IGNORED

Putting money in the envelope at Thai funeral

Ok, need a little help here. My gf's aunt died Monday night. Gf is heading up to Korat for a day to pay her respects as she cannot miss her yoga training for very long and cannot stay for the funeral. She asked me if I wanted to put money in "the envelope". I asked her what she meant and she said look it up on the internet. I have not found any info on it yet. I assume people put money in an envelope but where the heck does it go? She said helps pay for the food they serve at the temple, etc. Not to her husband who is glad his wife is gone (jerk). Also, since I support her while she is getting her yoga teaching certification, I am sure she wants me to put money in the envleope so SHE can be seen putting money in since she is not working.

Can someone enlighten me on the process of putting money in the envelope and where it goes?

Thanks....Tom

Thai funerals usually go on for up to 7 days, the last day been the cremation. Lots of guests are usually present and will eat and drink during their visits. On top of this are the usual funeral costs so the money goes towards the expenses. Some money also go's with the deceased along with other personal effects to use in their next life.

does it really matter where it goes? if you want to give your girl face, i'd advice putting something in it :Buddy1:

does it really matter where it goes? if you want to give your girl face, i'd advice putting something in it :Buddy1:

That are some wise words my friend well said there good post

well, the thing is to know how MUCH to give, so you dont put in a 100baht note but is expected to put a 1000 :D

Thai funerals usually go on for up to 7 days, the last day been the cremation. Lots of guests are usually present and will eat and drink during their visits. On top of this are the usual funeral costs so the money goes towards the expenses. Some money also go's with the deceased along with other personal effects to use in their next life.

Sounds pretty much like what the GF told me last week. She went to an funeral in the next village in Isaan, lasted only three days. As far as money goes, she said the famous line, "up to you", not too helpful.

She doesn't have much money but said for many people in the village give a little more then the deceased (or the family) gave at a similar event in the past. It sounds kind of like one ups man ship. So if the deseased's family gave 100 baht at the last funeral her family had, they would give 150 baht at this one. Anybody else heard it explained like this?

I have been to my GFs aunts funeral, as said before it is a 3 day wake. I just went along to pay my respects for an hour, my GF asked me to leave some money for her cousin who was only child, just gave 500bt as not sure, it was excepted with grace and thanks.

It is not much to me, saves face for my girl etc. Have seen her cousin many times since, when visiting family, she is always very nice to me, getting food, drink etc. Its nice to be nice, they dont forget.

• 3 weeks later...

When my then gf's father died I paid for the coffin (around 2-3,000 if I remember correctly), the rest of the family took care of day's worths of food, transportation, funeral fees and hospitality. On day three all the women had to sell their gold. I did quite well out of that but was eventualy forced to return the profit I had made from buying it.

Shame

Anyway, put what you can in the envelope. It won't go to waste.

*WARNING. The above statement was prepared in a factory that uses irony. It may contain irony. It cannot be guaranteed as irony free. Readers with an adverse reaction to irony or irony based products should consume a pinch of salt before reading. Readers who have are known irony-deficient should seek professional help before continuing*

'I'd like to congratulate Chris Pattaya on being the smuggest cnut ever shat into God's creation', Unknown Mango Sauce contributer.

As a rule of thumb 1000Bt is about right .

It is also the custom to write the givers name on the envelope and keep a note of who gave what. :Party1: In the next sad event a persons donation is modified by what that family has given to others in the past.

If it is not a relative or close friend then 2-300Bt is quit acceptable.

On an interesting side note when my father in law died I asked if if I might meet his funeral expenses as a mark of the respect I had for him. ( Anyone with that many Mia noy deserved it and I really liked the old goat !)

The family didn't need it but accepted .

It cost me 1700 Pounds UK .

Despite the bad things you hear about Thai relatives the family building firm are currently building us a very large house at cost in Hui Hin and they negotiated 'Thai price' on the land I bought. The house is completely owned by me and my son has given me a lease and a lifetime right to occupy through his mothers power of attorney, so they are doing it for me not my wife.

I obtained quotes from 3 other builders and they were for about twice what I am paying.

What I am saying is if you take on some of the Thai ways and attitude then you earn respect and help from some Thais.

Don't ever be a 'mug' but don't be a cheep Charley ether IMHO !

The house is completely owned by me and my son has given me a lease and a lifetime right to occupy through his mothers power of attorney

Two conflicting words..owned & lease.

The house is completely owned by me and my son has given me a lease and a lifetime right to occupy through his mothers power of attorney

Two conflicting words..owned & lease.

Not in Thailand. He owns the house but only leases the land it is on.

The worrying word in his post is 'lifetime'!

I don't know if the law has changed but you could lease the land for a 30 year period usually followed by another 30 year period. 60 years could possibly be a lifetime to most. Alot of people believed you could take a lease for 3 consecutive 30 years ( 90 years ) but I don't think this is true.

Edited by lincslad