Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Driver's License requirements for scooters?

willswing134

Can anyone tell me when a class C "motorcycle approved" license is required? Does it kick in after 125cc? Is it required for Scooters or will your standard car driver's license suffice?

A car license is not suitable for Scooters.

But a 'scooter license' (bike license) is suitable for all bikes.

Get it in Thailand. Only takes a day :)

licence3.JPG

etc etc............

"Get it in Thailand. Only takes a day :)

Not quite correct. Before you can go for the licence you need a Proof of Residence letter from Jomtien immigration. To get this you will need a long-term visa. When yu lodge your application you can pick up the letter the next day. You will also need a medical certificate, which you can pick up just about anywhere

You can then go to the licence place on route 36, but get there by 8am or face big queues.

Lots of detailed posts on this on here just do a search

Not

Not quite correct. Before you can go for the licence you need a Proof of Residence letter from Jomtien immigration. To get this you will need a long-term visa. When yu lodge your application you can pick up the letter the next day. You will also need a medical certificate, which you can pick up just about anywhere

You can then go to the licence place on route 36, but get there by 8am or face big queues.

Not

Well, I got mine in a day. Only waited an hour for residency letter (after paying 500b). Medical takes 30 minutes.

Well, I got mine in a day. Only waited an hour for residency letter (after paying 500b). Medical takes 30 minutes.

My medical took less than 3min. The receptionist at a clinic on buakhow near Oasis filled in the form. No actual health checks of any kind. (nice easy money for the clinic as well)

"Well, I got mine in a day. Only waited an hour for residency letter (after paying 500b)"

I only paid 200 baht and I wasnt even aware that there was an express service so thanks for the info, tho it will be five years before I need to renew it.

I only paid 200 baht and I wasnt even aware that there was an express service so thanks for the info, tho it will be five years before I need to renew it.

Same Same here. No idea about an express service and 500B seems too much. If you are there early enough they will process it the same day. Not sure how long the wait is. For me as I got there around 3pm they told me to come back the following day.

Not

you do not need a long term visa to get a license. In Jomtien/Pattaya, you need a cert of residency from the immagration office (1 for motorcycle licesnse and 1 for auto, if you want to drive those too). you also need a medical cert (one for motorcycle and one for car). You can only get a 1 year provisional with a tourist visa.

Also, read this thread and my post in it. http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/114809-updated-info-wanted-for-motorbike-license/

It should answer most any question.

Edited by nrvous

"For me as I got there around 3pm they told me to come back the following day."

I was at immigration around 9am but I still had to come back the next morning.

Thanks for the replies, but Damn, I thought a scooter would be relatively hassle free. I have to admit I hadn't really planned for this. I was planning on stayin in Patts but doing a lot of windsurfing in Jomtien...maybe I'll just catch a taxi back and forth. I also have a week in Phuket where I was counting on using a scooter extensively as I have heard the taxis there are a bit of a rip-off.

so it would seem that they have a finite amount of customer numbered cards to give out. when those run out, "you come tomorrow". So get there by 8am Tues-Thurs and you should be fine.

Willswing134, are you living here? or just here for a couple weeks? If staying 6+ months I'd suggest it. Otherwise, get an International Drivers Permit in your home country. If you have neither and you are pulled over, it is a 400b fine. Pretty rare to get pulled over if you ware aware of the trap areas and pay attention

I only have a drivers license valid for driving a car. I've been pulled over several times and this was never an issue.

Besides, if they really want to fine you they will.

Posted Image

I have been pulled over with a farang license and not motorcyle notation and no IDP, no ticket. I also drove down the wrong way past a cop. didn't get up from his chair. Drove down the freeway with a thai friend in a very fast car going around 180-240kmh when possible, passed a couple cops. didn't even bat an eye.

if you just have a car and are on a bike, sure, probably not ticket. the inverse is probably not true. but the point is it is easy to just get both at the same time.

This will be the third time I have applied for a driver’s license and this time it was even easier, I had a motor cy renewal and a new car drivers license to get.

First thing you will need is a letter from Immigration certifying your current address in Thailand. The immigration office can be found in Jomtein soi 5, from beach road about ¾ the way up soi 5 and on the right. Easy to find, don’t go too early as it is a bit of a shit fight with all the early birds fighting for position, I got there at 10:15 and told the guy at the desk that I wanted a driver’s license, he gave me the correct form and pointed me towards the photocopy shop right next door.

You will need to take;

• Passport with TM card.

• Rental agreement or Blue condo book, proof of address in Thailand.

As I walked towards the copy shop a lovely young lady asked me if I want Photocopeeeeeey? I told her I wanted driver’s license…..OK….you hab passport…..Hab!…….you hab address?...... Hab!…she then said, motorcy or car….I said both…..she then repeated ‘boat’ as she took all my documents and walked away…no no no! car and motorcy I said…’both’…together …..one one…with a big smile and a laugh she was onto it, another lady came up and took my photo, 50baht each or 4 for 150. I needed 3 for the two applications.

What you will leave with;

• Two copies of your passport face page.

• Two copies of your visa and TM card.

• Two copies of your proof of residential address, for me it was the Blues condo book.

• 4 Mug shots.

Once back in the coolness of the immigration building, I filled out the required form, I could do all the easy things, name, DOB, passport number, visa number, but had a bit of trouble when it came to filling in the address so I went back to the main desk and told the lady I was not sure how to fill out all the blanks……the lady did it for me and once finished she then gave me a numbered card (705) and told me to wait for when my number is called.

Residency permit are at counter number 7, located on the right hand side of the room, right down the back and in the corner, I noticed that number 704 was up and it wasn’t long before my number was displayed and called. I met a very pleasant man who took all my paper work and sorted through it, then paper clipped a number on it all and one to my passport, charged me 400baht and told me to come back in half an hour. I was expecting to come back the next day.

There are a few places to eat or get a coffee or a beer on the immigration grounds, so I had a large Chang and deep fried moo to munch on while waiting. I walked back in to immigration after about 40 minutes, walked straight up to the desk number 7, the officer was just finishing up with another customer, I flashed my number and he retrieved my two ‘proof of Thailand address forms’, one for each license application, all too easy.

Driving on the way to the traffic (regent)……I stopped in at a random health clinic, told them I wanted medical for driving license, gave them my passport and one of my new residence certificates, they filled out a very official looking document, then asked me for 100 baht and I was away….very easy.

At the traffic I went across the road to the photo copy shop, again a very lovely young lady was at hand to help me, as I was getting two licenses, she explained that I have to have two applications so double up on the copies…….great…..31 baht.

You will need;

• Medical certificate.

• Your original countries drivers’ license or international driver’s license.

• Passport and TM card.

• Proof of address.

• Old Thailand license to be renewed.

All these were photo copied twice, no mug shot is required.

Go through the main doors at traffic and up to the first floor, I got there just after 11:50, there wasn’t many people about, there is a service desk just as you enter the room on your right, I gave all my paper work to a guy on the desk, he sorted through it into two piles and made sure of what I wanted, renewal of motorcy and new car license, he then gave me a number (green 71) and I was told to sit and wait.

Wasn’t too long before all the greens cards were called (all farangs). The first test involved a lady with a stick pointing to different colours on a color-blind chart and you had to yell them out, green, yellow and red….. then testing your peripheral vision, which involved placing your face on a frame and a coloured light will come on each side, mine was green to the right and yellow to the left…..easy.

The third test was braking reaction, this involved putting your foot on an accelerator and wait until some red LED’s start to rise, the idea is to take your foot off the accelerator and slam it on the brake before the red LED’s reach a certain height, marked by a red line. The last test I would call testing your depth of field, a hand held controller with a button on it controls a little stick that moves towards you (in the same machine that the brake test was done) and you have to stop it when it lines up with another stationary stick, stop it somewhere near the other stick and you pass. You are then told to take a seat and your name will be called out…….once it is, you go up to a desk and receive you passport and international license back and all the forms, you take this to the cashier and I paid 360 baht and with your change you are given a number and told to wait in different seats.

My number was called and I sat in front of a camera where my photo was taken and my image was printed on both licenses there and then…..and that was it…I was even given my old motor cy licence back with two holes in it.

I was at immigration at 10:15 and I left the traffic office right on 13:30 with both my driver’s licenses….a very pleasant experience.

All up the whole procedure cost me under 1000 baht and 3 hours and 15 minutes.....

good luck.

My Australian drivers license (for car) has always worked when the cops ask. I drive the scooter every day.

just because it worked doesn't make it legal and that you will never get a ticket. your license is not valid here. If you have an IDP well then, thats different. Many people do many illegal things here and rarely get in trouble. that doesn't mean you never will have problems.

I got stoppted tonight on second road gave the POLICE man my UK licence with motor bike on it and he said on your way, happy days not so happy for the two young thai guys he pulled for no helmets...

Bringing your own helmet is worth its weight in gold. Don't rely on their sweaty plastic ones. Try and rent a scooter that has a large internal storage compartment so it won't get stolen.

But my understanding is we can use international bike and/or car license and its easy to obtain in US for 25 bucks and its valid for 1 year.

But my understanding is we can use international bike and/or car license and its easy to obtain in US for 25 bucks and its valid for 1 year.

You understand correctly ( however note that it must list Car and bike if you wish to drive a car and a bike).

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

an International Drivers Permit (IDP) is good for 1 year from when you get it. it MUST have car and motorbike if you want to drive both here. No motorbike endorsement, then it is useless with a scooter. I am sure some cops would let you go though. Rumor is that an IDP is only good for insurance payouts upto 90 days from entry into the country. ie. insurance may not pay out. If you stay here a long time.... go get your IDP with the correct endorsement and then go get your thai licenses (which will be easier with the IDP)

This will be the third time I have applied for a driver’s license and this time it was even easier, I had a motor cy renewal and a new car drivers license to get.

First thing you will need is a letter from Immigration certifying your current address in Thailand. The immigration office can be found in Jomtein soi 5, from beach road about ¾ the way up soi 5 and on the right. Easy to find, don’t go too early as it is a bit of a shit fight with all the early birds fighting for position, I got there at 10:15 and told the guy at the desk that I wanted a driver’s license, he gave me the correct form and pointed me towards the photocopy shop right next door.

You will need to take;

• Passport with TM card.

As I walked towards the copy shop a lovely young lady asked me if I want Photocopeeeeeey? I told her I wanted driver’s license…..OK….you hab passport…..Hab!…….you hab address?...... Hab!…she then said, motorcy or car….I said both…..she then repeated ‘boat’ as she took all my documents and walked away…no no no! car and motorcy I said…’both’…together …..one one…with a big smile and a laugh she was onto it, another lady came up and took my photo, 50baht each or 4 for 150. I needed 3 for the two applications.

• Two copies of your proof of residential address, for me it was the Blues condo book.

• 4 Mug shots.

Once back in the coolness of the immigration building, I filled out the required form, I could do all the easy things, name, DOB, passport number, visa number, but had a bit of trouble when it came to filling in the address so I went back to the main desk and told the lady I was not sure how to fill out all the blanks……the lady did it for me and once finished she then gave me a numbered card (705) and told me to wait for when my number is called.

Residency permit are at counter number 7, located on the right hand side of the room, right down the back and in the corner, I noticed that number 704 was up and it wasn’t long before my number was displayed and called. I met a very pleasant man who took all my paper work and sorted through it, then paper clipped a number on it all and one to my passport, charged me 400baht and told me to come back in half an hour. I was expecting to come back the next day.

There are a few places to eat or get a coffee or a beer on the immigration grounds, so I had a large Chang and deep fried moo to munch on while waiting. I walked back in to immigration after about 40 minutes, walked straight up to the desk number 7, the officer was just finishing up with another customer, I flashed my number and he retrieved my two ‘proof of Thailand address forms’, one for each license application, all too easy.

Driving on the way to the traffic (regent)……I stopped in at a random health clinic, told them I wanted medical for driving license, gave them my passport and one of my new residence certificates, they filled out a very official looking document, then asked me for 100 baht and I was away….very easy.

At the traffic I went across the road to the photo copy shop, again a very lovely young lady was at hand to help me, as I was getting two licenses, she explained that I have to have two applications so double up on the copies…….great…..31 baht.

You will need;

• Medical certificate.

• Passport and TM card.

• Proof of address.

Go through the main doors at traffic and up to the first floor, I got there just after 11:50, there wasn’t many people about, there is a service desk just as you enter the room on your right, I gave all my paper work to a guy on the desk, he sorted through it into two piles and made sure of what I wanted, renewal of motorcy and new car license, he then gave me a number (green 71) and I was told to sit and wait.

Wasn’t too long before all the greens cards were called (all farangs). The first test involved a lady with a stick pointing to different colours on a color-blind chart and you had to yell them out, green, yellow and red….. then testing your peripheral vision, which involved placing your face on a frame and a coloured light will come on each side, mine was green to the right and yellow to the left…..easy.

The third test was braking reaction, this involved putting your foot on an accelerator and wait until some red LED’s start to rise, the idea is to take your foot off the accelerator and slam it on the brake before the red LED’s reach a certain height, marked by a red line. The last test I would call testing your depth of field, a hand held controller with a button on it controls a little stick that moves towards you (in the same machine that the brake test was done) and you have to stop it when it lines up with another stationary stick, stop it somewhere near the other stick and you pass. You are then told to take a seat and your name will be called out…….once it is, you go up to a desk and receive you passport and international license back and all the forms, you take this to the cashier and I paid 360 baht and with your change you are given a number and told to wait in different seats.

My number was called and I sat in front of a camera where my photo was taken and my image was printed on both licenses there and then…..and that was it…I was even given my old motor cy licence back with two holes in it.

I was at immigration at 10:15 and I left the traffic office right on 13:30 with both my driver’s licenses….a very pleasant experience.

All up the whole procedure cost me under 1000 baht and 3 hours and 15 minutes.....

good luck.

You will need to take;

• Passport with TM card.

• 4 Mug shots.

You will need;

• Medical certificate.

• Passport and TM card.

• Proof of address.

good luck.

I thought that this link I provided earlier was enough info... but I guess not.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/114809-updated-info-wanted-for-motorbike-license/

I thought that this link I provided earlier was enough info... but I guess not.

:LMFAO:

:Oops5: I very sorry Khun nrvous :ThankGod1: Please forgive me