Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Downloading Pix Using Internet Cafe PCs

SunnysideUp

Gentlemen,

I'll be taking a digital camera as well as a USB memory stick to Thailand in my upcoming trip. No laptop, though. My plan is to download pictures from the camera to the memory stick with the use of computers at internet cafes. I download pictures at home using the software that came with the camera. Simple. Since I'll be using a public PC without this software, how do I go about downloading the pictures onto the memory stick?

Gentlemen,

I'll be taking a digital camera as well as a USB memory stick to Thailand in my upcoming trip. No laptop, though. My plan is to download pictures from the camera to the memory stick with the use of computers at internet cafes. I download pictures at home using the software that came with the camera. Simple. Since I'll be using a public PC without this software, how do I go about downloading the pictures onto the memory stick?

Make sure the PC you use has windows XP. If the camera is fairly modern you will be able to connect it to the PC and just copy the pics to the memory stick using windows explorer. No need to install any software. If the pictures are a bit raunchy it may be a good idea to encrypt them.

Thanks gogo dog. Just tried it. You're absolutely right. What a bonehead question that was. You can see how computer savvy I am. At least now I'll feel comfortable shooting away. Thanks bud!

Sometimes if i need to free up space on my memory cards when I am out and about without my laptop I just go into a photo shop and get the contents put onto a disk which allows me to delete the card and carry on snapping. You can also use the disk as an easy way to get your pics onto a net cafe pc and upload them to the net. Costs next to nothing.

With the cost of cards these days, it might be simpler to buy another and save the trouble. Cultural pics on one, girly pics on another!

Be scene and not herd.

Very good advices rakirun and laawman. My Fuji digital camera uses an xD card. They tend to cost 50% to 100% more than their counterparts, sd and compactflash. Fuji and Olympus own the xD technology and are keeping the prices elevated. Also, I don't like having to carry an extra card around and have it exposed to the hot and humid climate.

when attaching your usb stick in the internet cafe's computer, hold the left shift button. This will stop the computer from auto-start. In other words, if there is a virus on the computer, it may automatically insert the virus on any peripheral that is attached.

There are some usb sticks with U3. U3 will automatically make a menu pop up when you add the usb stick. Pressing left shift will stop it from starting up...that is the only downside.

This is a question that has been perplexing me. I will not be taking my laptop with me but I have a SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB flsah drive which is U3 compatible. I can plug my USB into an internet cafe computer and then I will need to plug my camera connection into another USB port on the computer. Will I then effectively be downloading my photos onto the internet cafe computer before uploading them again to my USB drive? If so this will presumably leave copies of my photos on the hard drive of the internet cafe? I am not that tech savvy, so would appreciate advice. Thanks.

I had the same idea to transfer from camera to a flashdrive- but many internet cafes I went too this year had their computers set up so it did not recognise USB devices- probably a security thing for them- (the log on was not set up as admin and USB was disabled) so before you fork out for an hours worth of internet or computer use ensure that what you are planning is possible- like was said earlier- it may be better just to get a few memory cards for your camera

my eyes hurt

This is a question that has been perplexing me. I will not be taking my laptop with me but I have a SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB flsah drive which is U3 compatible. I can plug my USB into an internet cafe computer and then I will need to plug my camera connection into another USB port on the computer. Will I then effectively be downloading my photos onto the internet cafe computer before uploading them again to my USB drive? If so this will presumably leave copies of my photos on the hard drive of the internet cafe? I am not that tech savvy, so would appreciate advice. Thanks.

Once the PC has recognised the camera and memory stick they will appear as two separate drives in windows explorer. You just copy the pictures from the camera to the memory stick. You do not need to copy the pictures to the hard drive of the PC.

When using internet cafes like this in Thailand be very careful about viruses. I have used a USB stick in cafes in Pattaya in the past but have always had it write protected. A couple of times I got a message that a write to the stick did not work. I was not trying to save anything to the stick at the time. It was probably a virus trying to infect the stick.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....