500k on the road...

attachicon.gifHonda Brio.jpg

Thanks, looks nice like the wheels

Posted Image

Came across this current info on another expat site. I hope I'm not breaking any forum policy by cutting & pasting it here. If so please forgive me and delete it. But it seems the poster knows his stuff. So I wondering if you agree with what's said here and which vehicle you would consider the best buy.

Micro trucks:

DFM Truck 1.1L LPG - 289K

DFM Truck 1.3L LPG - 339K

TATA Ace 1.4L Diesel - 356K

Suzuki Carry 1.6L Benzene - 396K

Pickups:

Mitsu Triton 2.4L Benzene - 433K

Mitsu Triton 2.5L Diesel - 495K

TATA Xenon 2.2L Diesel - 499K

Toyota Hilux 2.5L Diesel - 507K

Nissan Navara 2.5L Diesel  - 510K

Isuzu D-Max Spark 2.5L Diesel - 513K

Out of that list, I would personally eliminate the Benzene Triton and the TATA off-hand - from there it becomes a question of what's most important to you, as each have their strengths.

Triton Diesel - nicest interior, 128HP engine is solid, tray a little smaller than others here.

Hilux - weak engine (120HP) and aging, but huge dealer network (~400) and great residual value.

Navara - strongest engine (144HP) and biggest tray, but thirstier than others here.

D-Max - weakest engine (115HP) but best fuel economy. Newest design in this price range, huge dealer network, engine lasts forever.

If I was going to be hauling a full ton all the time, or spend the bulk of my driving in the mountains (but not doing huge KM's) it'd be the Navara.

If I was going to be travelling in the provinces regularly and minimizing down-time was my primary concern, it'd be the Hilux.

If I was going to do monster KM's, or ride quality was the primary criteria, it'd be the D-Max.

If I was looking for the best deal, and a general all-rounder, it'd be the Triton.

The Navara is a great truck at this price, but it's thirsty at ~13KM/L - which is why it lacks popularity with fleet buyers. The Isuzu will do 15-16KM/L (unladen), and the others all somewhere between these extremes.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe (from quotes I've received) that the insurance on a four door pick-up is less than a two door pick-up although cost price is more. The reason for this my broker explained is that the latter are used more for commercial purposes and are worked long and hard.

Live for the moment. Tomorrow may not come.

I believe (from quotes I've received) that the insurance on a four door pick-up is less than a two door pick-up although cost price is more. The reason for this my broker explained is that the latter are used more for commercial purposes and are worked long and hard.

Yes that sounds like it's highly possible.

Just in case anyone's interested I had my present car repaired last week. What I thought was motor on the way out was actually clutch on the way out. So I had a new clutch put in, cost was 3000 Bt. The mechanic said the motor is good and has lots of life left in it.

As the bodywork was very rough, I got a quote of 25,000 Bt to completely repair & respray the exterior. My car is at the panelbeaters/painters shop now and will be finished in about 3 weeks.

So rather than spend 400,000 - 500,000 Bt on a new car, I decided to spend under 30,000 Bt and jazz up my old one.

If you pay cash and live in Thailand you can register a car (or motorbike) in your name, You will need a Residence Certificate from Immigration.

Archived