IGNORED

Sea Fishing

littlewaster

I am in Pats for a couple of weeks and have been told by some expats that the seafishing is not worth shaking a rod at.

Any views/ experieneces; and if positive any recommendations as to which operator to deal with.

Cheers in anticipation

Hi mate,

i can not helping u with that but would like to know to how it is.

a i like sea fishing to.

greets

sponge bob

• 3 months later...

Some one mentioned they would like to go fishing and now I can't find the post.But here is the information I have.

If you want to go fishing, a 24 hours trip, you may contact a finnish guy running a small bar, "Lassi`s Place", at 175/27 M.10 Soi Diamond, South Pattaya. Phone number 710274.

He usually takes a small group of 6-8 people to a trip once a week, I think on Tuesday or Wednesday. That is not expensive...Then on Thursday you can visit the place and enjoy a good fish soup for free.

Catch a BIG one

Some one mentioned they would like to go fishing and now I can't find the post.But here is the information I have.

If you want to go fishing, a 24 hours trip, you may contact a finnish guy running a small bar, "Lassi`s Place", at 175/27 M.10 Soi Diamond, South Pattaya. Phone number 710274.

He usually takes a small group of 6-8 people to a trip once a week, I think on Tuesday or Wednesday. That is not expensive...Then on Thursday you can visit the place and enjoy a good fish soup for free.

Catch a BIG one

good info dude can i expext big gmae fishing in pattaya like marlin

I havent been in Pattaya however i did go in Phuket.

A freind and I negotiated a price down to 6000baht between us , everything included but grog.

we spoke to an expat and he told us we had been ripped off etc etc.

The morning arrived and we cuaght the bus out to the peir along with about 40 other people going to Pi Pi Isalnd etc as we got off 40 people got on one boat and me and my mate got on a boat that was bigger than the one carrying 40 others.

We had this huge boat all to ourselves , two thai crew plus our Thai driver who we paid 400baht to drive us around Phuket.

We went 40 miles off the coast of thailand caught 8 huge blackfin tuna , we then docked at this Island that had this massive reef , The crew supplied us snorkeling gear and me and my mate went snorkeling in this magnificient reef for 45 minutes whilst the crew cooked our lunch.

My mate and I then sat upstairs on this huge boat , eating our lunch and having a couple of beers , whilst we pondered on what the poor people of the world where doing that day.

We left at approx 6.00am and returned about 4.oopm

For the cost of $90 australian it was one of the best few days of my life.

The fishing itself is a bit mundane as they do everything you just sit in the chair and reel them in,

Dont know what its like in Pattaya for the price you pay, it wouldnt have to be too much to be worth it..

Edited by nus01

the sea fishing is great here at night 5000 baht 7 pm- 7 am (up2u) can fit about 5 on the boat and you can catch shark, sting ray, squid, barracuda. Best of getting the boat from bang saray.

rods and bait included

Fishing from Pattaya is generally shit and overpriced as its just another tourist trip to the Thais. The boats from Pattaya are usually good and comfortable but the skippers are just pilots and know little about the fishing grounds.

Invariably you will be taken about 1 mile out to sea and then parked up for the day. You will catch lots of fish all under 1 kilo although this will include Red Snapper which is nice to eat. However the sea MOVES and to fish properly the boat needs to move too i.e. from ground to ground depending on the tide.

There ARE some good outfits in Pattaya who will take you to deep water and know what they are doing but expect to pay through the nose for those.

I fish from Bang Saray - 4,500 for 12 hourse (day or night) or 6000 for 24 hours. 24 hours is a LONG time on a small boat. If you want big fish here you must fish night time. Afterwards 500 tip to skipper is the norm especially if a good catch.

The boat I use can hold 6 fishermen at a push but I would suggest a max of 4 as its a small boat with little in the way of home comfort. However, the skipper KNOWS the waters and you will move with the time, sunlight and tide to the best grounds.

My last trip yeilded (for me personally)

24 kilo stingray - 30 minutes to land

1 small shark - maybe 12 kilo

8 Barracuda, 3 of which were very good size

20+ smaller fish but several 2k+ yellow fin which are fantastic to BBQ

The Barracuda fishing is great - when they come you catch lots and they are good fight without the pain and strain of the Rays. The Ray took 30 minutes to haul in with a harness and I really was gonna die - I would NOT recommend that if you are small or inexperienced. There is NO catch chaor on this boat.

When I went with Bryan he hooked an absolute monster but after 20 minutes it beat him. I have no idea "how big" but it was certainly bigger than the 24 kilo Ray. I think it was probably a large Ray as their shape makes them very difficult to land unlike a large shark or sunfish whcih tend to swim up and are more streamlined. Thsi one got away after 20 minutes due to a bit of luck on his part and a small degree of inexperience when the line was allowed to slacken. Bryan is a BIG lad but ask him how his body and arms felt after 20 minutes - the reel was really singing!!

We aslo saw dolphin which is always a thrill.

Directions

Drive along Bang Saray Beach

Almost exactly half way is a large corrugated roofed bar called Roong San, owned by San and his wife.

It is my absolute favourite bar here - great chill pace as its ON the beach and does great food and ice cold beers. Great service from the waitresses and from MR and Mrs San but NO girlys sorry.

If you go you can see a picture of me with the Ray on the wall :)

Tell San that Khun Andrew told you to go.

Some Tips:-

Night time fishing is better for big fish but if you want large volume daytiume is better.

500 Tip for Skipper if a good haul - 300 if not so good.

If you are after Big Fish remember they only come along once in a blue moon - if you catch ONE monster you are doing well. Do NOT expect to be dragging in big fish every 30 minutes, its not gonna happen.

ASk to go to the Barracuda ground (called Beer in Thai) - this will guarantee you fish and its good sport although they are usually only 3-5 kilo fish due to being thin.

IF you fish for Beer (Barracuda) NEVER handle the fish. Let the skipper do it as these things are dangerous.

If you catch a Sting Ray again do NOT touch the fish until the skipper has removed the tail and barbs - these things can KILL!

Do NOT take a TG - they will get sick or bored or probably both.

If you go at night prepare for sea-sickness. However hardy you are on water or however calm it is, you cannot see the horizon and EVERYONE gets queazy to some degree.

Take a coat - its gets cold around 3-4 am.

Take food and drink - beer is OK but do NOT get drunk or the skipper will bring you home. Its not "up to you" when your on a boat, his decision is final.

TELL the skipper what you want. I would suggest Beer ground then ask for large fish. He WILL take to to the Yellow Fin grounds if you want more volume of smaller sizes.

Any further info' required ask in this thread :rolleyes:

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!