IGNORED

Pattaya Patpong on Steroids Book Review

Pattaya One

Pattaya-Patpong-on-Steroids-NEW-e-book-cAs the author of the book I cannot, obviously, write my own positive review. Well I could, but I happen to think the general readership of this website possess a higher than average level of intelligence and most would see straight through any attempt at some disingenuous third-party promotion. So, I shall simply take some of the many emails I’ve had over the years from people who have read the book, as well as one book review, and leave it at that.

Pattaya, Patpong on Steroids has received good reviews from foreign males and females alike since it first appeared in book form in March 2002.

The following is part of an email from Anna Chalk, an American lady, who sent an email to the editor of the Pattaya Trader. ‘I am writing as I would like you, please, to pass on a message to Duncan Stearn. I have only just discovered Pattaya, Patpong on Steroids and I love his writing style. I belong to a book club and put forward a Bill Bryson for last month. With his facts and funnies Duncan reminds me of Bill’s writing and I like his balanced view.’

American author Jesse Gump (Even Thai Girls Cry) wrote, ‘I finished Pattaya, Patpong on Steroids while I was in Bangkok. Very entertaining and informative. It confirmed many of my beliefs and opened my eyes to things Thai that I had often wondered about…it is one of those books that demands multiple readings.’

An Australian, Seamus Caplice, noted, ‘I bought your book...Patpong on Steroids from DC Thai and enjoyed reading it. For your marketing info the reason I bought it was the advertised reference to the 60-Minutes show.’

From Rick User, ‘I just finished reading your book Pattaya - Patpong on Steroids. Thanks for an enjoyable read, which brought back many memories and

images of the good times and feelings that I have, not only for Pattaya, but for Thailand as a whole.’

Finally, I was pleasantly surprised when I logged into Amazon, where the e-book version is for sale, and saw the following review by a K. Tucker of the Kindle Edition. ‘I've been reading a number of Kindle books of late on Thailand and Pattaya. This is the best one I've come across. He presents a lot of interesting material, and character study, making it a hard book to put down and I wish I could have read even more material by the author. He avoids bias and judgement, presenting what I believe to be an accurate portrayal of the characters involved. Seems like the best way to deal with and "understand" the Thai people is to first throw Western common sense, morals, and rationale out the window. Like most of Asia, the mindset is quite alien to what most of us have experienced in our sheltered worlds. When you are there, you are not in Kansas anymore and you need to be prepared. If you are, everything will be much more enjoyable. This book will help a lot.’

The following book review appeared in the Pattaya Trader magazine in April 2002. The review was by Scott Miller, an American expat who also became a close friend of mine. Sadly, he died suddenly just seven months later, aged only 49.

‘My first instinct was to complain about the obnoxious colour of the front cover and then to lambast the ‘behind’ photo on the back, but then again, both seem to compliment the title. After all, Pattaya IS loud, neon, shock and if you look deep enough, compassionate. This compilation of tales and tails is the latest in the on-going love affair that Aussie Duncan Stearn shares with Thailand and in particular, Pattaya.

I have always contended that Pattaya has more stories than the Empire State building and Baiyoke Towers combined. So let’s enter at ground level.

Many have come before and many will come after, but Duncan shoots from the hip and he is more than a confident shooter. His stories demonstrate his knowledge of the ways of Pattaya and Thailand. Each account into the lives of the bargirls offers depth beyond the tale. Each person has a face and a name and a past, present and maybe, an unexpected future.

More refreshing than the tales is the perspective Duncan Stearn applies to the characters. The bargirls of Pattaya are not born on a barstool, although many of their tales of woe- from the dead village buffalo to the sister’s motorcycle wreck- are products of time on that barstool. Duncan presents both sides of the baht coin and allows the reader to pass judgement. In a delicate balance between the ways of the Western and Asian worlds his stories toss philosophies against the moral wall. And the ensuing bounce is unpredictable. We’ve all heard similar versions of many of these tales, but not with the background and, often, the follow-up. Too often Westerners pass judgement on the nightlife in Pattaya without taking into consideration all perspectives.

Perhaps the most demanding question raised in this book is the line regarding the bargirls and their patrons: ‘Actually, who is the hunter and who is the hunted?’ There is a sense of respect for these demure, dark-skinned, raven-haired beauties. That’s the beauty of his presentation: both sides of the argument. The girls also have a voice.

The lives of the bargirls are the main attraction of this book but one cannot overlook the spectacular description from ‘Cockroach Soup’ to the ‘Bangkok Traffic’. Upon completion of most chapters I subconsciously thought, “Yep, been there, done that.” Again, the strength and appeal of the book is the conveyance of familiarity.

The book is written in a manner concurrent to today’s fleeting attention span. Each chapter is complete in its own right and it’s easy to pick up from your last reading. If you’ve walked Beach Road or any of the adjacent sois each chapter jogs your memory like a friendly tour guide. Duncan is more than a competent tour guide and his words read easy. Perhaps the brilliance is the stealth of his metaphors. For example: ‘Ever since the advent of the motor vehicle, the race that has given us Ferrari, Lamborghini and Maserati has ruled the world in vehicular discombobulation [my italics]’ when describing the Italians.

Most intriguing is the chapter entitled ‘The Ugly Australians’. An attempt at character assassination it explains an errant 60 Minutes television presentation in Australia. Anyone who has ever been misquoted or misled will immediately recognise these proceedings. Duncan sets the slates straight.

There is balance in Pattaya, although grey is the predominant colour. It’s too easy to be either black or white, it is grey that takes some explanation. Duncan Stearn steps in and out of the shadows like day and night, or, in a word that he often uses, the grey area is ubiquitous.’

The book is now out of print, but available as an e-book for just US$6.99 (about 200 baht) from Amazon, Smashwords, or Thailand’s leading on-line bookseller DCO http://ebooks.dco.co.th/pattaya/view_document/14-pattaya-patpong-on-steroids.html

InPattayaNow?d=yIl2AUoC8zA InPattayaNow?d=qj6IDK7rITs
nne4_CaYhTI

View the full article

• 8 years later...

Jesus...this thread is 9 years old and only found it. I have only just found this book at home and decided to read it, I thought I had misplaced it on a trip to Pattaya. So far it is a great book with lots of info for newbies. I am not a newbie but it is still very interesting.

R.I.P. Duncan Stearn.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png