IGNORED

Paying a Hotel

whitespider - RIP

Any Visa or mastercard issued card has global fraud cover, each bank has to agree to this before they get a licence to issue cards

That's correct. :ThumbDown1: I never had any problems using my credit card though. But I wouldn't pay in front if it's the first time in a hotel and if you're not sure if you'll be happy about the room.

Last time I paid in front in Jasmine Mansion, but after a week there were works going on in the street whole night long. The noise was incredible and was lucky to get a room at the back for a night. At that time I regret I had paid them in front, so I'll never ever do that again!

never had a problem using my credit card (hotel payment only) in thailand, anyway fraudulent transaction will be refunded by the credit card company.

I have never had a problem with using a credit for hotels and Duty free in Thailand . And yes they do charge an extra 3 % surcharge to the bill at some hotels . Here in Australia credit card surcharge is charged to you if you pay your Utilities.

As to paying up front for your hotel online its cheaper I do it all the time here in Australia; and also when I initially travel to Bangkok for acouple of night s (plane get's in late.) But it does help knowning your hotel and where it is in relation to the action.

Its good to have a credit card, years back I booked on line (I think Asia Rooms not direct with the hotel itself) the Areca Lodge hotel for seven nights

I liked the hotel a lot especially the pool which was large enough to laps, I went to reception and asked to extend my stay. The receptionist told me she could not do as the hotel was fully booked . Having remembered what a Previous BM did on this occasion I went on line on the internet at the hotel and rebooked a further seven days on the web site that I originally made my booking with. I print out the confirmation and handed it to the receptionist and I did not even have to change my room. So it does help to have a credit card sometimes.

As to traveller cheques never use them . You have to pay for them at home to get them ,then you are charged for cashing them in Thailand with a bank charge and a government tax.

I now just bring some Thai babt for The Taxis and first two nights plus some ozzie cash, for reserve all the rest I just get my money from the Local ATM's never had a problem.

• 1 month later...

I have always paid with my debit card and had no problems then again i have also stayed at the same hotel ,this is food for thought though and if i change hotel i will consider paying cash. Thanks for the info

John... you're immortal; Bill Shankly said to Jock Stein after Celtic won the European Cup May 25th 1967.

• 1 month later...

Yes credit card skimming is now an international problem, not just Thailand. I now only use a Debit Card linked to MasterCard overseas. I know exactly how much cash I have on the card ($300 to $500 only) and just top it up on-line as I travel so any illegal access is limited. I use this card for on-line purchases too no matter what country I am buying from.

5 times in EASTINY hotel in Soi 7 , i just made the reservation via an email nothing more

and i always payed in the hotel with credit card and never had a problem

try the ferdinand soi buckhow you wont have any problems they ony accept cash owned by alex whos danish very nice bloke and trusting been there many times

marching on together super leeds

Its better to pay for first cuple of days, because all the hotels will ask you pay the rent before you checkin. Its easy for you to chnage the hotel if you didnt like it.

BoomBoom

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/&clickLABEL=Time to go back&flashLABEL=Vacation End&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/skins/30.jpg&text=%20Back to Cage%21%21&untilColor=6724095&textColor=0&datesColor=0&year=2010&month=4&day=09&hour=12&minute=00&second=0&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="">Dragon gets back into the cage</a></small></center>

Secondly - watch out for the 3% or sometimes even 5% they try to add on if you pay by credit card. It is illegal to add this surcharge in Thailand but of course they do have to pay the CC company so they use it to try to get you to pay cash. If you are asked for this just refuse to pay it. If necessary tell them you will call the tourist police - best avoided if you want to go back again. Just be firm - its a total scam and you do NOT have topay. If they "advertise" that they accept credit cards then they must accept your offer of payment WITHOUT adding the surcharge.

A little argument shouldn't spoil the holiday if you remember to pay when you LEAVE.

Just found this thread..wish i'd found it earlier! I have been stung for the 4% CC charge on several occassions (more fool me). I did not know this surcharge was illegal.. This is very interesting..thanks for the info whitespider...can anyone confirm this is still the case?

" Hate The Sin..Love the Sinner!!"

"God gave man both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same timeâ€

• 2 weeks later...

You really need to check with the hotel beforehand to see if they add the surcharge. I have stayed in hotels in BKK and paid with a credit via a web site and have never been charged extra. In fact the room rate from these sites have been cheaper than the price advertised on the hotel's own website. In Pattaya the places I stay only accept cash so the surcharge is not relevant.