huahinmatt

Which golf society

Scuba+

Old thread i know but i think when choosing a golf group its best to try different bars to see which one or more you like. Some groups are mixed, some heavy Americans, some heavy Canadians, people often congregate to the same nationality.

Birdieboy

i hear there is a new golf society starting around the 1st of the year out of access inn on third road...great group of guys so if you are looking for something new to try out should be fun, I know they will accept anyone to play and would never turn anyone down but i believe they are trying to cater it to the single digit handicap crowd. Another perk is they are not looking to make money off the deal so seems very fair in terms of price

bossofzip

i hear there is a new golf society starting around the 1st of the year out of access inn on third road...great group of guys so if you are looking for something new to try out should be fun, I know they will accept anyone to play and would never turn anyone down but i believe they are trying to cater it to the single digit handicap crowd. Another perk is they are not looking to make money off the deal so seems very fair in terms of price

and where did you "hear" all that ?

roderick

In rough terms, how much would a day on a golf  course cost, and how much more should I set aside for after  hacking enterainment  ??

LOTTELLEE WINNA

If, as a visitor to Pattaya, you had to choose 1 course to play, for me it would be Khao Kheow.  It is a Dye design course & you can see similarities between KK & several of the courses the PGA Tour plays with his design, including an island green on the B course.  The view from the clubhouse is quite good, looking out over the course, as is from B9 tee to the clubhouse with the Mountain in the background.  There are different tees for you & your fellow players to use, dependent on your skill level, maybe the whites would suit you best.  It is not your every day course you could play in Australia, which both Phoenix & Green Valley are, nothing memorable or distinctive there. 

As far as golf groups go, there are many to choose from, some, shall we say, are more profit driven than others, but all pretty much fill the needs of the holiday golfer.

Enjoy

Lots of terrific courses, but (of the medium price courses) Khao Kheow would be my favorite too, closely followed by Bangphra.

iron

yes indeed a lot of the golf  societys are profit driven, if you are on vacation for a couple of weeks it can get expensive, so choose carefully,GOLDEN FERRET is cheap and cheerful, nice bunch of lads play from there too.imho

irishstu007

yes indeed a lot of the golf  societys are profit driven, if you are on vacation for a couple of weeks it can get expensive, so choose carefully,GOLDEN FERRET is cheap and cheerful, nice bunch of lads play from there too.imho

Other than the tour groups, I cannot think of any other groups/societies that are fundamentally profit driven. Most golf bars / organisers hope a high percentage of their golfers will spend some money in their bars on food or drink or both; but it isn't compulsory. Most provide a good service in organising golf days with heavily discounted green fees.

Edited by irishstu007

bossofzip

Other than the tour groups, I cannot think of any other groups/societies that are fundamentally profit driven. Most golf bars / organisers hope a high percentage of their golfers will spend some money in their bars on food or drink or both; but it isn't compulsory. Most provide a good service in organising golf days with heavily discounted green fees.

Oh  please !!

The bars that are taking "administration fees" from the prize pool these days is very much on the rise.

I have no problem with this practice if it is clearly notified to golfers & they can choose to select , or not , to play with those groups .

There are less & less noble souls doing the organising for the sake of golf these days ,  although some espouse the high road , it's all about the $$$s

irishstu007

Oh  please !!

The bars that are taking "administration fees" from the prize pool these days is very much on the rise.

I have no problem with this practice if it is clearly notified to golfers & they can choose to select , or not , to play with those groups .

There are less & less noble souls doing the organising for the sake of golf these days ,  although some espouse the high road , it's all about the $$$s

Name and shame then.

speedtoy

I just wanna go hack for a day, I swing a club maybe every 5-10yrs.

What club/etc would be good for a guy that needs to rent all he needs, and end up with a day with a nice caddy, and lots of fun for the day?

BogeyPro

I just wanna go hack for a day, I swing a club maybe every 5-10yrs.

What club/etc would be good for a guy that needs to rent all he needs, and end up with a day with a nice caddy, and lots of fun for the day?

I would recommend talking to Paul Carpenter ([email protected]) who runs the golf operations at Retox Bar on Soi Honey.  He does a fantastic job, and I believe he also has a clubs for hire.  Retox Bar is non-competitive golf, so it would best suit you.  No guarantees on the caddy, you pretty much get what they give you at the course.  

But fair warning..they (the caddies) and your playing partners won't have much patience for your hacking around, if that is indeed what happens.  Maybe sharpen those golf skills a bit before stepping out?

maxtroy

In rough terms, how much would a day on a golf  course cost, and how much more should I set aside for after  hacking enterainment  ??

Golf (Walking) - Varies from  $700 baht to thousands of baht depending on course .

Caddy fee -  Navy course is $250 baht but most courses are $350 baht.

Caddy tip - Up to you but the standard seems to be  $300 baht .

Caddy drink -  $20 or 30 baht . Some people just give caddy $50 baht to buy their own drinks .

Buggy Fee - A couple of courses allow sharing but most do not - 600 baht (not sharing).

Transportation to course - $250 baht

Competition Fee - $200 to $250 .

Some courses offer specials for golf, caddy , buggy for around $1200 baht .

Cheapest I have seen was  $1250 (golf ,buggy , caddy) $300 caddy tip , $50 baht for caddy drinks , $250 transport , $200 competition =  $2050 baht   or $58 US.

Of course it goes up from there but that gives you an idea of what to budget for .  There are more variables to consider like how organized the group is especially when you get to the golf course . Do they provide comfortable transport or pack people into small thai vans .  Is their a membership fee such as required for PSC or IPGC golf organizations in Pattaya . 

For non competition I would suggest Le Katai on Soi Lengkee just off Soi Buakhao.

For competition I would suggest The Haven (IPGC membership $750 baht for 2 years) it is  also located on Soi Lengkee . For a short time stay The Haven has the advantage of you being able to phone in prior to 08:00 a.m on the day you want to play and they will accommodate you . Some golf bars want you to sign up a day in advance . Haven competiton fee is only 200 baht . On return to the bar the coordinator buys you your first beer . Good value .

maxtroy

Oh  please !!

LOL. Profit driven ???  So negotiating better rates for members , scheduling and organizing playing groups , arranging transportation to the course ,  in many cases updating and maintaining handicaps , answering phone calls and emails , dealing with complaints , paying for phones and computers and websites to support the golf activity all for , if they are lucky $50 baht per player is your idea of profit driven . Laughable .

Plain and simple the golf is a means for bars to get blokes to spend money in their establishments . What's disappointing  is the lack of support some of these bars receive when the real cheap charlies leave right after presentation to go down the street to another bar where they can save $5 baht on a beer.

Scuba+

What's disappointing is the lack of support some of these bars receive when the real cheap charlies leave right after presentation to go down the street to another bar where they can save $5 baht on a beer.

That may be true for some, but a change of scenery is also good plus with 1000s of bars and gogos available in Pattaya why would you stay in one bar all night? Plus some of us don't stay in bars all night.

BogeyPro

What's disappointing  is the lack of support some of these bars receive when the real cheap charlies leave right after presentation to go down the street to another bar where they can save $5 baht on a beer.

Look, some of these golf societies make you wait for hours before the presentation is made, the sole reason so that you can order beers from the bar.   Isn't that enough loyalty and support shown already?

When you have been with the same bunch of guys all day long, from early morning until well after the sun goes down, don't you want a change of scenery?  

fatjack1

I notice one issue isn't discussed in this thread.  Different bars are suggested but most of them want you to be a member of one of the main golf handicap groups in Pattaya to be part of the competition.  There are two main ones I am aware of.

Pattaya Sports Club - PSC uses the USGA system of handicapping.  There is a fee to join of course and they keep your handicap.  After some number of scores you are in.

International Pattaya Golf C??? - forget what the C stands for.   :GoldenSmile1:   This group uses the Congu system of handicapping.  Also a fee to join.  Many of the bars that are part of IPGC will not allow you to enter their comps without an IPGC membership.  And no they will not accept a PSC handicap.  Rumors are the two groups are beginning to feel love for each other but last I heard I could not enter IPGC comps.

The point of the above is unless you wish to join both organizations you need to determine which bars belong to which group to participate in the comps.  Some bars don't care.  Some do.  Personally I belong to PSC but in the past I was a founding member of IPGC.  I have no fight with anyone.  I just don't want two handicaps.  Lots of good guys playing in both systems.  Best thing to do is look up the websites of the organizations and find the list of bars that are members and choose one or the other for a 1 month visit.

Scuba+

I notice one issue isn't discussed in this thread. Different bars are suggested but most of them want you to be a member of one of the main golf handicap groups in Pattaya to be part of the competition. There are two main ones I am aware of.

Pattaya Sports Club - PSC uses the USGA system of handicapping. There is a fee to join of course and they keep your handicap. After some number of scores you are in.

International Pattaya Golf C??? - forget what the C stands for. :GoldenSmile1: This group uses the Congu system of handicapping. Also a fee to join. Many of the bars that are part of IPGC will not allow you to enter their comps without an IPGC membership. And no they will not accept a PSC handicap. Rumors are the two groups are beginning to feel love for each other but last I heard I could not enter IPGC comps.

The point of the above is unless you wish to join both organizations you need to determine which bars belong to which group to participate in the comps. Some bars don't care. Some do. Personally I belong to PSC but in the past I was a founding member of IPGC. I have no fight with anyone. I just don't want two handicaps. Lots of good guys playing in both systems. Best thing to do is look up the websites of the organizations and find the list of bars that are members and choose one or the other for a 1 month visit.

I have both IPGC and PSC handicaps difference of 1 except with slope usually adds another 1 on to PSC. Without having a PSC handicap I'd be at a 2 shot disadvantage on some courses. I thought if you can't beat them join them so joined PSC.

The 2 handicap systems don't mix well so you are best having the right handicap for the group you intend to play with.

MFKS

Look, some of these golf societies make you wait for hours before the presentation is made, the sole reason so that you can order beers from the bar. Isn't that enough loyalty and support shown already?

When you have been with the same bunch of guys all day long, from early morning until well after the sun goes down, don't you want a change of scenery?

One of the main reasons I am seriously considering leaving the club's at home next trip is the time taken with a day out with a golf society

Besides the need for an early night before a golf day impacting on night time activities

You are up 7/8 am and down the bar. Wait around for pick up and have a feed while you there

Then your out at the course and a lot of time you not back to Pattaya until 3/4/5pm

Then more waiting around for presentation

Before you know it a large part of your say is gone

Not knocking the Golf Societies trying to keep people in the bars spending cash but being I only have a little bit of time in Pattaya I pretty keen to go mongering after golf

It almost like Mongering and Golf tend to clash too much for me.

Edited by MFKS

LOTTELLEE WINNA

One of the main reasons I am seriously considering leaving the club's at home next trip is the time taken with a day out with a golf society

Besides the need for an early night before a golf day impacting on night time activities

You are up 7/8 am and down the bar. Wait around for pick up and have a feed while you there

Then your out at the course and a lot of time you not back to Pattaya until 3/4/5pm

Not knocking the Golf Societies trying to keep people in the bars spending cash but being I only have a little bit of time in Pattaya I pretty keen to go mongering after golf

Thaigerline golf brings the golfer straight home to soi choiapoon - no bar stop off!

Joethescot

I have only been to Pattaya once last year in August and found played golf three times a week with the golf club in LK Metro. I found it well organised and easy to get involved with for my 1st trip. I found that this issue with hanging around waiting on presentations didn't really occur it was done with in an hour of everyone getting back in the two vans we used.

I learnt a lot about how to sort out my mongering alongside the golf and will use this for my trip in May. I never went mad the night before the golf so did my mongering in the afternoon early evenings,plenty of options. However the day of the golf I would have a nap after the golf and give myself no time scale for the evening and found those nights where the mad ones as didn't have anything to get up for the next morning.

I plan to try a few different bars for golf on this trip,will be interesting to see how the compare to my enjoyable experiances at the golf club.

LOTTELLEE WINNA

I have only been to Pattaya once last year in August and found played golf three times a week with the golf club in LK Metro. I found it well organised and easy to get involved with for my 1st trip. I found that this issue with hanging around waiting on presentations didn't really occur it was done with in an hour of everyone getting back in the two vans we used.

I learnt a lot about how to sort out my mongering alongside the golf and will use this for my trip in May. I never went mad the night before the golf so did my mongering in the afternoon early evenings,plenty of options. However the day of the golf I would have a nap after the golf and give myself no time scale for the evening and found those nights where the mad ones as didn't have anything to get up for the next morning.

I plan to try a few different bars for golf on this trip,will be interesting to see how the compare to my enjoyable experiances at the golf club.

This is exactly the best formula for a golf mongering holiday. Nice one.

Joethescot

I wasn't a member of any society for handicap puposes on my trip in August. I found no issues with getting a game or even entering the compitions as I just gave them my SCottish golf union handicap. They then made the adjustments to my handicap from this.

Hope this helps. Also I found the golf to be very well priced for us 2 week millionaires, it so sure for guys staying long term.

I expect it to be cheaper this time in May as I will bring my own clubs with the 30k allowance with Emirates. Found I brought to much clothes last time. so will cut back and that will allow me the weight for my clubs. I was renting clubs at 200 bhat a round,a total mix match but let me enjoy a few games.

fatjack1

I have both IPGC and PSC handicaps difference of 1 except with slope usually adds another 1 on to PSC. Without having a PSC handicap I'd be at a 2 shot disadvantage on some courses. I thought if you can't beat them join them so joined PSC.

The 2 handicap systems don't mix well so you are best having the right handicap for the group you intend to play with.

When I was IPGC (years ago) my handicap varied from 5-7.    Today with PSC I am a 6.  Note I was in a purple patch playing when I left there and it is usually a 7.  Seeing as how much distance I've lost with age and medical issues I think the 7 is valid in either system.   I don't know if the two systems really make a difference for people in my handicap range.  Perhaps other ranges it matters.

I know many IPGC members complain that some PSC members pad their handicaps.  I have no doubt it is true.  For example when I play here in the USA I enter my scores.  I could enter any score I want and return to Pattaya with a handicap 5 shots higher than when I left.  So integrity is mandatory using the USGA system of handicap.  I have noticed players who suddenly surge in handicap prior to big events.  This is the reason I don't play "Calcutta" events where big money is bet.  I'm happy with a side bet in my foursome for drinks money.

Of course IPGC has the issue of not keeping up with recent play unless you enter Congu events on as regular basis.  For people aging or returning from a physical injury it is agonizingly slow to react to real ability.  Or a guy who is a beginner to golf in IPGC that goes home for 6 months may drop 10 shots with dedication and lessons.  He will have a great advantage (albeit short lived)

Neither system is perfect.  And both require integrity from the player.  I make no judgement.  I simply had a choice of doing both, or picking one.  I choose PSC because it was used by more bars and the ones I frequent in particular.  I am considering paying up to join IPGC so that I can play with Donovans which has a number of old friends of mine.  

fatjack1

I wasn't a member of any society for handicap puposes on my trip in August. I found no issues with getting a game or even entering the compitions as I just gave them my SCottish golf union handicap. They then made the adjustments to my handicap from this.

Hope this helps. Also I found the golf to be very well priced for us 2 week millionaires, it so sure for guys staying long term.

I expect it to be cheaper this time in May as I will bring my own clubs with the 30k allowance with Emirates. Found I brought to much clothes last time. so will cut back and that will allow me the weight for my clubs. I was renting clubs at 200 bhat a round,a total mix match but let me enjoy a few games.

Some groups will allow this.  Point I wanted to make was check first.  Some won't allow you in the comp without membership to one of the local groups.  And it might need to be the RIGHT local group.  Some bars do not care.  Research saves heartache.

Joethescot

Some groups will allow this. Point I wanted to make was check first. Some won't allow you in the comp without membership to one of the local groups. And it might need to be the RIGHT local group. Some bars do not care. Research saves heartache.

Totally agree about the research part. I emailed a few place before my trip and it was the golf club which suited myself best. The information BMs like yourself are handing out is helping not just myself but I'm sure many others.

My appreciated