not at home

Couple of Questions please

not at home

How does one go about getting a Multi Entry Visa for Cambodia or a Residents Visa?

Also how about getting a moto bike License,difficult?

I tried the Search Function but got no results,any help would be appreciated.

Edge

How does one go about getting a Multi Entry Visa for Cambodia or a Residents Visa?

BM rddpp has covered that one HERE

Basically you need to go in on a one month Business Visa (obtainable at entry point, not e-visa) then extend it once you're there.

rddpp

BM rddpp has covered it HERE

Basically you need to go in on a one month Business Visa (obtainable at entry point, not e-visa) then extend it once you're there.

Very restrained my friend..

A 12 month motor bike license costs around $35 and is obtainable from Lucky Moto Shop on Monivong.. walk in with your current countries license (car or bike), the cash and you will have your license in a week or so.

I've been driving around for 6 years, been stopped numerous times and NEVER been asked for a license. I do carry my Australian car license with me and would show them that.. nobody is going to understand and providing you haven't done something blatently wrong, a $ in the palm of the cop generally gets you mobile again quickly.

Lets do the math.. 3 x $1 bribes over 6 years = $3

6 x $35 license over 6 years - $210

Why would you bother?

Edge

Very restraned my friend..

nice thoughts pink.jpg

Why would you bother?

Your maths are indisputable.

I may be unlucky, or it may be because my bike is bright green, but whereas I've had no problems the twice I've ridden into PP, the story has been somewhat different in Sihanoukville and getting worse.

Riding in from Thailand, the SV BiB now know that if you came in via Koh Kong you cannot have a Temporary Import Permit (AFAIK only Poipet issue them) so strike # 1.

They also now know all about International Driving Permits (maybe the Thai BiB told them) and if you haven't got one with your home DL, it's strike # 2

....unless of course you've got a Cambodian DL.

IDPs are only about $8, so I got one of those. The trouble in SV is that if you're staying a few days it can add up and it's a PITA.

Apart from the usual stops near Golden Lions and up into town, they also set up Thai style check points outside town near the factory and perhaps elsewhere.

rddpp

I dont go to S'ville much as you know, but every time I do go I put my moto on the bus and ride it there. It's worth the cost just to piss the motodops off when you ignore them at the bus station and then hop onto your own bike,

That being said, again I have never been stopped there despite running through many red light and helmet blockades. Maybe I've been lucky!! I never run red lights or forget my helmet in S'ville though.

You know I drive to Prey Veng on a regualr basis and run though at least 2 or 3 road checkpoints both ways, the worst I've had is 1 cop point out as I drove past I had my lights on, as he smiled and saluted me. Maybe I've been very lucky (or just have a friendly face).

SSSS
I may be unlucky, or it may be because my bike is bright green, but whereas I've had no problems the twice I've ridden into PP, the story has been somewhat different in Sihanoukville and getting worse.

Edge....you've got it right about driver's license enforcement in S'ville. Regarding luck.......one would have to be lucky NOT to have problems for reasons of driving without a helmet, proper Cambodian driver's license, annual registration and proper ownership documentation.

In Cambodia, one can operate a car or moto bike 125cc and less under the same license. However, as in my case, if one intends to operate a motor bike greater than 125cc one must obtain a motorcycle license and show proof of a foreign motorcycle license before a license will be granted. In my case, they did accept a motorcycle permit, but I had to pay an extra $50.

Regarding rddpp, he has been lucky....so far, in Phnom Penh. He has been operating his 125cc motor bike using his foreign driver's license. He has also been lucky they have not confiscated his foreign driver's license....maybe because there was no traffic infraction. That being said, I would suggest anyone operating a vehicle using their foreign driver's license make and possess a plastic copy driver's license and leave the original at home.

Unlike rrdpp, it has been my experience in Phnom Penh and S'ville the police have asked me for all pertinent documentation.

SSSS

rddpp

You have just upsized my bike by 10cc, actually it's a 115.

I've been stopped many times and I have the tax sticker, my helmet and lights off..nothing for them to GET me on. I've said it in my main thread, the attitude of the police here in PP altered around 4 years ago, since that I've been stopped 2 times, once I did a right against the red light (as everyone does) and that cost me $1 and the other time, they looked at my tax sticker, my helmet, lights and waved me on.

Luck?, not so sure

SSSS

Well....I have been asked every time. So go figure.

SSSS

rddpp

Maybe you look rich on your expensive bike and I look poor on my beat up Nouvo.. sympathy!!

SSSS

Maybe you look rich on your expensive bike and I look poor on my beat up Nouvo.. sympathy!!

Mate......you know full well, in the eyes of Khmer, there is no poor barang in Cambodia.

SSSS

Edited by SSSS

rddpp

Mate......you know full well, in the eyes of Khmer, there is no poor barang Cambodia.

SSSS

True, BUT I did notice a shift in the attitude of the police here in PP around 4 years ago. If a Khmer had done something wrong.. say lights were on.. and me travelling together, they would actually pull up the Khmer rather than just randomly pull me over as I have a white face. I suppose thats what I was trying to get across, the days of just getting tea money have gone and if you are actually doing something wrong, you pay (and thats fair enough).

I think Edge is correct in saying the police are a lot more agressive in S'ville than here but they never bothered me as I didn't do anything wrong. Maybe I have been lucky, but even paying $2 or $3 is still better than buying a $35 licence.

Edge

I think Edge is correct in saying the police are a lot more agressive in S'ville than here but they never bothered me as I didn't do anything wrong. Maybe I have been lucky, but even paying $2 or $3 is still better than buying a $35 licence.

I may not be typical as my current bike is bright green and I wear a fluorescent orange helmet (always).

d-tracker.jpg

When I came in on the scoot I wasn't legal, but I blended in perhaps and got stopped only once in SV and not at all in PP.

Another give away, once stopped, is that I have Thai plates of course.

Once they've got me on their 'radar' I'm an easy mark.

One time I came in via Koh Kong without a Temporary Import Licence and El Capitaine at SV worked me over well and truly.

Unlike his minions, he did have a radio (maybe it didn't work) and was set to call up a truck to impound my bike, saying it could take 2-3 weeks to sort out and I could get a $1500 bill/fine for evaded import duty.

I also only had my UK DL and a Thai DL - no IDP.

He lightened my wallet by something like Tizio's ST chicken farm budget for a week or more.

When I came in via Poipet down through Batambang to PP I saw BiB but had no problems at all.

When I went down to SV I got stopped in a check point near the factory and he was most upset to find that all my paperwork was correct.

As a passing shot, he said I couldn't ride a bike with Thai plates in Cambodia, at which point I laughed, put my helmet on and rode off.

I got stopped twice more in town but no fines.

SV is the pits for bike riders, especially if they come in via Koh Kong. Apparently you're allowed in to KK province only, but no-one tells you that.

I asked some Harley guys I know who go there regularly how they deal with it. They said they pay a certain lady in blue $5 a day for each bike and they get free passage.

Some will say he was bluffing or whatever, but it was no fun at all.

SSSS

Well Mate.......for this reason alone I have decided to keep all the legalities air tight. I don't want to chance some Khmer police officer riding away on my Honda SL 230 to be impounded or even never to be seen again. You know Khmer's foam at the mouth wanting this bike. Therefore, I will pay the $35 annual fee just for piece of mind and chalk it up to the price of living here. JMO of course.

SSSS

rddpp

I'm not disputing that it would be clever to actually have a licence, actually dumb not to have one, I'm just saying that in all the years (and lets face it, I would do 20X the kms you do) that I am still yet to be asked for one.

It's something I should rectify but have never got around to.

Personally I prefer my bike as it's a lot more practical around town, but yes, the trend over the years is for the younger Khmers to try and ride those bigger bikes like yours.

And my love of S'ville sees me pretty well never going there now but I am agreeing with Edge that the police there will be more trouble than in PP.. especially if you have Thai plates and not the correct paperwork.

not at home

Very restrained my friend..

A 12 month motor bike license costs around $35 and is obtainable from Lucky Moto Shop on Monivong.. walk in with your current countries license (car or bike), the cash and you will have your license in a week or so.

I've been driving around for 6 years, been stopped numerous times and NEVER been asked for a license. I do carry my Australian car license with me and would show them that.. nobody is going to understand and providing you haven't done something blatently wrong, a $ in the palm of the cop generally gets you mobile again quickly.

Why would you bother?

I appreciate what you tell me its just that I didnt want to leave myself open to the Police when I eventually move over there,as at present in Thailand its at the moment the Polices favourite way of extracting their tea-money from you,I have a Thai Licence but when I am stopped I have my UK Library Card in the moto bike and tell them its my International Driving Licence,as my Thai Licence I keep in the car,but thanks for your input I think I will do without it (Cambodian)after reading what you suggested and just carry something else,thanks

Edge

......................I think I will do without it (Cambodian)after reading what you suggested and just carry something else,thanks

There is an element of luck as to who stops you and in what circumstances (eg accident).

Most of the times I was stopped whilst illegal (in SV) a UK DL and a Thai DL were not good enough so I doubt that a Library Card would have worked.

They do know what an IDP looks like.

If you have a Thai DL, one solution would be to go to Chonburi and get a Thai IDP to go with it.

Then you are legal and that IDP might even impress them more than a non Asian one.

rddpp

I have a Thai Licence but when I am stopped I have my UK Library Card in the moto bike and tell them its my International Driving Licence,as my Thai Licence I keep in the car,but thanks for your input I think I will do without it (Cambodian)after reading what you suggested and just carry something else,thanks

Brilliant!!

If you intend to move over here permantely then I think you would be well advised to pay the $35 a year and have a Cambodian drivers licence. Easy to get ...

If you are intending to visit from time to time, then Edges suggestion is what I would do. I remember when I drove a car in Thailand for about 5 years, I had an Australian IDL ($40 worth a year mind you), bought 1 and just carried it around for the 5 years. Yes I was stopped a few times, the Thai cops looked at the picture.. yeah thats you, my Australian drivers licence, yeah thats you and waved me on. The expiry date was on the back page in small print and they had no clue where to look.

I apologise for SSSS and me bantering a bit, we are best friends and rib each other from time to time but we did realise you were asking a serious question, which hopefully got answered to your satisfaction.

Enjoy Cambodia when you get here!!

not at home

There is an element of luck as to who stops you and in what circumstances (eg accident).

Most of the times I was stopped whilst illegal (in SV) a UK DL and a Thai DL were not good enough so I doubt that a Library Card would have worked.

They do know what an IDP looks like.

If you have a Thai DL, one solution would be to go to Chonburi and get a Thai IDP to go with it.

Then you are legal and that IDP might even impress them more than a non Asian one.

Thanks also for your help and Information,the reason I used my Library Card was because it looked very Official with Photo on it and fortunately I havent found or been stopped by a Thai Policeman who can read English,I will probaly look in to a Thai IDP but it will have to be in Bangkok or somewhere nearer Home as I dont live in or near Pattaya,once again thanks for your help and Info.

not at home

Brilliant!!

If you intend to move over here permantely then I think you would be well advised to pay the $35 a year and have a Cambodian drivers licence. Easy to get ...

If you are intending to visit from time to time, then Edges suggestion is what I would do. I remember when I drove a car in Thailand for about 5 years, I had an Australian IDL ($40 worth a year mind you), bought 1 and just carried it around for the 5 years. Yes I was stopped a few times, the Thai cops looked at the picture.. yeah thats you, my Australian drivers licence, yeah thats you and waved me on. The expiry date was on the back page in small print and they had no clue where to look.

I apologise for SSSS and me bantering a bit, we are best friends and rib each other from time to time but we did realise you were asking a serious question, which hopefully got answered to your satisfaction.

Enjoy Cambodia when you get here!!

It was suggested by Edge to get a Thai IDP I might do this first off and see what happens,no problems with you and SSSS bantering on better to have some banter and fun rather than getting slagged off as some folks seem to enjoy doing,yes I am quite clear now that my question was answered and cleared up the negative thoughts I had about driving over there,thanks for your help and input.

Edge

................................... fortunately I havent found or been stopped by a Thai Policeman who can read English,I will probaly look in to a Thai IDP but it will have to be in Bangkok or somewhere nearer Home as I dont live in or near Pattaya,once again thanks for your help and Info.

I'm not sure they can/do all read the IDPs either, but increasingly they can find their way around your Home DL to see whether you have the m/c category since they adopted the same format.

Re' Thai IDP, I should stress that the only issuing Traffic Office I know of is at Chonburi - I don't know about Bangkok, but certainly Eastern (Pattaya) don't issue them.

The cost is 500 Baht I believe, which covers both categories if you have them.

....................no problems with you and SSSS bantering on better to have some banter and fun ..........................

Sometimes we forget that any post bumps the thread back to the top and thus brings the information in it to the attention of more BMs.

james747

even with a license you will still get a fine in sihanoukville.

best way is camo yourself with long sleeve shirt- not white t-shirt which only barang wear and make you visible a long way away- a krama over your face to hide your sildinafil red head.

ya kinda blend in this way

stick to the inside lanes in target areas ( eakareach) and try to drive behind a truck or car so they cannot step out in front of you.

if they do step out just aim behind them and slow down- when they drop their guard just blow by.

They don't chase you in sihanoukville but i bet they do in PP.

never been caught yet, but one cop smacked my mirror with his torch- he was laughing though.

They usually finish work by 11 a.m. anyway.

rddpp

even with a license you will still get a fine in sihanoukville.

best way is camo yourself with long sleeve shirt- not white t-shirt which only barang wear and make you visible a long way away- a krama over your face to hide your sildinafil red head.

ya kinda blend in this way

stick to the inside lanes in target areas ( eakareach) and try to drive behind a truck or car so they cannot step out in front of you.

if they do step out just aim behind them and slow down- when they drop their guard just blow by.

They don't chase you in sihanoukville but i bet they do in PP.

never been caught yet, but one cop smacked my mirror with his torch- he was laughing though.

They usually finish work by 11 a.m. anyway.

Nah, they dont chase in PP either and known places they hang out in, yeah, stick to the middle of the road. I've driven around probably 10 cops trying to stop me (maybe why I dont get stopped often), I once had one throw a fist at me that grazed my arm.

But they can get nasty.. was in a tuk tuk going to the airport once and a school girl tried to ride around a cop trying get het to stop. She didn't quite make it as 2 cops literally pushed her bike over and she went sprawling on the ground.. hopefully not too badly injured.

james747

hehe- kind of fun in an adolescent way.

also- if you do get stopped take the key out quick and pocket it, and make sure you have a spare one too if possible- thisw way when they turn their back you just ride away.

and of course- make sure you only have riel 4000 in your wallet and the rest of your money stashed in case they actually catch you.

honestly though- if you dodge them it is quite ok

ain't no hangin' matter

it's no capital crime my friend.......

SSSS

rddpp & james747.......

What are you two guys.........Bonnie and Clyde wanna-be's?

SSSS

Edge

rddpp & james747.......

What are you two guys.........Bonnie and Clyde wanna-be's?

SSSS

Or maybe just Tizio & Clyde ? :hello09: