IGNORED

Train from Kuala Lumpar or Singapore to Bangkok

core2k

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any experiences of either of these journeys by train? I know you can get flights for reasonable prices, but the ideal of going by train sounds kindof romantic (don't ask :rolleyes: ).

I haven't done it yet but it's on the list. I am thinking of a trip next year travelling from UK to Singapore by freighter (17 days) via the suez canal then a train from Singapore to Bangkok.

This is a great website that gives upto date info on train journeys around the world. You will find a load of stuff here that might help:

www.seat61.com

Often thought about taking a train from Singapore, would be interesting to hear from anyone who has.

Done it a number of times for something different. A bus is faster but not as fun.

Pick the train to KL up at the international terminal down near the docks.

Make sure you get immigration stamped at JB. They missed me the first time and it was shit to get done in KL. You get off the train and walk through the station and get back on the train again.

The train to LOS leaves KL about 8:10 p.m I usually get a 2nd class sleeper - make sure you get a bottom bunk and nowhere near the door unless you are a heavy sleeper and smoker.

Gets into Butterworth about 5 a.m. Very slow with numerous stops as a bus does it in about 4 hours. You can get off there or go to the Thai border interchange. Station name escapes me but it is same procedure as JB. Catch train to Hat Yai - whichever spelling is convenient.

Bangkok express leaves in the afternoon. Put the luggae if any in a locker and wander around Hat Yai.

I usually get the first class express and pay the extra to be solo. Lock the door as the "butler" keeps walking in without knocking. Menu service ata small premium.

Gets into Hua Luamphong about 7 a.m.\\

There are train choices. The Malaysian and Thai rail sites are great.

Enjoy

I have taken the overnight train from Samui (just up from Samui on the mainland) to Bangkok that was good arrived fully refreshed after a good nights sleep, it's dirt cheap and an experience well worth doing at least once.

"A man does what he can until his destiny is revealed"

There's light at the end of this long tunnel

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!! It takes days to get up to BKK. I tried it from the north of Malaysia and will never ever consider doing it again.

• 3 weeks later...

What happened Esco? Why was it terrible? How much did you pay for that trip from North Malaysia to Bkk?

Burn rubber not your soul.

A couple of years ago I took the train from Singapore to KL and then on to Penang. After that train travel gets a bit dodgy, and I would recommend flying from Penang to either Phuket or BKK.

It took about 4 hrs to get from Singapore to KL, but it was relaxing and the scenery was beautiful. I would take this trip again. Don't overlook Penang. Great food, decent beaches and very pretty Malay/Chinese girls.

It took about 4 hrs to get from Singapore to KL,

I would make that closer 7-8 hours. (on the fastest of the trains)

Agree with the scenery bit.

Edited by sonny