Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

moto and car thai driving licence lost

rkko

hi all ; since 1 year , i always say i will do it next time ---

so , i just want to know how to get a new licence

i have to go to soi 9 police station then to regent school ?

how long , i have to wait ( at school ) ?

thank you

if i remember correctly you need a non - immigrant visa to get or renew thai driving license.

this has maybe changed but when i applied for mines this what i needed to show.

if you lost your thai license im not sure how it works though, if it was a one year license you had and it has since expired i believ you will need to apply for a whole new licnse with the non immigrant visa and proof of residense you get from immigration.

as i not entirly sure if this is correct so i hope it helps

In pattaya you can get a 1 year provisional license. You go to Soi 5 Immigration to get your residency permit(s) (1 for bike, 1 for car if you want both licenses). The LTO (location where you get your license) is NEAR the Regent School but it isn't the same building. Figure it will take you all day. If you just need the bike license and you have a valid IDP or motorcycle notation on your foreign (english language) license, you may only need to be there 2-3 hours instead of 6-7 (including lunch). You really need to get ther by 8-8:45AM. Getting there at 10am may result in needing to come back another day depending on how many foreigners are there that day.

Here is a web site with a practice test. Note some of these questions are on the test (verbatum).

(paste this into your browser)

apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf

Here is some very detailed notes:

http://www.pattaya-a...se#entry1814785

Edited by nrvous

Figure it will take you all day

SHIT !!! yes i need motorcycle only . i come with a tourist visa but i own a motorbike in my ownname on green book .

+ i have a new passport ( with differnet number ) since 2012.

so you mean i have to go to immigration to get residency permit ( 200 baths if i remember) then fill form and come the next day atr immigration + regent school ?

don't need to go to soi 9 ?OH MISUNDERSTOOD . I HAVE ALREEADY A THAI LICENCE BUT I LOST IT 1 YEAR AGO I JUST NEED TO KNOW if i go to soi 9 to tell my licences are lost and then to regent school ? is it like this i have to do ?

If you lost you licens you have to report it lost to Police before going to Transport Department close to regent school.

In Pattaya you dont need non immigratn visa to get licens, but without it you only get licens for 1 year each time, with non immigrant you get it for 5 year the second time. (Everybody only get it for 1 year the first time, Thai's also).

I got mine for car and bike for 5 year on a normal arrival stamp, but that was not in Pattaya.

Several friends have tried in Pattaya, but they only give 1 year licens for tourists latly.

srt10 thank you , also i was thinking a 60 days visa was not enough for a 5 years licence . anyway i ve been stopped by police close to railway

between sukumvit and kao noi with a licence expired once u got a licence even expired police is quite nice with u plus if u speak thai a bit . ihad some problems drunk --- my licence saved me a few time believe it or not but it is true

You will need to report that the licience is lost at a police station, they will give you a piece of paper which you need to take to immigration. You will also need a medical certificate from a doctor this costs about 150 Bt. You need to take these documents along with others in previos replies to immigration. Getting the licience is pretty straight forward only the usual waiting time for me it was 1 hour must have timed it just right at about 12.30. If you do not have to take the driving and written part of the test the, rest is basic which everyone has to do. Colour blindness etc. you should sail through it. First time is one year second time is 5 years. Good luck

Every one who is getting a new license and is taking the driving test turns up before 10am so it is very busy then. I would suggest turning up at about 2:30pm and you will be out of there in about an hour if renewing or less if it is just replacing your lost license. BTW you never said if it was a one year or five year license but are implying it is a one year.

Taoism: sh*t happens

Buddhism: if sh*t happens, it isn't really sh*t

Islam: if sh*t happens, it is the will of Allah

Catholicism: if sh*t happens, you deserve it

Judaism: why does this sh*t always happen to us?

Atheism: I don't believe this sh*t

Hi Rkko,

This will be the third time I have applied for a driver’s license and this time it was even easier, I had a motor cy renewal and a new car drivers license to get.

First thing you will need is a letter from Immigration certifying your current address in Thailand. The immigration office can be found in Jomtein soi 5, from beach road about ¾ the way up soi 5 and on the right. Easy to find, don’t go too early as it is a bit of a shit fight with all the early birds fighting for position, I got there at 10:15 and told the guy at the desk that I wanted a driver’s license, he gave me the correct form and pointed me towards the photocopy shop right next door.

You will need to take;

• Passport with TM card.

• Rental agreement or Blue condo book, proof of address in Thailand.

As I walked towards the copy shop a lovely young lady asked me if I want Photocopeeeeeey? I told her I wanted driver’s license…..OK….you hab passport…..Hab!…….you hab address?...... Hab!…she then said, motorcy or car….I said both…..she then repeated ‘boat’ as she took all my documents and walked away…no no no! car and motorcy I said…’both’…together …..one one…with a big smile and a laugh she was onto it, another lady came up and took my photo, 50baht each or 4 for 150. I needed 3 for the two applications.

What you will leave with;

• Two copies of your passport face page.

• Two copies of your visa and TM card.

• Two copies of your proof of residential address, for me it was the Blues condo book.

• 4 Mug shots.

Once back in the coolness of the immigration building, I filled out the required form, I could do all the easy things, name, DOB, passport number, visa number, but had a bit of trouble when it came to filling in the address so I went back to the main desk and told the lady I was not sure how to fill out all the blanks……the lady did it for me and once finished she then gave me a numbered card (705) and told me to wait for when my number is called.

Residency permit are at counter number 7, located on the right hand side of the room, right down the back and in the corner, I noticed that number 704 was up and it wasn’t long before my number was displayed and called. I met a very pleasant man who took all my paper work and sorted through it, then paper clipped a number on it all and one to my passport, charged me 400baht and told me to come back in half an hour. I was expecting to come back the next day.

There are a few places to eat or get a coffee or a beer on the immigration grounds, so I had a large Chang and deep fried moo to munch on while waiting. I walked back in to immigration after about 40 minutes, walked straight up to the desk number 7, the officer was just finishing up with another customer, I flashed my number and he retrieved my two ‘proof of Thailand address forms’, one for each license application, all too easy.

Driving on the way to the traffic (regent)……I stopped in at a random health clinic, told them I wanted medical for driving license, gave them my passport and one of my new residence certificates, they filled out a very official looking document, then asked me for 100 baht and I was away….very easy.

At the traffic I went across the road to the photo copy shop, again a very lovely young lady was at hand to help me, as I was getting two licenses, she explained that I have to have two applications so double up on the copies…….great…..31 baht.

You will need;

• Medical certificate.

• Your original countries drivers’ license or international driver’s license.

• Passport and TM card.

• Proof of address.

• Old Thailand license to be renewed.

All these were photo copied twice, no mug shot is required.

Go through the main doors at traffic and up to the first floor, I got there just after 11:50, there wasn’t many people about, there is a service desk just as you enter the room on your right, I gave all my paper work to a guy on the desk, he sorted through it into two piles and made sure of what I wanted, renewal of motorcy and new car license, he then gave me a number (green 71) and I was told to sit and wait.

Wasn’t too long before all the greens cards were called (all farangs). The first test involved a lady with a stick pointing to different colours on a color-blind chart and you had to yell them out, green, yellow and red….. then testing your peripheral vision, which involved placing your face on a frame and a coloured light will come on each side, mine was green to the right and yellow to the left…..easy.

The third test was braking reaction, this involved putting your foot on an accelerator and wait until some red LED’s start to rise, the idea is to take your foot off the accelerator and slam it on the brake before the red LED’s reach a certain height, marked by a red line. The last test I would call testing your depth of field, a hand held controller with a button on it controls a little stick that moves towards you (in the same machine that the brake test was done) and you have to stop it when it lines up with another stationary stick, stop it somewhere near the other stick and you pass. You are then told to take a seat and your name will be called out…….once it is, you go up to a desk and receive you passport and international license back and all the forms, you take this to the cashier and I paid 360 baht and with your change you are given a number and told to wait in different seats.

My number was called and I sat in front of a camera where my photo was taken and my image was printed on both licenses there and then…..and that was it…I was even given my old motor cy licence back with two holes in it.

I was at immigration at 10:15 and I left the traffic office right on 13:30 with both my driver’s licenses….a very pleasant experience.

All up the whole procedure cost me under 1000 baht and 3 hours and 15 minutes.....

good luck.