IGNORED

International Driving Permit (AKA Licence) - Definitive

Edge

Well I was going to try and get an IDP for my upcoming 1 month trip, but as a Belgian looks like it's no use really, as they are invalid?

Or would I get away with having the 'wrong' one. Mind you, I'd hire a motorbike for a month so I'd need a stamp in the first category, which I probably won't get.

In Belgium you are allowed to drive 125cc motorbikes with a car licence, but there's no seperate category for 125cc bikes on the IDP. Any advice?

do not worry the Belgium IDP are accepted as i received even my Thai Motorbike& car license with it , and different than many other country's the Belgian IDP can only received by communal personal service & by checking about your BE. drivers licence..... NOT a postal buying thing that one !

BTW: my BE car permit allows me driving automaticallythe 135 cc+ motorbikes (long time BE permit )

Brng your own helmet & wear it , it save you money but most important ...;keeps your brain inside skull .....!! as the Thai" salad bowls" are a joke

Edited by david555

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

• 6 months later...

can i get residency certificate on turist multi entry, and I live with my gf in her condo

i got bank acc, may b some bank statement with adress?

possible or not ?

i got uk IDP B, i guess cant drive bike on that one ? :)

can i get residency certificate on turist multi entry, and I live with my gf in her condo

i got bank acc, may b some bank statement with adress?

possible or not ?

i got uk IDP B, i guess cant drive bike on that one ? :)

You should be OK to get your One Year (Temporary) DL for Cars - might struggle to get the 5 year renewal with a Tourist Visa.

Always exceptions, but unless your DL and IDP show the bike category you'll have to take the test to get the M/bike licence (2 separate licences) but it isn't difficult I'm told.

You should be OK to get your One Year (Temporary) DL for Cars - might struggle to get the 5 year renewal with a Tourist Visa.

Always exceptions, but unless your DL and IDP show the bike category you'll have to take the test to get the M/bike licence (2 separate licences) but it isn't difficult I'm told.

i mean can i get residency certificate from emmigration?

and i dont need car licence, i got international for cars, for a year

all i want is bike licence

i mean can i get residency certificate from emmigration?

and i dont need car licence, i got international for cars, for a year

all i want is bike licence

OK to Res Cert - shouldn't be a problem with TV (not Visa Exemption) and evidence of GF's address.

As said, you'll almost certainly have to take the test for a m/bike licence.

• 2 weeks later...

OK to Res Cert - shouldn't be a problem with TV (not Visa Exemption) and evidence of GF's address.

As said, you'll almost certainly have to take the test for a m/bike licence.

Visa Exemption/Waiver no problem - picked up two (I know I only needed one plus copy :Oops1: ) at Jomtien last week to renew my licences.

Visa Exemption/Waiver no problem - picked up two (I know I only needed one plus copy :Oops1: ) at Jomtien last week to renew my licences.

Fair enough, but others have said "cannot - must have Visa" - dunno.

Always exceptions and different interpretations by different officers.

Yep TIT but not heard of a refusaI at Jomtien if you have the correct documents? Maybe I have just been lucky the last 3 years - unfortunately you definitely cannot get a 5 year licence with VE, or not that I have been able to find at the Pattaya licencing centre, which is why I have to keep renewing.

Yep TIT but not heard of a refusaI at Jomtien if you have the correct documents? Maybe I have just been lucky the last 3 years - unfortunately you definitely cannot get a 5 year licence with VE, or not that I have been able to find at the Pattaya licencing centre, which is why I have to keep renewing.

Ah! I may be confusing myself or maybe it's the Alzheimer's.

That may be the difference I'm thinking of - One Year versus 5 Year renewal.

So, are you saying you can get a RC from Jomtien with  VE, but then Traffic still check your Visa status?

Drifting further off course, someone said you need at least a TV to get a RC to buy a bike/car - not so?

Ah! I may be confusing myself or maybe it's the Alzheimer's.

That may be the difference I'm thinking of - One Year versus 5 Year renewal.

So, are you saying you can get a RC from Jomtien with  VE, but then Traffic still check your Visa status?

Drifting further off course, someone said you need at least a TV to get a RC to buy a bike/car - not so?

Yes - the girl on the desk checking my papers at the Licencing centre actually said did I know I could only get a one year renewal after she looked at them.

I don't have personal experience of the second part but posts especially on the visa forum suggest you can still do it on VE. From what I read I think a lot of O&G workers if 4 on and 4 off would not bother with a visa and still buy in their own name but as you say this may depend on different Immigration offices/officers.

Edited by Kanga

• 1 year later...

From another forum it states in the law if you have an English license and picture you do not need an IDP for 90 days.

If you fought the ticket you would win by printig out the code, someone has done this.

Now I guess this does not mean crooked dumb police are not going to ticket you.

From another forum it states in the law if you have an English license and picture you do not need an IDP for 90 days.

If you fought the ticket you would win by printig out the code, someone has done this.

Now I guess this does not mean crooked dumb police are not going to ticket you.

In whose "law" and what "code"....link please?

From memory (not good) you can only use a foreign eg UK licence for 90 days without a break (border run) but that's with an IDP.

The 90 day bit has never been enforced to my knowledge, but you'd prove the 90 days by carrying your Passport or how?

Edited by OnTheEdge

Day by day week by week,. sad but true !!!!!

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

• 4 months later...

Bump.

• 1 year later...

As far as I know they are still fcking things up - there was another watchdog item on this issue earlier this year.

My advice if you are worried is to copy your existing licence both parts and have it notarised by a solicitor in case they do make a mistake...

I assume you are concerned about the reports of loss of entitlement to ride a bike?

In whose "law" and what "code"....link please?

From memory (not good) you can only use a foreign eg UK licence for 90 days without a break (border run) but that's with an IDP.

The 90 day bit has never been enforced to my knowledge, but you'd prove the 90 days by carrying your Passport or how?

There is no time limit regarding the use of a foreign license (with IDP) in Thai law. It might be an issue with insurance companies or car rental companies but nothing to do with the law.

This is everything Thai law says about the use of a foreign license:

Title 3 - Driver's license  (Road_Traffic_Act_BE_2522_(1979))

Section 42. A driver shall be licensed and shall, while driving or controlling other driving trainee in driving, possess driving license and a copy of vehicle registration certificate for producing immediately to the competent official, except the driving trainee under section 57.

In case of a driver who is an alien temporarily permitted to reside in the Kingdom under the law on immigration may possess a driving license under section 42 bis while driving in the Kingdom. In this case there shall be accompanied such driving license with the document prescribed in the existing Convention or Agreement between Thai Government and the Government of such country for producing immediately to the competent official45

[The word “vehicle” is amended its spelling in Thai version under section 3 of the Vehicle Act (No. 12), B.E. 2546 (2003).]

Section 42 bis 46. In the case where there is a bilateral agreement between the Government of Thailand and a foreign Government concerning reciprocal recognition of domestic driving licenses, an alien temporarily permitted to stay in the Kingdom under the law on immigration having a driving license issued by the competent official or a driving society recognized by the Government of the country under such bilateral agreement may use the driving license of such country in driving in the Kingdom in accordance with the category and type of vehicle specified in such driving license; provided that the existing Conventions and/or Agreements between the Government of Thailand and the Government of such country and all the provisions relating to the obligations of a driver under this Act must be complied.

45 Section 42 paragraph two is added by the Vehicle Act (No. 8), B.E. 2530 (1987).

46 Section 42 bis is added by the Vehicle Act (No. 8), B.E. 2530 (1987).

• 2 years later...

I've been stopped by Thai police at least one time each time i visit Thailand and rent a motorbike.  Coming from North America, i have a country DL w/motorbike  endorsement.  Only started getting the IDL in 2016, but glad i did.  Prior to 2016, i was stopped, but they let me go.  Now, they're cracking down.  If you don't ride on regular basis, might be difficult to get the motorbike endorsement.  I recommend taking the motorcycle class...it counts as passing the driving portion of the test..you get the motorcycle license, and learn about what to expect when riding a bike in the city.  Get the IDL and a good helmet and you're off.

3 hours ago, gming said:

I've been stopped by Thai police at least one time each time i visit Thailand and rent a motorbike.  Coming from North America, i have a country DL w/motorbike  endorsement.  Only started getting the IDL in 2016, but glad i did.  Prior to 2016, i was stopped, but they let me go.  Now, they're cracking down.  If you don't ride on regular basis, might be difficult to get the motorbike endorsement.  I recommend taking the motorcycle class...it counts as passing the driving portion of the test..you get the motorcycle license, and learn about what to expect when riding a bike in the city.  Get the IDL and a good helmet and you're off.

I don't feel a motorcycle riding class will adequately prepare a new/infrequent rider for riding in Pattaya. The classes are useful at home but experience riding is priceless in Pattaya. IMO

Edited by likeaking

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

• 3 years later...

Do I just need a I.d.p original and copy of my passport for a scooter 125 automatic ? When I was stopped years ago they just checked my I.d.p and I was free to go on my way , has that changed now as I'm due to come back in October 2022 ? 

On 02/01/2013 at 19:12, david555 said:

do not worry the Belgium IDP are accepted as i received even my Thai Motorbike& car license with it , and different than many other country's the Belgian IDP can only received by communal personal service & by checking about your BE. drivers licence..... NOT a postal buying thing that one !

BTW: my BE car permit allows me driving automaticallythe 135 cc+ motorbikes (long time BE permit )

Brng your own helmet & wear it , it save you money but most important ...;keeps your brain inside skull .....!! as the Thai" salad bowls" are a joke

Bringing my own helmet seems to greatly reduce hassle from the BIB.  Cant avoid an alcohol check..but the last few trips I dont have to dig for paperwork....who'd come all that way with their home helmet and not be straight I guess.

But here's something fun..you CANT find an IDP at AAA in California barely at all...there's a huge glut of travel being planned...

IYKYK

24 minutes ago, adam4444 said:

Do I just need a I.d.p original and copy of my passport for a scooter 125 automatic ? When I was stopped years ago they just checked my I.d.p and I was free to go on my way , has that changed now as I'm due to come back in October 2022 ? 

No..it hasnt changed.

The UN has not changed the rules for decades, and never will.

IYKYK

May not affect many people on here but thought I would mention that a licence from an ASEAN country is accepted in Thailand WITHOUT an IDP.  There is a reciprocal arrangement between member countries. 

• 1 month later...

Review of Tiktok Ratchanee Services for driver's license. 

Background - I did my oritinal license in 2010 but it expired and I was unable to get back to renew it.   My passport # is tied to it so I was told I had to do all the tests, videos and agility driving againfor car and motorbike even though I have a current international drivers license.  

I contacted Motts Services and they told me 6k for both but I talked to some westerners there  (using her) that said she was charging more like 9k.   Well I went with Tiktok who said they would do it for 5k all in for both.  
I was picked up on the day I contacted her and taken in a nice car to the license bureau to make and appointment and then returned to my hotel (1hr in total time).

2 days later I was picked up again and moved ahead of the cue and did a color and reaction test and had my license in under 90 min.   Then promptly taken back to my hotel.   No health check and no visit to immigration for me.   It was well worth it as its a bit out of town to go and who knows if I would be caught in bad weather.    I can not recommend their services enough!