Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Silky Oak Golf Course

farcanal

Hi guys, we played this course not long after it was opened. Enjoyed it but found the "shared" fairways a pain in the arse. I think from memory about 6 holes had shared fairways......quite dangerous if the course has a few playing. Any one know if this has changed to 18 separate fairways? I seem to remember seeing some earthworks around that course when we were playing St Andrews 2000 last March.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

• 1 month later...

I saw the work in january as well, the caddy say it would be new holes for the silky course.

• 3 months later...

Time to re-visit Silky Oaks .... ha anyone played there recently. I heard it was "looking good" last September but have not seen any reviews but notice a few of the societies are having a hit there from time to time. Any info would be useful ...thanks.

I do know they had 200 Koreans staying and playing there for the whole of February and March. I tried to get a Tee Time for my group and it was a no no.

I would imagine after 200 Koreans have been stomping round it for 2 months it would be looking pretty worn. Check out most of pattayas golf groups on the PSC website and you will see no group plays there. Why you think this may be? 

Managed to play Silky Oaks in february .  Lovely course , shared fairways on some holes ,  but the day we played was very quiet so no fairway problems .  No Koreans at all .

Mikeyboy

mini-22 9 2011 260.jpgmini-22 9 2011 262.jpgmini-22 9 2011 263.jpgmini-22 9 2011 264.jpgmini-22 9 2011 266.jpgmini-22 9 2011 274.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed away from Silky Oaks because of complaints about shared fairways . Finally gave in and played a round and learned once again you shouldn't base decisions on the bias of a few critics . Beautifully manicured  with the best greens I have played this year . Obviously very few rounds being played as there were few  divots in fairways or pitch marks on greens .

The day we played there were few golfers so I didn't get to see how the shared fairways would be a problem but the fairways are

very generous . You must take a cart as the course has many elevation changes . I can see someone with bad knees or hips having a problem  with the elevated tee's and greens as there are some very steep climbs . There is also quite a walk from  the greens to the  motorway on some holes .  For me the interesting and challenging design made some minor inconvenience inconsequential . Also you need to stock up on liquids at the outset as there is currently only one rest stop on the front and one on the back nine.

• 5 months later...

yes my friend was there a few weeks ago and said it was really nice course

• 5 months later...

It's closed for part of the year, just opened again last Oct when we played. Great condition and lay-out. Caddy said the new construction going on was for a new course and some of the existing holes would be part of that, so I suspect less sharing of fairways when the new one opens

It's closed for part of the year, just opened again last Oct when we played. Great condition and lay-out. Caddy said the new construction going on was for a new course and some of the existing holes would be part of that, so I suspect less sharing of fairways when the new one opens

Yes l played there as well in January.....was having a good game until my caddie got smacked in the back from a wayward Korean drive approx 40 meters away.......she went down in a screaming heap.....then after 10 mins she was ok to press on......next shot l hit just missed par 3 green to the right.......could not find it..... hole wiped....next hole wiped....wheels fell off !

I like the course as well......however we had to wait about 10/15 minutes on about 3/4 tees bcoz of the shared fairways.......it pissed me off in the end.

I come to Thailand for the beaches.....How about you ???

• 2 months later...

Any further news about this one  ?

• 1 month later...

A great course I've played it about a dozen times this year,the shared fairways are not a problem.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Played it again last week, no more shared fairways, and 7-8 new holes. Could do with a few more drink stops as there's just one on the front 9 for the whole 18 holes... 

Also you need to stock up on liquids at the outset as there is currently only one rest stop on the front and one on the back nine.

Actually it's the same rest stop as you pass it twice  !

• 4 weeks later...

Played it again last week, no more shared fairways, and 7-8 new holes. Could do with a few more drink stops as there's just one on the front 9 for the whole 18 holes... 

That's good news...l will give it another go.

I come to Thailand for the beaches.....How about you ???

• 11 months later...

Just to bump this thread.

It seems this course is not as popular as the 2 others in this complex.

St Andrews green fees for July (PSC members) 2500

Rayong Green Valley 2000

Silky Oak 800

I would have thought now that they have no shared fairways (as the jewelman has stated in post #14) people would be flocking to play there.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

While some golfers love the course, many others know that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Basically, it's a collection of golf holes rather than a properly designed golf course. And contrast its VFM with the great low season deals on offer at Greenwood and Treasure Hill.

I'd rather look at tits, cunts and arseholes than listen to them!

Silky Oak is compulsory golf cart, could have something to do with it, i avoid it for this reason. Green Valley is very good, PSC rate was 1500 high season. Condition may be ify due to drought, worth checking

Silky Oak is compulsory golf cart, could have something to do with it, i avoid it for this reason. Green Valley is very good, PSC rate was 1500 high season. Condition may be ify due to drought, worth checking

I agree but to be fair you need a cart just to get to the first tee - its about a mile away! - and back at the end.

PSC July offer Tuesday and Thursday is green fee of 600 so with caddy and cart thats 1550 all in. Green Valley green fee special is 800 baht on Tuesday and Thursday.

While some golfers love the course, many others know that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Basically, it's a collection of golf holes rather than a properly designed golf course. And contrast its VFM with the great low season deals on offer at Greenwood and Treasure Hill.

Greenwood trying to push their prices up - green fee only now 500 up from 400 but really still a steal.

However they tried to quote 1350 for gf,cart and caddy (was 1050) - but this price does not appear on the PSC sheets.

• 4 months later...

Greenwood looks like a fantastic price. Seems one can retire and play some golf in Pattaya for under 50usd a round unless I'm missing something. Plus there are others to do in Pattaya I'm sure.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Greenwood is excellent value. Nice track but facilities seem to keep people away. Personally I go for the golf course, don't care if locker loom is not a gin Palace. Silky Oaks has never taken off. Firstly it was badly launched, all that messing around with tee boxes and fairways. Secondly, the St Andrews organisation have gotten so focused on the Asian market.

• 2 weeks later...

Played it recently

Quite frankly was a bit less than impressed.

Not much thought required and course management not required that much

Far too many holes where I hitting a driver/ wedge into green

Just load up and blast away

Even the Par 3s all same distance for me a wedge

I took 14 clubs and I probably used 6

Greens not too receptive and balls pitched and rolled off far too often.

What made it worse is many greens had big drop offs on so you would see someone hit a good shot and it roll and roll and roll and go that yard too far and then end up 30/40 yards away

Not exactly what you wanting to see.

Golfers know when someone has hit a good shot from the fairway and when it lands on the green and they ain't putting it ain't that fair

Greens were also a little sandy and slow but that just the luck with the maintenance schedule and we were not so lucky that day.

I was really looking forward to playing here as I had previously played Green Valley and St Andrews and had enjoyed them

Let's just say I was less than enthused about this place and there are many courses that interest me more than this one

Greenwood is excellent value. Nice track but facilities seem to keep people away. Personally I go for the golf course, don't care if locker loom is not a gin palace. Silky Oaks has never taken off. Firstly it was badly launched, all that messing around with tee boxes and fairways. Secondly, the St Andrews organisation have gotten so focused on the Asian market.

I'm really surprised to hear you say that the facilities aren't good at Greenwood. I have always found them to be more than adequate. I have always rated Greenwood as one of the best designs in the area, always great value.

Archived