IGNORED

How long is the sim card valid for in Thailand?

Droplet

My girl got me a sim card at the mall this trip. First time Im using a phone/sim in thailand. Works great. Wish I done it before.

Just wondering if there is a time limit on the sim card. If I go back home for 6 months-12 months, will the sim card still be usable once I get back?

I use true move and as far as i know uve gotta use it within 1 year

My Sim Card is more then 10 years old but it gets used frequently...

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

I use Happy (DTAC).

If you have this SIm then a great and in-expensive way to make sure your credit/number lasts is to top up before you leave.

You can top up at only about 2 baht per month using a special code.

Here is a really helpful link with all the info regarding the main 2 carriers in Thailand.

LINK

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I use Happy (DTAC).

If you have this SIm then a great and in-expensive way to make sure your credit/number lasts is to top up before you leave.

You can top up at only about 2 baht per month using a special code.

Here is a really helpful link with all the info regarding the main 2 carriers in Thailand.

LINK

thanks. my girl says my company is OnetoCall. soemthing like that. So each time I go to 7-11 I just say 50 baht Onetocall and they know what I mean. does this mean I can keep this sim/number for at least a year? because the girl will know its my number when i call in the future. I know some girls dont take calls from unknown numbers.

thanks. my girl says my company is OnetoCall. soemthing like that. So each time I go to 7-11 I just say 50 baht Onetocall and they know what I mean. does this mean I can keep this sim/number for at least a year? because the girl will know its my number when i call in the future. I know some girls dont take calls from unknown numbers.

I used to have One2Call and I think that every time you top up you get an extension on your phone.

Check your SMSs from them and it will say when the credit/sim is valid to.

If you need to then just add more credit and you will get another extension.

Try and add it until it gets to the month when you know you will be returning again.

I used to have One2Call and I think that every time you top up you get an extension on your phone.

Check your SMSs from them and it will say when the credit/sim is valid to.

If you need to then just add more credit and you will get another extension.

Try and add it until it gets to the month when you know you will be returning again.

thanks. each time u top up u get a text. i dont understand thai. but the latest one have a date:

18/02/2556

LOL (!?)

Hi mate,

For the last 3-4 years I've been using the same thai SIM (DTAC) - even if I travel to Thailand only once per year for a few weeks. But once I get back to Farangland - I put my SIM into a spare phone I have and it goes into roaming mode. I usually don't have any credit left so I don't use it to make calls or SMSes, but I can receive SMSes on it. I receive a lot of spam SMSes from the DTAC network (horoscope, fortune teller,etc) and rarely some SMSes from TGs. I reckon that the SIM stays valid because it is kept alive on the DTAC network via roaming. Hope it helps.

thanks. each time u top up u get a text. i dont understand thai. but the latest one have a date:

18/02/2556

LOL (!?)

That would mean its valid until the 18th of Feb this year.

Confirmed. My True Money sim good for one year from each purchase/top up of minutes. I've had the same number for 8 years. When you dial "check balance" or when you call "top up to top up" they tell you your sim expiration date in English. If unsure, stop in True Money shop and ask how it all works. BTW, Imhighly recommend True. Some remote villages in Isan have better coverage with AIS and DTAC, but I still prefer True.

That would mean its valid until the 18th of Feb this year.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Now assuming that changing sim comapny is not an option for me - as girls now have my One2call sim number, Id like to keep this number for a year. How do I do this?

as 999baht said my recent topup takes me to feb this year. does this mean i have to top up ~2000 baht of credit to go to the 6 months/1 year mark?

thanks,

Hi Droplet,

I have a 1 2 call sim and when you top it up it always gives a date. Just top it up with 100 baht and see what the date is, as long as it covers your time away it will be valid when you return. That is what I do and it stays alive till I return. Saves messing about and keeps you on the same number. When I am back home it just sits in a draw and is not in a phone at all. No problem.

Keith

Countdown Timer ; Deleted. Just seeing how far away my next trip is hurts too much ! ;-)

Take it easy on me I am a newbee and will be for another ten years or so. Luckily with all the experienced experts on here it will be no matter that I am wrong most of the time. The problem is the more you learn....the more you realise you do not know. Go figure !! ;->DISCLAIMER.. If I say anything about PA it may be wrong or just my opinion. I have nothing to gain but I have been very close to it since it was born. Long may it be as good as it is.Not another Disclaimer!! Yes sorry. If I say something about a bar or Agogo in Patts, especially in Soi Six then I may be benefiting in some small way as I do have an interest there. Will always be honest.

Hi Droplet,

I have a 1 2 call sim and when you top it up it always gives a date. Just top it up with 100 baht and see what the date is, as long as it covers your time away it will be valid when you return. That is what I do and it stays alive till I return. Saves messing about and keeps you on the same number. When I am back home it just sits in a draw and is not in a phone at all. No problem.

Keith

thanks a lot for this. Will give it a try.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Now assuming that changing sim comapny is not an option for me - as girls now have my One2call sim number, Id like to keep this number for a year. How do I do this?

as 999baht said my recent topup takes me to feb this year. does this mean i have to top up ~2000 baht of credit to go to the 6 months/1 year mark?

thanks,

Check to see if one2call has a validity extension service like DTAC. The Dtac extension is only 2 Baht per 30 days. Below is one2call's validity for various topup amounts.

validity.JPG

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I had a AIS 12call number before and I think the number will be taken out of use after a few months if the sim card has not been topped up. I now use DTAC Happy and theirs lasts for a year which works well for people making 1 or 2 visits a year.

You can transfer the number to a different service provider but this would involve a visit to the nearest 12call shop and you would probably need someone who speaks Thai to explain what you want. There may be a charge for this. Probably easier to just get a new card and text your new number to any contacts.

I've got the 7-11 one two call sim, and *500*9# adds a month for 30 baht.

Confirmed. My True Money sim good for one year from each purchase/top up of minutes. I've had the same number for 8 years. When you dial "check balance" or when you call "top up to top up" they tell you your sim expiration date in English. If unsure, stop in True Money shop and ask how it all works. BTW, Imhighly recommend True. Some remote villages in Isan have better coverage with AIS and DTAC, but I still prefer True.

... second these guys ... I am a long time resident here, who prefers DTAC for my daily phone needs.

... but, I have a True Move SIM card, valid for 1-year, simply to access a great Internet rate they offer only to True Move subscribers ... with this True SIM card, I can subscribe to True's Internet access for THB 100/month ... great wifi coverage in major metropolitan areas ... less good upcountry ... reciprocal coverage with KCS (which serves all Starbucks).

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

it seems one2call have shortened validity period..mine now reads27/07/13..i usually have 9month between trips and credit and number is still valid on return

... second these guys ... I am a long time resident here, who prefers DTAC for my daily phone needs.

... but, I have a True Move SIM card, valid for 1-year, simply to access a great Internet rate they offer only to True Move subscribers ... with this True SIM card, I can subscribe to True's Internet access for THB 100/month ... great wifi coverage in major metropolitan areas ... less good upcountry ... reciprocal coverage with KCS (which serves all Starbucks).

And with True, I currently have an unlimited data sim for my iPad for 481B per month. I keep my ipad on 3G 24/7 - I don't bother with wi fi unless I travel out of Thailand. 3G plenty fast, even viewing photos and videos.

And with True, I currently have an unlimited data sim for my iPad for 481B per month. I keep my ipad on 3G 24/7 - I don't bother with wi fi unless I travel out of Thailand. 3G plenty fast, even viewing photos and videos.

Are you sure that you get unlimited data at 3G speed? AIS and DTAC also have 'unlimited' 3G but it is only at 3G speeds for a limits amount of data then it is shaped for more data.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Are you sure that you get unlimited data at 3G speed? AIS and DTAC also have 'unlimited' 3G but it is only at 3G speeds for a limits amount of data then it is shaped for more data.

Scumbag, I speak the truth. I'm more than sure, I'm certain. I've paid the bill 5 months in a row. Walk into any True store and ask about it. I leave my laptop on my desk at work, take my I pad to meetings, get my company mail (google mail) via 3G in all meetings, etc bypass the company firewall to do all my searches. I'm now using this iPad like a smart phone, can pull over on the road and check mail, send a mail, check Internet, etc. everyone's jaw drops when Intell them about the deal. My iPad connection at top left reads......five full bars, TRUE-H 3G.....and by the way, I do long conference calls to Silicon Valley daily via Skype, on this ipad, via 3G. For our company email, we send and receive large data files with many emails, no problem. iPad app updates can be slow with 3G so I end up batching the uploads and do on wi fi while I sleep.

I use Happy (DTAC).If you have this SIm then a great and in-expensive way to make sure your credit/number lasts is to top up before you leave. You can top up at only about 2 baht per month using a special code. Here is a really helpful link with all the info regarding the main 2 carriers in Thailand. http://thaiprepaidcard.com/2009/keypress-codes/#.UOGbnbtw4RI'>LINK

I've just topped up my Happy sim using the Dtac site, http://store.dtac.co.th/en/

Then used the Extend Validity code *113*180*9# to extend by 6 months.

I extend my 1-2-call validity 30 days at a time; it cost 30 baht to extend 30 days but you also get 30 free minutes during the next 20 days to use for free somehow.

dial *500*9#   it will use 30 bahts off your phone and extend your' use by date' the 30 days. So 1 bt per day and I'd guess you can extend your validity for up to a year this way.

I extended from Dec 24 2012 to July 2013 this way.

Also, if your girl friend uses her phone frequently then she'll have validity days she can transfer to you for 3 baht = 20 days validity. My girl did give me a total of 60 extra days this way and it cost her 9 bahts. Cheaper than the  *500*9#  method.

Need some info regarding my 1,2call sim. When I add credit it extends its expiry for 12 months but if all credit has gone before the expiry date is it still a valid card or does it expire because of no credit?

I ask this because I had a call from a girl when I just arrived home and it almost wiped my credits so I turned it off and it will definitely wipe all the credits if I turn it back on.

Is there a way of adding credit from Australia?

Need some info regarding my 1,2call sim. When I add credit it extends its expiry for 12 months but if all credit has gone before the expiry date is it still a valid card or does it expire because of no credit?

I ask this because I had a call from a girl when I just arrived home and it almost wiped my credits so I turned it off and it will definitely wipe all the credits if I turn it back on.

Is there a way of adding credit from Australia?

Try using the AIS site to top up. http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/topup.html

Then use the codes to extend your service.

Archived