IGNORED

Problems with Thai mobile phone

Jumpin Jack Flash

I bought a cheap PAYG phone in LOS on my last trip. It's a Samsung GT-E1080F model. Got the Happy DTAC SIM and some credit (350 TB I think). It was fine while I was there, and had plenty of credit left.

I thought I'd be using it again for my upcoming trip, but there's a lot of problems with it.

1. Battery is almost dead, and I can't charge it at home (it's a Thai 2 pin charger). I've tried searching for some kind of converter (2 pin to 3 pin mobile charger - is there such a thing?). I also bought a universal charger (USB connection with multiple sockets to fit all sizes of phones, ipods, etc). Waste of money - It doesn't fit my Samsung phone.

2. I received a text message from Happy saying they would terminate my number unless I refilled the balance. WTF ? I had balance left, and now it's gone.

3. I can't make calls or send texts anymore. Says "Not Allowed". Assume this is because my credit has vanished.

When I land at the airport, I want to use my phone right away. I don't want to waste time getting new SIM or buying credit etc (I remember the queue at the desk doing this last time).

Just wondering what the easiest/quickest way is to get a working mobile phone.

If there was such a thing as good-to-go Thai phone, loaded up with enough credit available on ebay, I'd buy it right now !!

Check on eBay for credit eg DTAC credit. The seller will provide details on how to reload.

This is normal for all (as far as I am aware) prepaid services. You can not expect them to hold your credit available indefinitely. It always has an expiry date.

You should have no problems finding a plug adapter for the charger. Just ask for one for a US plug.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Thanks for the link to the DTAC credit.

Re the plug adapter, I can't find any on ebay (not obvious to me anyway), but I found a worldwide travel adapter here

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/skross-travel-worldwide-adapter-with-usb-p9025.htm

Will this do the job?

Yep, very common for prepaid credit to disappear. The sim will also become invalid if not topped up. Usually when you topup the sms will tell you how long the credit is valid for. Scumbags suggestion for buying it on Ebay is a good one, or some nice BM might transfer you some. Can't help myself as I'm with True.

Why don't you just buy a new cheap charger from the UK? Or even a car charger sometimes they are cheaper. You would just have to match up the charging port. Micro USB or similar. Find it hard to believe there wouldn't be something available.

Thanks for the link to the DTAC credit.

Re the plug adapter, I can't find any on ebay (not obvious to me anyway), but I found a worldwide travel adapter here

http://www.mobilefun...h-usb-p9025.htm

Will this do the job?

This one is quite a bit cheaper: eBay UK

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

No, I don't need a standard travel plug (I have plenty of them already), I need something that converts the weird 2 pin end of my Thai mobile charger into a 3 pin, or USB (so0 I can plug into my laptop to charge). The 2 pins on my Thai mobile charger don't fit into the standard travel plug adapter - they're completely different size.

This one is quite a bit cheaper: eBay UK

This is the one you need. Plug your 'weird' Thai 2 pin into it, then plug into the wall. Whats the problem?

Failing that, take your phone to a big electronics shop and say you want a charger for it. Let them match something up.

No, I don't need a standard travel plug (I have plenty of them already), I need something that converts the weird 2 pin end of my Thai mobile charger into a 3 pin, or USB (so0 I can plug into my laptop to charge). The 2 pins on my Thai mobile charger don't fit into the standard travel plug adapter - they're completely different size.

Thais use the standard US plugs. If your charger does not fit a normal travel adapter then the one you posted isn't going to work either.

This cable should be OK to connect the phone to your computer to charge: USB cable I suggest this one as it appears to list your phone. It states that it is a micro-USB connection which is the standard connection for Samsung phones and a common plug.

Ahhh, I wasn't looking closely enough there. I thought it was a 3 pin to 2 pin adapter (which I have already) you were linking to. But it's a 2 pin to 3 pin adapter, and that's what I need, I think :Think1:

Apologies for my thickness, I'll get there in the end :GoldenSmile1:

You can extend your DTAC expiry date by 30/90/180 days just dial *113*(number of days 30/90/180)*9# ring, costs about 2/3bht per month

You can extend your DTAC expiry date by 30/90/180 days just dial *113*(number of days 30/90/180)*9# ring, costs about 2/3bht per month

Yes, it costs 2 Baht per 30 days. You can get up to one year validity.

I know, I saw that already. But it doesn't let me make any calls. "Not Allowed" :-(

I know, I saw that already. But it doesn't let me make any calls. "Not Allowed" :-(

Not rocket science but sure you need credit in the first place which I presume you don't. Write down all your contacts #1. Get yourself a charger #2. Get yourself some credit ebay. #3 Again whats the problem. They don't have Samsung chargers in the UK. As if! Tried to help but I'm done.

Finally got my USB phone charger and it works. :GoldenSmile1:

I also bought one of those Happy refills (300TB credit) from ebay and got the instructions emailed to me.

Seemed easy enough - just text some characters along with your activation code. But I'm still getting "Not Allowed".

The phone still works and is on the DTAC network (I still get text messages from them) but it's not letting me make calls or send texts, including a balance refill text. :Banghead2: Has anyone else seen this happen? What am I missing here?

Finally got my USB phone charger and it works. :GoldenSmile1:

I also bought one of those Happy refills (300TB credit) from ebay and got the instructions emailed to me.

Seemed easy enough - just text some characters along with your activation code. But I'm still getting "Not Allowed".

The phone still works and is on the DTAC network (I still get text messages from them) but it's not letting me make calls or send texts, including a balance refill text. :Banghead2: Has anyone else seen this happen? What am I missing here?

Is it possible your sim has expired therefore you cant add credit?

Can you type *101*9# and see your remaining credit - should read 0.00 baht valid until a certain date.

If still not working maybe get advice from the ebay seller.

Thanks for the replies. Just an update - the seller has offered to charge the phone for me (from Thailand), so I've sent him my number. I've asked him to email me when it's working. Still to hear back, but I expect I'll hear from him tomorrow.

I've been checking my phone to see if anything's changed but I'm still not allowed any calls or texts.

According to a text received previously, my SIM will be "terminated on 1st Nov" unless I refill the balance. That's not till Thursday (or Weds night 5pm GMT, if it's on the stroke of midnight in Thailand) so that shouldn't be the issue.

When I type *101*9# now I'm getting "No Network". Before I was getting "Not Allowed", so maybe some progress ?

Not sure. I'll wait to tomorrow, but that's the last chance to save this SIM.

Most Thai prepaids are not activated for International use. Before you leave Thailand you must call them to activate intl use.

I have 1-2-call. It expired after a while but returning to Thailand I could simply reactivate it and keep my number. It's an official service they offer to foreigners.

When I type *101*9# now I'm getting "No Network". Before I was getting "Not Allowed", so maybe some progress ?

No network doesn't sound good to be honest.

If your sim turns out to be dead, maybe buy a new one on ebay and send a text to those you want to contact with your new number. Anyway hope it works out ok.

The seller has emailed me saying he has now charged my phone, and attached a PDF with some text which says

Your transaction success. Thank you for using this service.

Your current balance is 609.09 Baht

valid until 30 November 2012 (in 31 days)

and Happy Bonus is 0.00 Baht

I've no reason to doubt that its worked but it's frustrating that I can't see anything yet on the phone.

I'm still getting "Not Allowed" messages. I guess I'll have to wait till I'm Thailand before it works. :unsure:

I'm guessing that the SIM does not have international roaming activated. I guess when you get here you need to get that sorted out and use the extension facility to active the SIM for 1 year before you leave.

Yeah, it looks like it's not set up for working outside of Thailand. Although yesterday I noticed it had "Vodafone UK" on the screen for a while. :Question:

I've never had to ask for a DTAC sim to be activated for outside Thailand as it's always done it automatically. However I've had problems picking up a signal before now and therefore the message not allowed etc comes up. Try using the phone in a different location for better signal and take the sim out and put back in again.

If your phone said Vodafone UK yesterday I assume the sim is still active, did you try checking your credit then?

I'm guessing that the SIM does not have international roaming activated. I guess when you get here you need to get that sorted out and use the extension facility to active the SIM for 1 year before you leave.

Thats what i'm thinking. I couldn't say if Roaming is activated automatically as when I took sims home I always activated it when I bought them. Forget the key code now but they usually come in the booklet.