IGNORED

Buy or rent a motor, long stay?

Wedders

Never thought much about this before, but an annoying Thai woman has just finished telling me how farangs are stupid to rent long-term, when they can pick up a good second-hand motor, with a good resale value.

So I am coming to Pattaya for 7 months - I spend on average 8 months a year there. Don't own a home, always rent.

The cheapest monthly rental I've come across so far is 700 baht per day, including collision waiver and GPS, for a Jazz.

So about 21000 per month - 147,000 baht over my stay.

Trouble is, as I tried to tell the woman, I know little about motors, and don't speak enough Thai. It's bad enough avoiding the cowboys in your own country, where you speak the lingo.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Try this guy . He's from Belgium and speaks a little English . He rents out cheaper cars

(with GPS) starting from 9.900 Baht a month .

http://www.pp-rentals.com/

You won't lose much money on buying a car but for 70k you don't wanna go true the

hassle and paperwork of buy and sell .

• 3 weeks later...

That sounds like a pretty good option at under 10 K per month. The cars don't look great though so not sure if you will have problems each week with them breaking down. When I rent a car in Pattaya I always use a reputable company with decent cars as the last thing I want is hassle while im on holiday

Can't be registered in your name as I understand. Maybe u should put a post up on PA in the wanted section, might come up with some good options? Do you really need a car full-time?

I'm near Cosy Beach, I have a 3 year old I have to take to school and back, other side of Sukhumvit (Chayaphruek 2) every day... plus need to get into Jomtien or Pattaya pretty often. I also take the kid up to Bangkok every other weekend... so all in all it makes life a bit easier. Rented one last stay for five months, a newish Micra or equivalent, and I did a lot of miles, despite living at the north end of Walking Street. Still, somehow seems like 21000 per month could be better spent.

• 2 weeks later...

If you spend an average of 8 months a year in Patts makes more sense to buy, there are some very good buys in the second hand market but you Must get some one who knows when a vehicle is genuine to help you, the Thais are very good at making a relic look desirable. Must be some experts on PA who might help

Buying and selling every 8 months would be a real pain. But if you are planning to come here regularly could you buy and park up the car when you are away? I'd be happy to let you park at my condo (for use of the car)

Can't be registered in your name as I understand. Maybe u should put a post up on PA in the wanted section, might come up with some good options? Do you really need a car full-time?

Both cars & motorcyles can be bought in a farang name .

Buying would also depend on your visa status, holiday visas do not count, you need a non-immigrant visa at least

• 2 weeks later...
Buying would also depend on your visa status, holiday visas do not count, you need a non-immigrant visa at least

kpb - I've got a non-immigrant O, multiple entry, 1 year.

Buying and selling every 8 months would be a real pain. But if you are planning to come here regularly could you buy and park up the car when you are away? I'd be happy to let you park at my condo (for use of the car)

Thanks definitely worth thinking about, suppose I can get some insurance that would cover it ok ...

If you spend an average of 8 months a year in Patts makes more sense to buy, there are some very good buys in the second hand market but you Must get some one who knows when a vehicle is genuine to help you, the Thais are very good at making a relic look desirable. Must be some experts on PA who might help

That's my problem, need someone who knows cars...

Both cars & motorcyles can be bought in a farang name .

Yes....

Personally, if finances allow, I would buy a small car. As a regular visitor, I got sick of the rental BS everytime I rented a scooter. I was also mindfull that when tourist numbers fall in the low season, a dubious renter might say I scratched it and try and sting me like the jet ski boys do. I always worried about parking outside the hotel over night with a hire car and wondering who might have a spare key!!! It's easy to get the green book in your name, if that's important to you.