IGNORED

New Airport to Downtown BKK?

DB1

Hi All,

Newbie to the board and just about to return to LOS after nearly 4 years absence, prior to heading to Patts I'm going to spend a few days in Bangkok and was just wondering what's the best way to get from the new airport to downtown BKK - Shukumvit of course :-) - without spending a fortune?

Cheers

DB1

taxi on level one, or the bus, the bus being the cheapest way to get there......oh and welcome to the board mate......

I said Jim Beam and Coke, not J & B and coke, silly TG............

Bloody hell that was quick!

Many thanks for info and welcome - any idea of approx taxi cost - can't be arsed with bus while I'm carrying luggage!

cheers

DB1

few hundred baht depending on where your going, he may ask if you will pay tolls for the express way, all and all mate, a few quid total, should be set up nicely..... Just ignore the idiots when you exit customs and go up one level, that is where you will see the taxi que......

Cheers

jimmy

I said Jim Beam and Coke, not J & B and coke, silly TG............

Guest Harlequin

Don't forget to add 50 Baht to the meter fare. All trips starting from the airport have this surcharge - the guy isn't trying to rip you off.

Four weeks ago i payed 200b plus tolls{70B} to Soi Nana on Sukhumvit.

Go up to the arrivals level,and grab a cab as they drop off a punter,No 50B fee.

But make sure you ask to put meter on before getting in,if he says no,just grab another cab.

Ned

Thanks guys,

well aware of the issues with touts and meters, just haven't flown through the new airport yet so wondered if there were any specifics to be aware of.

I'll be fine with this advice

cheers

DB1

The best thing to do is head straight for departures on the upper floor.

Make sure you avoid any taxi hawkers that you will meet on the way.

Then go outside the departure hall and you will see taxis that have just dropped off, not sure if they are supposed to pick up here but Ive never had any problem.

then either ask the driver to use the meter or negotiate the fare b4 he sets off.

He will ask for some cash for tolls, the tolls amount to about 70 bht as far as i remember.

the fare and tolls shouldnt cost more than about 300 bht and using this method avoids any queing.

Cheers Mick

On my last trip in March 2007;

I walked strait past all the taxi/ limo reps;

Proceeded to ground floor ;

Got a bus to pattaya, 150bht, (Air con bus)

Good trip, driver did not put the fear of god in me like taxi/limo drivers;

On arrivel at Pattaya, got onto "like Baht bus"truck; This then takes you to hotel,(included in the 150bht fee)

I was so pleased with the money i had saved; i gave driver 50 bht tip:

Just pay for the taxi. A metered one should be like as said above, I think I paid 250 last trip and like 65 in tolls. Just do not listen to all the people when you land offering you a taxi for like 800 :P

As the others said, go up all the way to the departure level just like at the old airport. Take on the arriving cabs who drop people. The guy will be more than happy to have your business. No fee, no extras, just the taxi meter. Depending on your arrival time (late nite if you come from the US) you DO NOT need the toll way. Just tell him to take Rama 9 and that gets you right into the center. Some bastards might try to take you via On Nut to make some extra bucks. No need for that. Airport lower sukumvit like Asoke and nan should cost not more than 200 Baht (incl. tip). If your heading towards Silom tell him to take Rama 9 and then Asoke-Ratchadapisek.

Thanks guys,

so basically same same - but slightly different! :-)

I'll head for departures and grab a meter taxi - the anticipation is building big time now!

Cheers

DB1

Another alternative is to take a bus into town to the BTS and then grab the skytrain to your hotel. Obviously if your hotel isnt close to the skytrain then forget it. The cost is between 45 -55 baht for the bus to the skytrain and around the same for the skytrain depending on where you are getting off. So all up you are looking at around 100 baht. The whole process takes about 1 hour from start to finish.

I was alerted to this service on another forum board recently and used it last week and it is a winner.

When you exit departures head for the free shuttle bus to the transportation centre. It takes about 5 minutes to get there on the bus. When you arrive there get off and look for the white minivans that are parked at the end of the row of big buses. This row can be quite long but they will be at the end. Near the buses you will see the tables set up selling tickets. The destinations for the buses are written in thai and english and you just head up and buy your ticket. Then you get on the bus and wait for it to fill up and then you are off. I guess I waited about 7 minutes and then we were gone. The bus took me to Victory monument where it terminates. You then walk up to the BTS, buy a ticket for where you want to go and hey presto you are off.

If you have SH*TLOADS of luggage or a first timer to BKK then this service probably isnt for you. But if you know your way around town and want to save a few baht and still get to where you want to downtown in around the same time as a taxi will get there then these minivans are the go.

You know it makes sense...

Has any taken Bus # 59? I saw sometimes at odd times like 4 or 5 AM in Bangkok on Rama or Sukumvit. It goes to the airport, is aircon and costs something like 20 baht or so. Any input? Keep in mind, lots of people work at the airport who cant afford own cars and still need to get to work and look presentable. I dated a bookstore sales girl one time. Sweeeeet memories......