IGNORED

Requirements for renewing a motorcycle registration in Pattaya?

Tamada

I bought a new motorcycle in Pattaya about a year ago and it is almost time to renew the registration on it.

Is a safety inspection needed on it (or does that apply only on motorcycles older than, say, five years)? If such an inspection is needed, where is the easiest place to have it done? Or do I have to take the motorcycle out to the Department of Land (?) office where I got my Thai drivers licenses?

I had to present a residence permit from Immigration (to prove my address) last year when I bought the motorcycle originally. Is that required only to purchase a motorcycle or is it also required each year to renew the registration on that motorcycle?

Thanks much for any insights you can offer.

The easiest ive done was on Suchumvit heading north right beside where the road bears right and up onto the Bangkok flyover.

Big motorbike service place there where you can renew everything.Just look for the big forecourt.

You wont need an inspection,though they do that too, but can still get new tax etc.Collect next day.Just take paperwork with you.I think they charged 90bt extra for doing it.

Or you could just go back to where you bought it.

Edited by gungadin

Just go to AA opposite Big C on Sukhumvit . Bring the blue book and 100 Baht and they take care of it .

No inspection needed for a 1 year old bike .

I can't believe an inspection is required for ANY bike when you see some of the old wrecks driving around Pattaya.

I can't believe an inspection is required for ANY bike when you see some of the old wrecks driving around Pattaya.

I understand what your saying,but if you cant tax your bike you can bet that the BIB are gonna take more money from you than the poor Thais who drive the shitheaps.

Just about any of the bigger bike dealers in pattaya will sort this out for you. You can even leave it early if you are going to be out of the country and collect the new disc when you return.

I believe the "safety check' is more focussed towards checking the chassis/engine number, I have watched them do it for my old bike and they never looked at a dam thing other than that. Yes, its only bikes over 5 years old

"Bring the blue book" I think you mean the Green book, isnt the Blue book for house registration. You need the green book which is the motorbike book. You dont need anything from immigration.

Thank you very kindly to all responders ... much appreciated. Will take care of that this week.