IGNORED

How long do you keep the buddha string bracelets on for?

Jumpin Jack Flash

What type of Buddism is practiced in Thailand? I understand there are a number of different 'types'. Is it acceptable for foreigners to go to the temples? thanks for any help for a newbie.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand along with the other Southern S.E.Asian countries tend to follow Theravada Buddhism. It considered to be less strict that Mahayana.

As for visiting temples anyone can go and everyone will be welcomed.

I have a thread going called English Monk in Thailand feel free to post general questions there so as to keep this one on topic.

With metta

Para

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

Mine are also in a box next to my Buddha statues.

I also keep mine, the best way to take it off is let a Monk do it when he gives a new one he cuts the old one after he has put on a new one, the white string is called Sai sin and it is suppose to ward off evil spirits and keep you safe,

Good excuse to keep going to the Temple, :GoldenSmile1:

Posted Image

Thanks for the reply I will head off to read your opther thread now. Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply I will head off to read your opther thread now. Thanks again.

How log do you keep it on; how long is a piece of string

But take it off to early and you get bad luck, take it off too later and you get called a smelly farang

How log do you keep it on; how long is a piece of string

But take it off to early and you get bad luck, take it off too later and you get called a smelly farang

Enterprise don't go scarring people about taking off too early!

I do however agree best to remove before it turns black and smells.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Hm.

Am I allowed to say any religion is a stupidity?

Totally agree.

Totally agree.

Absolutely but then Buddhism isn't a religion!

You should keep it for at least 3 days. After you can take it down.

A got one from monk (solid, colorful) and a about 7 whites from family. After 6 months, my another visit at Thailand, I had fight. Blood everywhere and white ones were sticked together by this blood. So I toke them down. 9 months later, quality one, from the monk, I still wear.

If somebody knows that you visited Thailand, it's good to have this strings to show them what were you doing here and what it was about. Better than having in your hands  your STDs results. :ThumbUp6:  

Hmm, I remember I got such a (pink) cord (bracelet) from a girl I was in to... Does it have a special meaning?<br /><br />At the end I thought it was a mark to show I was a gullible farang and no other girl should come near me, because I was taken. 55555

You should keep it for at least 3 days. After you can take it down.hands  your STDs results.

LOL!

Hmm, I remember I got such a (pink) cord (bracelet) from a girl I was in to... Does it have a special meaning?<br /><br />At the end I thought it was a mark to show I was a gullible farang and no other girl should come near me, because I was taken. 55555

Its (generally) given by a Monk when you offer him Alms as a sign of gratitude.

The time to worry is when the TGF ties hers through yours like handcuffs then its means a WHOLE different thing. :Circle_Sharks:

The time to worry is when the TGF ties hers through yours like handcuffs then its means a WHOLE different thing. :Circle_Sharks:

Oh, explain please?

Or is it a joke? :)

Oh, explain please?

Or is it a joke? :)

Sorry mate it was a joke as in a pair of his and hers handcuffs to keep the other girls away!

Sorry mate it was a joke as in a pair of his and hers handcuffs to keep the other girls away!

Oh ok, thought it was maybe some secret thing that you should know about as newbie! Damned, I'm getting too paranoid about these things! 55555

Means you are rubber stamped as a sponsorer for that Lady.    Or Make Thai Ladies and the Villagers aware that you already owned by the sponsor . :GoldenSmile1:

Oh ok, thought it was maybe some secret thing that you should know about as newbie! Damned, I'm getting too paranoid about these things! 55555

Sorry mate no Secrets, not yet anyways! No need for paranoia around me just occasional need for a bit of thick skin and the ability to cut through my occasionally odd but certainly dry English sense of humor.

Feel free to drop by my English Monk thread who knows what Secrets await........!

Means you are rubber stamped as a sponsorer for that Lady.    Or Make Thai Ladies and the Villagers aware that you already owned by the sponsor . :GoldenSmile1:

Ah I see Jocky King has donned the old Buddhist handcuffs in the past welcome to the club!

As I mentioned in Para's thread, I am really hoping to get one of these on my next trip and to visit a Wat or two.

I do have pretty big wrists (due to only being able to take 1 trip to LOS a year....I'll let you figure that one out!), so I'm hoping the thing has some "give" to it.

As I mentioned in Para's thread, I am really hoping to get one of these on my next trip and to visit a Wat or two.

I do have pretty big wrists (due to only being able to take 1 trip to LOS a year....I'll let you figure that one out!), so I'm hoping the thing has some "give" to it.

Don't worry they put it on your left wrist. Oh you aint a leftie are you?

There are 2 styles of strings I will get a picture of the other kind which are able to fit pretty much anyone. If you get an older string type they will just keep winding till it fits. Might have to offer more Alms to cover the extra yardage. ;-)

• 2 months later...

I've been going to the temples here in the States....and my TGF told me keep it on for 3 days. I wear them for about a week or so. The blessing is usually in Thai, so I have no idea what I'm being blessed for....probably the TGF wants me to give her money!!

• 4 months later...

When i arrived back home the string was removed from my wrist so it was there for 3 or 4 weeks usually.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had mine on since last March.  I'm not religious or even believe in luck.  I like it because any time I get frustrated with being here in Farangland, I just look at my wrist and get a reminder of being in LOS and it keeps me focused on getting back.

pogo

minimum is 3 days as stated in multiple posts (here in Sisaket province!!!)

maximum = up2u!

Strange that nobody has got an explanation for the 3 days!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

• 4 years later...
On 12/12/2012 at 06:38, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

On my last visit I visited a temple and the monk tied one of those little string bracelets on my wrist. Looks kinda cool most of the time but there comes a point when you don't want it showing - back home, in business meetings etc. So is there a minimum length of time you're supposed to keep it on for, so that the good luck wished on you has a chance to take effect? Or am I being stupidly superstitious?

I'm Buddhist mate. Generally it's because the string has been blessed so they tie the blessing to keep it close to you. 

You can throw it away anytime you want. Generally I throw mine in flower pots or tie it to a tree instead of trashing it. Seems more respectful that way. 

Alternately, if you have an alter. Can just keep it there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2012 at 20:47, Scumbag said:

If there are Thai people around just ask what is appropriate. If you are back at home remove it when you need to. Nothing untoward will happen that wouldn't have happened anyway, honest!!!!

If you ask a Thai you will get the same answer that they give to any question "Up to you".

I'm usually given several when I return to the UK and am told that they are to ensure a safe journey and safe return. Usually 3 weeks and TGF removes them on my return, with a shout of "Job done!".

It's traditional to let them rot off but I once tried this and they went really manky after 3 months, so I took them off on the grounds of hygiene.

Archived