IGNORED

Durable Digital Camera

dimples

Anyone have any good suggestions on a good durable digital camera?

I manage to break one every other trip... the last being new years eve 2007. I even had it kept safely in a padded belt pouch thing.

My old camera

Canon PowerShot SD30 (3months old)

12052-13006.jpg

I have an Olympus 720SW which is shock(1.5m fall) and water proof(3m).I take it swimming/boating and it gets dropped fairly regularly.No problems so far.And with7.1 megapixels available it shoots good pictures.

Pentax makes a couple models that are shock and waterproof

I have an Olympus 720SW which is shock(1.5m fall) and water proof(3m).I take it swimming/boating and it gets dropped fairly regularly.No problems so far.And with7.1 megapixels available it shoots good pictures.

Thanks for the advice,Just been looking at this:

OLYMPUS CAMERA MJU750 / DIGITAL, 7.1 M.P., 5X OPTICAL/5.6X DIGITALZOOM, 2.5"LCD SCREEN, 17MB BUILT-IN MEMORY, LI-ION BATTERY WITH CHARGER

12165-13002.gif

theres only one left in the PX at 299euro/$386USD

Think the weatherproof option may be handy as well as gets pretty dusty aswell

Think your right especially as i'll be there for Songkran next time, was put off by alot of the reviews but a working camera is better than a broken one.

And i'm no David Bellamy

Thanks

Thanks for the advice,Just been looking at this:

OLYMPUS CAMERA MJU750 / DIGITAL, 7.1 M.P., 5X OPTICAL/5.6X DIGITALZOOM, 2.5"LCD SCREEN, 17MB BUILT-IN MEMORY, LI-ION BATTERY WITH CHARGER

12485-12967.gif

theres only one left in the PX at 299euro/$386USD

Think the weatherproof option may be handy as well as gets pretty dusty aswell

I have same same good camera.

I manage to break one every other trip... the last being new years eve 2007. I even had it kept safely in a padded belt pouch thing.

My old camera

14425-12657.jpg

The Panasonic Lumix LX-2 is a great travel camera because it takes 10 megapixel photos in widescreen mode. Its built rock solid. Pictures in low light may be a problem however.

Pentax makes a couple models that are shock and waterproof

I have a Pentax Optio which has suffered a couple of crashes to the floor as well as a number of beers over it without any ill-effect.

Regards

PSP

:)

• 1 year later...

Olympus has now replaced its teardrop shaped Mju-mini which was weatherproof very minimally, and the models recommended so far are all again moderately weather proof.

If you want REAL durable look at the Mju 790 W, 850 SW and 1030 SW - these models are widescreen 'Tough' branded and are truly waterproof, shockproof, and freezeproof to varying degrees...as well as crushproof rated. I know this because I am just now buying the top of range Mju 1030SW to replace my former Mju mini. This camera has the highest rating but they can ALL be used IN water to several metres.

Marketed as The "lifeproof" digital camera, 1030SW is drop shock proof from up to 2 metres , crush proof up to 100kg, and freezeproof to -10 or more, with ordinary waterproof to 10m, and usable to 40m with underwater case. With 10.1 megap pixels thats quite a range most of which you will never use.... details on olympus.com

Edited by Agent09

Follow my dark tinged 'tweets' on Twitter on Agent 09 Twitter or find me on FACEBOOK as 'Serious Black' (Agent 09), Check out one  of my themed TR 'mini novels' here: 

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/15739-seven-of-oh-nine-7-day-cycles-in-the-bangkok-continuum/  Seven of Oh Nine - my Bangkok adventures in a 7 day period, several instalments 

My old camera

12052-13006.jpg

Canon powershot sd 950is

12.1 mp

great video

amazing camera, small.

I have been using an Olympus Camedia C60 for the last three years. It makes no claims to be a "tough" camera but I have dropped it a couple of times with no damage. I think it has been replaced by a later model now. It may be worth looking at the equivalent range if you want a compact fully auto camera.

Canon powershot sd 950is

12.1 mp

great video

amazing camera, small.

I haven't been in the States in about a year now, but going back next month. What's the Canon 950is going for in the discount stores? am looking for one that has both superb photos and video, in one small package. This may be the one if it's under $300.

• 1 year later...

I have had several Canon Powershot cameras. They keep getting better and cheaper so I kleep finding reasons to pass off my old camera to a family member. And, of course, I buy a new Canon camera.