IGNORED

falang or farang, loom or room???

scotchbroth100

I every walk of of Thai life, whether it be while you are actually there or see hear. read about foreigners in Pattaya (or any other part of Thailand for that matter!!) It's either falang or farang, which would you consider to be correct, is it farang and we just take the piss out of Thais because they find it difficult to pronounce there R's?? When I first came to Thailand about 6/7 years ago, I could not make up my mind then, and even now I still can't!!

Unfortunately I am one of those ignorant Brits - yes there are thousands of us about! - who seem to think that wherever we go in the world people should speak English (how sad is that!!!)

I am falang who likes to be in his loom with his teelak

I every walk of of Thai life, whether it be while you are actually there or see hear. read about foreigners in Pattaya (or any other part of Thailand for that matter!!) It's either falang or farang, which would you consider to be correct, is it farang and we just take the piss out of Thais because they find it difficult to pronounce there R's?? When I first came to Thailand about 6/7 years ago, I could not make up my mind then, and even now I still can't!!

Unfortunately I am one of those ignorant Brits - yes there are thousands of us about! - who seem to think that wherever we go in the world people should speak English (how sad is that!!!)

In proper Thai, it's farang. But alot of the girls are from the Isaan part of Thailand. They can't pronounce it, so they say falang. Just like the word for darling "tee-rak", the Isaan girls say "Tee-lak" :OK1:

Its pronounced farrang with a rolling R sound.

Yeah, I could never work out what LOYAN Garden was all about. Eventually I realised it was their interpretation of ROYAL GARDEN. My TG cant pronounce it propertly but thats nothing compared to my efforts with thai!!

Yes, This has always got me,,,

I did this cartoon and i think it makes a point.

What do you think?

Cheers cartoonman.

i have seen these cartoons around pattaya and admired them. they certainly seem to reflect life here (at least for ex-pats) Are they all your work?

Yes, This has always got me,,,

I did this cartoon and i think it makes a point.

What do you think?

Cheers cartoonman.

great cartoonman, its all becoming a little clearer thanks to your lesson!

First of all, its pronounced fa"r-r-r-ang" if you emphasize the rolling r sound, other than than, to keep it simple, just far-rung (past tense of ring, verb)

Secondly, the educated class Thais, especially those down in Bangkok or those who have taken studies abroad, will pronounce it with the R as well instead of L.

L pronounciation errors comes from 2 things:

1: un educated or under privileged folks here.

2: lazyness.

Both 1 and 2 are 50-50% ratioed balanced coz the locals are lazy as hell and the economy is terrible, leading to low education here.

And thirdly, for those who think Suvanapoom is pronounced with an "i" at the end, think twice. Its the way the Thai spell it into English transliteration. So for gods sake don't say "boom me!" It sounds dirty! Say "boom", thank you dudes!

Edited by MioBikerBoyz

Burn rubber not your soul.

First of all, its pronounced fa"r-r-r-ang" if you emphasize the rolling r sound, other than than, to keep it simple, just far-rung (past tense of ring, verb)

Secondly, the educated class Thais, especially those down in Bangkok or those who have taken studies abroad, will pronounce it with the R as well instead of L.

L pronounciation errors comes from 2 things:

1: un educated or under privileged folks here.

2: lazyness.

Both 1 and 2 are 50-50% ratioed balanced coz the locals are lazy as hell and the economy is terrible, leading to low education here.

And thirdly, for those who think Suvanapoom is pronounced with an "i" at the end, think twice. Its the way the Thai spell it into English transliteration. So for gods sake don't say "boom me!" It sounds dirty! Say "boom", thank you dudes!

Isn't uneducated one word ?

john

Thats correct MioBikerBoyz !!! The Thai ladies have no problem getting their tongues round your r's.

is that "r's" or arse? now i am confused!!

Eesarn people are mostly of Lao ethnicity (actually more Lao live in Thailand than Laos itself!), and speak a dialect very close to the language in Laos, the Lao alphabet is more simple and doesn't contain as many signs as Thai, for instance the letter R doesn't exist in Lao language, hence most Eesarn-Lao can't pronounce it but substitute it with L instead! :o

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

Thais as is pointed out by many of you here struggle with many letters in our alphabet.

V is one,they say wee.

CH,SH is also a struggle.

TH also because you stick your tongue out and this is rude in Thai culture.

If they say numbers 1-10 or the alphabet,many will may 2-3 mistakes at least.

I support Liverpool,Peter Crouch in Thai,Peter Crout.

• 3 months later...

I figured out the farang/falang connection, but the "loom" was still confusing me. Wasn't sure if it was a term not found in American English. Thanks for the info!

Eesarn people are mostly of Lao ethnicity (actually more Lao live in Thailand than Laos itself!), and speak a dialect very close to the language in Laos, the Lao alphabet is more simple and doesn't contain as many signs as Thai, for instance the letter R doesn't exist in Lao language, hence most Eesarn-Lao can't pronounce it but substitute it with L instead! :rolleyes:

Plahgat

I don't think that you could get a better explanation than this one.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel