IGNORED

Honda CRF-250 versus Kawasaki KLX-250

stillakid

Since the "new" Honda has been out for a few months now, I would like to hear about experiences members have had with it. The price I have seen recently is 152,500 baht. I do not know if the dealers will discount it at all.

What about a comparison with the Kawi? The Kawi is about 20,000 baht more. Is it worth the extra money?

There has been some speculation on another forum that the Kawi is stronger and perhaps better off-road than the Honda. Any comments?

Can the Honda be de-restricted like the Kawi to give a little better performance? How about getting an aftermarket pipe and adjusting the mixture for more power.

The Kawi sits a little lower (maybe 1 inch) so it is easier to sit flat footed when stopped. But then is the front and rear fork/shock travel the same for both bikes?

Does the Honda have any realtively new technology or is it just the same engine, transmission, frame and suspension from the last 5 or 10 years?

I sat on a CRF250L in the showroom on Sukhumvit. Price was B130,000 but the sales woman was babbling on about another B10,000 for something, I didn't try to clarify as I had already decided CRF was too tall for my legs. I think the Kawasaki is B150,000+

I have ridden a D Tracker 250 (similar to the KLX) and can just about get my feet down, the Honda felt a lot (2"+) taller, no way could I get my feet on the ground. The D Tracker has a very weak engine. I believe the CRF engine is based on the CBR250 so it may have a bit more go than the Kawasaki. The CRF looks to be very substantially built, it looks like it could take a considerable amount of off road abuse without breaking or bits falling off.

Does the CRF have a kickstarter ? as i believe the KLX is electric only ? Where is the honda bike showroom on Sukhumvit Rd, as i would like to take a look and compare them for myself.

................................ The D Tracker has a very weak engine. I believe the CRF engine is based on the CBR250 so it may have a bit more go than the Kawasaki. ....................

I didn't think Kawasaki had ever built a "weak" engine? :LOL2:

As you know, in its restricted form the KLX/DRX performance is piss poor, but de-restricted, up to 140 kph is more than enough for most of us round here. :GoldenSmile1:

Srey Lee-8-46.jpg

As you know, in its restricted form the KLX/DRX performance is piss poor, but de-restricted, up to 140 kph is more than enough for most of us round here. :GoldenSmile1:

Srey Lee-8-46.jpg

Weak as in underpowered not weak as in unreliable. IMHO a 250cc single in this day and age should have much more go than these Kwakers do.

Weak as in underpowered not weak as in unreliable. IMHO a 250cc single in this day and age should have much more go than these Kwakers do.

How are you measuring "go"?

What is the comparison between the CRF and the de-restricted KLX/DRX?

Maybe you are talking about power characteristics off road?

I try quite hard not to go off road and on the road I've never felt I needed more power from a 250.

Someone somewhere said :-

I've run both the CBR250R and Ninja250R back to back at BRC.

I felt the the Honda's suspension was crap and dangerous, that's how I know Honda can sell it for less than a Ninja.

The CBR does have a nice engine that will suit the CRF well, so I'm guessing the suspension will suffer.

It's nice to think positive, but Honda is not a bunch of idiots; they cut corners somewhere to justify this low price compared to a KLX250.

Honda must have tested every comparable dual sport 250 and realized the CRF is not as good or they would have equal or higher pricing.

Honda is a proud company, they charge a premium for many of their cars and bikes when its justified and sometimes when its not.

Honda knows the Yamaha WR250 is the best in class, then the KLX250 is good, so maybe they see themselves going after the low end of the reliable 250 DS market.

It's a pretty smart strategy if you ask me, they'll make a lot of money introducing many newbies to dual sport riding.

Let's hope I'm wrong and it performs better than its list price, but I'm a pessimist by nature.

It does look quite nice dressed up - just needs road tyres & wheels on it. :GoldenSmile1:

IMG_1006.jpg

I would lean toward the Kawasaki..All I have ever owned were damn good bikes...My Buddy wants me to buy a 250CC TATA from China...I think he is giving me some bad advice? About 85,000 Baht but I have heard little about this Bike...

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

How are you measuring "go"?

Torque mainly but I guess horsepower gets a look in too. I call it grunt, the the stuff that lifts the front wheel when you open the throttle.

Torque mainly but I guess horsepower gets a look in too. I call it grunt, the the stuff that lifts the front wheel when you open the throttle.

If you don't have a photo (of you doing it) then you know the rules - it never happened :LOL2:

The D-Tracker could do it if you sit far enough back I reckon :Think1: but the rear sprocket isn't the same size as the KLX and the real off roaders fit a different one again than stock.

You can get a Wave to do wheelies if you want.........and you sit back far enough. :hello09:

Torque.

Torque is defined as a force applied to a lever end about a central pivot point at some distance. Torque is often called "lever arm" and is a product of force x distance. For a given force, a longer lever arm makes it easier to move a resistive load. In the case of the motorcycle, the lever arm is actually the sprocket and the applied force is achieved through the pulling of the chain by the counter sprocket. As we increase the size of the rear sprocket, the final drive torque increases, making it easier for the engine to move the motorcycle, but the top speed is less. Also, if we reduce the size of the rear sprocket, final drive torque is reduced, but the top speed increases.

For wheelies you need torque, HP is almost irrelevant. My Duke is restricted to about 25hp! Not a lot for a big 600 (same engine and bike as the 900, different stroke) but getting the front wheel up by dropping the clutch is not difficult (it won't do it on throttle alone). No pictures I'm afraid and I won't be doing it again!

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

No expert but here on a trip in Laos and one of the guys just threw his new CRF in the dirt and snapped the gear change shaft just behind the spline... Kawa has pegs that fold back , this seems to be design fault/ flaw on the crf

No expert but here on a trip in Laos and one of the guys just threw his new CRF in the dirt and snapped the gear change shaft just behind the spline... Kawa has pegs that fold back , this seems to be design fault/ flaw on the crf

There's an article which includes the modification HERE

]

If you don't have a photo (of you doing it) then you know the rules - it never happened :LOL2:

The D-Tracker could do it if you sit far enough back I reckon :Think1: but the rear sprocket isn't the same size as the KLX and the real off roaders fit a different one again than stock.

You can get a Wave to do wheelies if you want.........and you sit back far enough. :hello09:

Torque.

Torque is defined as a force applied to a lever end about a central pivot point at some distance. Torque is often called "lever arm" and is a product of force x distance. For a given force, a longer lever arm makes it easier to move a resistive load. In the case of the motorcycle, the lever arm is actually the sprocket and the applied force is achieved through the pulling of the chain by the counter sprocket. As we increase the size of the rear sprocket, the final drive torque increases, making it easier for the engine to move the motorcycle, but the top speed is less. Also, if we reduce the size of the rear sprocket, final drive torque is reduced, but the top speed increases.

Dont know where that quote is from but the torque we like for getting wheels up comes from the crankshaft.

p159833_image_large.jpg

]

Dont know where that quote is from but the torque we like for getting wheels up comes from the crankshaft.

It comes from the crankshaft but it has to get to the wheel and the technical term used is "lever arm".

Are you saying that you think torque is unaffected by the gearing (sprocket ratio)?

Anyway - HERE

I had a D- tracer for 4 years, it has been at the workshop for 6 weeks now, it's shite, wait wait,,, part mai mi stock is what they say...

Before it broke down I filled up the tank in a petrol station on the back side of Ban Chang, after 10 minute, I FELT WTF, I did 160 on Sukumvit,,, Normaly it stops at 148, I don't know what they put on my tank, but fuck, fast as fuck, but as I came to upside jomtien it just said pang, and it stopped, smoke came out everywhere. ,,,, so now I have a rented one...

I had a D- tracer for 4 years, it has been at the workshop for 6 weeks now, it's shite, wait wait,,, part mai mi stock is what they say...

Before it broke down I filled up the tank in a petrol station on the back side of Ban Chang, after 10 minute, I FELT WTF, I did 160 on Sukumvit,,, Normaly it stops at 148, I don't know what they put on my tank, but fuck, fast as fuck, but as I came to upside jomtien it just said pang, and it stopped, smoke came out everywhere. ,,,, so now I have a rented one...

One(?) careful owner :LOL2:

Reckon you could have got a 300cc engine or 330 kit over by now.

Where's gogo gone? I want to see those pics of him pulling wheelies.......3rd reserve.jpg

Wheelies are for squidley squirrels and squirrley squids.

I got a Busa and I would rather accelerate with the front tire 1" off the ground.

That's 1 inch, not 1 centimeter.

I sat on a CRF250L in the showroom on Sukhumvit. Price was B130,000 but the sales woman was babbling on about another B10,000 for something, I didn't try to clarify as I had already decided CRF was too tall for my legs. I think the Kawasaki is B150,000+

I have ridden a D Tracker 250 (similar to the KLX) and can just about get my feet down, the Honda felt a lot (2"+) taller, no way could I get my feet on the ground. The D Tracker has a very weak engine. I believe the CRF engine is based on the CBR250 so it may have a bit more go than the Kawasaki. The CRF looks to be very substantially built, it looks like it could take a considerable amount of off road abuse without breaking or bits falling off.

d-tracker 125 for you son!

niether are "real offroad" but are great for thailands normal rds, because of crappy workmanship and heavy rains, pot holes appear anytime and everywhere and those bikes handle them well.

Member since Dec 06.

Srey Lee-8-46.jpg

Unfortunately, athough Kawi is an engine company , the 250cc Kxx engines have aways been down on power. very reliable and perfect for punting around crappy thai rds though.

Back in the mid 90s I had a Mint one of these 1981 mod, handled great but fck it was slow

KLX_3.jpg

My 82 Honda XR 200 is faster

Member since Dec 06.

Unfortunately, although Kawi is an engine company , the 250cc Kxx engines have aways been down on power. very reliable and perfect for punting around crappy thai rds though.

I don't know about the KX (?) but in Thailand we get the KLX and the DRX (D-Tracker) - same engine.

For emission control purposes they come from the factory with the first 3 gears standard, but 4th, 5th and 6th electronically restricted.

I forget all the numbers off hand, but de-restriction is quite straightforward, albeit warranty busting.

Read up on GT-Riders for the best information.

The gearing/sprocket size on the two bikes is different for different purposes so the characteristics are completely different.

Mine is the DRX (de-restricted) and will reach 140+kph.

As far as wheelies are concerned, I don't believe those with de-restricted KLXs have problems pulling them at will. Even my high geared D-Tracker will if necessary.

The Kawasaki 250 in standard form is undoubtedly frustrating.

I'm not saying which of these bikes is best because I don't know, but there is a significant price difference remember.

What I am saying is that anyone saying that the Kawa 250 engine has a power problem has either only ridden a de-restricted one, or has not ridden a de-restricted one in anger, or they're talking out of their exhaust. :GoldenSmile1: .

• 3 weeks later...

d-tracker 125 for you son!

niether are "real offroad" but are great for thailands normal rds, because of crappy workmanship and heavy rains, pot holes appear anytime and everywhere and those bikes handle them well.

Will that frame take a KTM 690 motor? :)

Will that frame take a KTM 690 motor? :)

I know you're kidding of course.

From my experience of riding Dom's KLX 125, it is a joke and bears no resemblance to the 250s in terms of build quality and general substance.

690cc :LOL2: