IGNORED

How long do you keep the buddha string bracelets on for?

Jumpin Jack Flash

On my last visit I visited a temple and the monk tied one of those little string bracelets on my wrist. Looks kinda cool most of the time but there comes a point when you don't want it showing - back home, in business meetings etc. So is there a minimum length of time you're supposed to keep it on for, so that the good luck wished on you has a chance to take effect? Or am I being stupidly superstitious?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had one on for about 18 months before.

If your not Buddhist then you probably don't believe anyway so it is up to you

In my area it is considered courteous to leave it on for three days whether it is given by a Monk or a member of a family, but I have no idea why it is for three days, the same applies when they bless a new car or motorbike

Well it's been over 3 weeks now so I guess I'm in the clear. But there's no danger of it dropping off anytime this century - it's on tighter than a Thai rubber. It'll need cutting I reckon.

I may be wrong but don't cut it

You have to rip it off

Yes according to TGF you have to use your hands not a knife. Have a bath or shower first and it will snap off easily. She also said it should be 7 days if it is a white one and 28 days if it is a multicloured one.

If it flies, floats or fucks - it will be cheaper to rent !

If there are Thai people around just ask what is appropriate. If you are back at home remove it when you need to. Nothing untoward will happen that wouldn't have happened anyway, honest!!!!

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

till they drop off, I have had one for over 4 years. Not sure how it would go over if ur not living here but would make for some interesting talk if ur boss asks about it in a board meeting

Hm.

Am I allowed to say any religion is a stupidity?

Am I allowed to say what has your comment got to do with the op's question?

[ Insert witty funny Tapatalk signature ]

I never walk under Ladders, Hate Friday the 13th and keep the Bracelets on as long as possible. Or unless I am told to remove it, as at Work we have a Zero below Elbows Policy and even then I have to be reminded a few times

Ghosty

Tried to break it off this morning - no joy, only left big red slasher marks on my wrist :huh:

So I improvised - rubbed a razor across it to loosen the treads a little - then it snapped off easily. :GoldenSmile1:

Hm.

Am I allowed to say any religion is a stupidity?

Umm this forum IMHO is about helping other members and sharing info so we all get the best out of Pattaya. How does your statement help JJF or anybody else. But your entitled to say what you want.....freedom of speech and all that

• 3 weeks later...

the string is a badge to other Thais that you have been to the temple.

My GF thought we had a ghost in the house so the monks came and tied a string round the perimeter. It was there for ever and jolly annoying too , as I had to lift it up all the time to get underneath. It was a barrier against evil, but not sure if it kept the evil in or out....

Well since I took it off, I've had nothing but bad luck - at work and in my personal life (the kind of bad luck that might cost me a lot of money). Coincidence I'm sure, but I'm putting the thing back on ASAP :Think1:

you cant put it back on, it has to be placed on by a monk. Just go to any temple

Umm this forum IMHO is about helping other members and sharing info so we all get the best out of Pattaya. How does your statement help JJF or anybody else. But your entitled to say what you want.....freedom of speech and all that

I certainly agree with the idea of freedom of speech. But on the other hand, the palm faces the other direction. Wait, that's not it. Oh yeah, Some people take religion real seriously, (perhaps not on this board) but there are people who would react, shall we say, with great hostility to those who would ridicule their faith. Not going to single out any group.

• 1 month later...

Keep it for at least 3 days then remove if you want to....

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

correct me if im wrong....but, when you take it off you have to put it on a tree branch and not just throw it in the trash? 

correct me if im wrong....but, when you take it off you have to put it on a tree branch and not just throw it in the trash? 

I actually keep all of mine in a box but as long as you are respectful of the fact it was given to you as good luck by a Monk then its fine.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

I'm very superstitious and on several occassions when monks have tied those strings to my wrists they have stay on me until they broke with wear naturally. And then I put the strings next to a Buddha image at a temple or at home.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

I'm very superstitious and on several occassions when monks have tied those strings to my wrists they have stay on me until they broke with wear naturally. And then I put the strings next to a Buddha image at a temple or at home.

Mine are also in a box next to my Buddha statues.

Archived